The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super 6 Update (SPOILER INSIDE)

3 posters

Go down

Super 6 Update (SPOILER INSIDE) Empty Super 6 Update (SPOILER INSIDE)

Post  captainanddew Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:21 pm

From boxingscene.com

Froch vs Johnson, Ward vs Abraham: For Super Six Semis
Posted by: Lem Satterfield on 11-27-2010.

By Lem Satterfield

In the best performance of his career, England's Carl Froch (27-1, 20KOs) easily out-boxed Germany's Arthur Abraham (31-2, 25KOs) at the Hartwall Arena, regaining by a lopsided, unanimous twelve round decision, the WBC belt he lost to Mikkel Kessler in April. Judges Oren Shellenberger and Max DeLuca each scored it a shutout, 120-109, for Froch, with Burt Clements awarding one round to Abraham by the score of 119-109. Froch picks up two points in the Super Six Boxing Classic, which brings his total to four and makes him the No. 2 seed.

Ward, the No. 1 seed with six points in the Super Six, already has secured a spot in the semifinals that are slated for early 2011. Kessler withdrew from the tournament with an eye injury in August, and his replacement, Glen Johnson (51-14-1, 35 KOs) stopped Green in nine rounds on Nov. 6.

Johnson's stoppage of Green earned him three points in the tournament, tying him for the No. 3 seed with Abraham. Because both Johnson and Abraham have picked up a single knockout win in the tournament, the tie-breaker came down to total scorecard points, which goes to Johnson with 1,021 compared to Abraham's 1,002. When Johnson entered the Super Six to replace Kessler, he gained the Danish fighter's scorecard points.

The way the semifinals are structed, Ward will face Abraham [No. 1 vs. No. 4], and Froch is going to defend his title against Johnson [No. 2 vs. No. 3].

Captain's take:

Ward is going to destroy Abraham if the beating was as bad as you guys were saying a few hours ago.

Ward's footwork and handspeed were way too much for Kessler. Imagine what it will be like for Abraham(who makes Kessler look rather fast by comparison). Ward gives Abraham a stiff jab and angles all night.

Johnson vs Froch-I won't predict until I see how good Froch looked tonight.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Super 6 Update (SPOILER INSIDE) Empty Re: Super 6 Update (SPOILER INSIDE)

Post  Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:28 pm

unfortunately, it appears the semi final will be: Froch vs AA 2, and Ward vs Glen

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:29 pm

it will be interesting to here an announcement from Sauerland about their continuation in the comp

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Canvas wrote:unfortunately, it appears the semi final will be: Froch vs AA 2, and Ward vs Glen

read the post

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:38 pm

the article says it is Ward vs Abraham and Froch vs Johnson. Mr. Twinkie (Dan Rafael) is reporting the same thing via his twitter on espn.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:38 pm

dbudge wrote:
Canvas wrote:unfortunately, it appears the semi final will be: Froch vs AA 2, and Ward vs Glen

read the post

I was just going off what the Brit announcers were saying, and Rafeal. I actually prefer Road Warrior not fight Ward next.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:39 pm

captainanddew wrote:the article says it is Ward vs Abraham and Froch vs Johnson. Mr. Twinkie (Dan Rafael) is reporting the same thing via his twitter on espn.

Oh, okay. I thought I read Rafael saying Froch AA 2 next.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Yeah Ward = Dirrell + a fighting heart and mental toughness

Ward will give AA a real tough time. Johnson vs froch could be an excellent fight. Great news.

Back to top Go down

Super 6 Update (SPOILER INSIDE) Empty Arthur Abraham-lets look closer

Post  captainanddew Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:06 pm

Canvas wrote:Yeah Ward = Dirrell + a fighting heart and mental toughness
Ward will give AA a real tough time. Johnson vs froch could be an excellent fight. Great news.

Abraham has not looked good against the elite at 168. Honestly though after taking some time to reflect, did he ever face any good boxers at 160? He beat the following guys from 2006 to 2009:

Shannan Taylor
Kofi Jantuah
Miranda
Sebastian Demiers
Khoren Gevor
Wayne Elcock
Elvin Ayala
Miranda
Raul Marquez
Lajuan Simon
Mahir Oral

How many guys with good feet and fast hands are on that list????? I'd venture to say none. Abraham didn't face elite guys who could box at 160. Those are decent fighters but I'd venture to say the super 6 (even the shot Taylor) were so much better than the competition he faced at 160.

Going up in weight and facing elite guys who can really box appears in retrospect to have been a bad recipe for King Arthur.

He has plan A, which worked fine against decent guys at 160, but was not likely to be enough against the top few guys at 168.

In retrospect we didn't give enough credit to the talent in the super 6 and overrated the abilities of Abraham.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:31 am

Froch vs Johnson is going to be alot of fun, Abe will be extremely desperate against Ward.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:33 am

What are the odds that Abe pulls out of the tournament? The risk of three defeats in a row would be devastating to his career or downright finish it. I was one of those that over rated Abraham and I favored him to win re tournament. I don't think Abe will fight in the next round.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:37 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:What are the odds that Abe pulls out of the tournament? The risk of three defeats in a row would be devastating to his career or downright finish it. I was one of those that over rated Abraham and I favored him to win re tournament. I don't think Abe will fight in the next round.

Honestly alot of us are guilty of overrating Abe but he's still a solid fighter with dangerous power and a granite chin.

Will he pull out.. maybe, but I really hope he doesn't do that, the tournament has had enough withdrawals.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:58 pm

i think if Sauerland can secure home advantage, which i think is highly possible seeing as Ward has yet to fight on the road, then i doubt he'll pull out. it's the biggest payday there for him and he is contractually obligated. he's a prizefighter and he'll want to get back into the ring to prove people wrong. Abraham is dangerous in any fight he is in because he has that devestating power, Ward isn't as big as Froch. Ward should easily outpoint him though, i really hope Abraham doesn't pull out

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:37 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:What are the odds that Abe pulls out of the tournament? The risk of three defeats in a row would be devastating to his career or downright finish it. I was one of those that over rated Abraham and I favored him to win re tournament. I don't think Abe will fight in the next round.

Bump because im never right.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down