The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victor Ortiz-Josesito Lopez?

+2
Diego408
GrantZilla
6 posters

Go down

Victor Ortiz-Josesito Lopez? Empty Victor Ortiz-Josesito Lopez?

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 21, 2012 2:19 am

According to several sources who spoke to BoxingScene.com, Josesito Lopez (29-4, 17KOs) has been approached, and already accepted, the opportunity to face former welterweight champion Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22KOs) on June 23rd at Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. The fight has not been finalized, from what BoxingScene has been told. Ortiz's upcoming fight will be televised on Showtime.

Ortiz was initially scheduled to Andre Berto in a rematch, but last week it was revealed that Berto tested positive for a banned steroid in random drug test administered by VADA [Volunteer Anti-Drug Association].

Lopez has been training for a fight with Kendall Holt, which had been scheduled as an ESPN televised headliner for June 22, but Holt withdrew last week after a disagreement over the planned venue.

Additionally, there is a good possibility that heavyweight Chris Arreola (35-2, 30KOs) will be added to the undercard.

http://tinyurl.com/cje37eh
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Victor Ortiz-Josesito Lopez? Empty Re: Victor Ortiz-Josesito Lopez?

Post  Guest Mon May 21, 2012 6:53 am

Who ?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon May 21, 2012 6:55 am

Ali wrote:Who ?

Got me. Boxrec got him at 13th at Jr Welter

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 21, 2012 7:01 am

I know pickings are slim but is that really the best they could do ?

Amir Khan he's scheduled for July on HBO, he'll likely face Garcia.
Mike Jones is with Top Rank and faces Randal Bailey on June 9th
Marcos Maidana says five weeks isn't enough time to prepare
Kell Brook is facing Carson Jones on July 7th
Devon Alexander is scheduled for Showtime in August
Paulie Malignaggi is waiting to headline the Barclays Center this fall

Who does that leave ?

Jan Zaveck, Breidis Prescott, Kendall Holt, Joan Guzman and DeMarcus Corely.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon May 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Lopez is a good contender at jr welter. I thought Lopez beat Vargas in a close fight last year and of course he would not get a Desicion on a Mayweather promoted card. Lopez also beat Mike Dallas jr lol. A very known fighter from the espn days hahaha
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon May 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Diego408 wrote:Lopez is a good contender at jr welter. I thought Lopez beat Vargas in a close fight last year and of course he would not get a Desicion on a Mayweather promoted card. Lopez also beat Mike Dallas jr lol. A very known fighter from the espn days hahaha

I thought he beat Vargas as well.

Zaveck came to the US for the Berto fight. I don't see him as wanting to take a fight with Ortiz (a southpaw) on 4 weeks notice.

Holt was supposed to fight Lopez in 4 weeks. He backed out because he didn't want to fight outside at night in the California heat. Whatever. He isn't exactly the guy you ask to fight Ortiz on 4 weeks notice.

Jones and Brook are booked. Pac and Mayweather are out. Berto is out. Devon is not taking this fight on short notice. Paulie M. wants to vacation this summer(not fight until October to open Barclays). Kahn is out.

Guzman-no way any big network is putting him on at this point. 147 is a higher weight but he has missed weight too many times to be trusted.

Chop chop would take the fight. Only one listed that really would have taken it.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 22, 2012 11:52 am

So it looks like Golden Boy now canceled way too prematurely.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue May 22, 2012 3:09 pm

I just don't see the problem of them just making Khan vs Ortiz. They're clearly not talking about it. It's a better than decent fight. Ortiz already beat Berto and Khan I thought beat the Drugged out Peterson The first time around but was robbed. Ortiz vs Lopez is an undercard fight, I'm not that interested in it and I hope HBO isn't either.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue May 22, 2012 4:10 pm

tv is being sold a package.soto vs matthess and aerola on the card there hoping it compensates for berto..they may even save a few hundred thousand or much better with berto out making it worthwhile to televise dispite the fact that the main event is a undercard fight.i guess thats there line of thinking anyway..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 am

Considering the short notice its an ok fight. Should be entertaining and theyve added Arreola to the card
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Diego408 wrote:I just don't see the problem of them just making Khan vs Ortiz. They're clearly not talking about it. It's a better than decent fight. Ortiz already beat Berto and Khan I thought beat the Drugged out Peterson The first time around but was robbed. Ortiz vs Lopez is an undercard fight, I'm not that interested in it and I hope HBO isn't either.

It's a tv schedule issue.

Also isn't Khan contracted to HBO ?

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed May 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Ali wrote:
Diego408 wrote:I just don't see the problem of them just making Khan vs Ortiz. They're clearly not talking about it. It's a better than decent fight. Ortiz already beat Berto and Khan I thought beat the Drugged out Peterson The first time around but was robbed. Ortiz vs Lopez is an undercard fight, I'm not that interested in it and I hope HBO isn't either.

It's a tv schedule issue.

Also isn't Khan contracted to HBO ?

Ortiz is showtime for this fight, Khan is HBO.

I'd love to see Khan vs Ortiz, but Khan signed to fight at 140 and he doesn't want to move up to 147 for this next fight. And when he does move up, he will face a lesser fighter than Ortiz in his first fight at the new weight.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if we saw Khan vs. Ortiz late this year, Khan is eager to move up and beating Ortiz would get Mayweather's attention.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat May 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Mike Jones?
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Gumby wrote:
Mike Jones?

lol no I hadn't heard of Lopez before this was announced.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down