The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!!

4 posters

Go down

HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!! Empty HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!!

Post  Guest Fri May 11, 2012 4:09 pm

The trickle-down from the cancellation of the Lamont Peterson-Amir Khan junior welterweight title rematch has begun.

Peterson and Khan were supposed to fight May 19 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, but after it was revealed that Peterson failed a random drug test, the fight was canceled on Wednesday.

With the main event off, Golden Boy and HBO had little choice but to cancel the entire show. That meant junior lightweight titlist Adrien Broner, due to make defend against England's Gary Sykes (20-2, 5 KOs) in the televised co-feature, was also left without a fight.

The fight with Sykes, considered a mismatch in the eyes of most, won't be rescheduled.

Instead, Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer has been busy working on alternate plans over the past day. While Khan likely will fight somebody other than Peterson on a date to be determined in July, Schaefer told ESPN.com that Broner "will be fighting July 21 from Cincinnati, most likely against Vicente Escobedo, assuming he wins this weekend."

Broner (23-0, 19 KOs), who is from Cincinnati, would headline an HBO "Boxing After Dark" card against Escobedo (25-3, 15 KOs). But Escobedo, a 2004 U.S. Olympian, must first take care of business against heavy underdog Juan Ruiz (23-9, 7 KOs) on Saturday night in the "Solo Boxeo Tecate" main event on Telefutura in Escobedo's hometown of Woodland, Calif.

A Broner-Escobedo fight had always been on the drawing board for this summer, as Broner was expected to handle Sykes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/1138/cancellation-changes-broners-plans

Last edited by Ali on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!! Empty Re: HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!!

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Considering the competition Broner has faced, Escobedo is a huge step up. Says a lot of Broner's compeition. Or little. Depending on how you look at it.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!! Empty Re: HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!!

Post  Guest Sat May 12, 2012 12:41 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Considering the competition Broner has faced, Escobedo is a huge step up. Says a lot of Broner's compeition. Or little. Depending on how you look at it.

To be fair he's in an extremely weak division, Broner needs to move up to Lightweight for better challenges.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat May 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Considering the competition Broner has faced, Escobedo is a huge step up. Says a lot of Broner's compeition. Or little. Depending on how you look at it.

To be fair he's in an extremely weak division, Broner needs to move up to Lightweight for better challenges.

If he had blown through Uchiyama or Salgado, like they weren't there, then I would understand this line of thinking. But when you beat a couple of lower top 10 guys, it doesn't say that much. beat the top guys then move up. If they won't fight you then fine.

Only time Broner faced a guy that has proven he was truly world class in any division (Ponce De Leon-from lower division), Broner arguably lost.

But smart fans see Broner get a questionable decision against Ponce who isn't a 130 pound figher, beat Litzau (who got his ass kicked every time he stepped up except against Cab), and Perez(who tested positive after the fight for cocaine), and start spouting that he has no competition.

It is pure lunancy to claim someone has no competition, when he hasn't faced the best competition at the weight.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat May 12, 2012 4:43 pm

He should fight Salido. It's very winnable and he'll get a good purse.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!! Empty HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!!

Post  Guest Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:28 am

HBO: Adrien Broner vs. Vicente Escobedo this Saturday !!! BronerEscobedoFinalPC_Hoganphotos(1)

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Diego408 wrote:He should fight Salido. It's very winnable and he'll get a good purse.

salido has had some fights at 130 before but he is campaigning at 126.

How about fighting one of the top guys at 130?

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:46 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Diego408 wrote:He should fight Salido. It's very winnable and he'll get a good purse.

That's not how Haymon manages his fighters. Once he or other managers have a potential fight star, they keep him fighting bums.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Diego408 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

That's not how Haymon manages his fighters. Once he or other managers have a potential fight star, they keep him fighting bums.

and he gets them PAID BIG TIME BY HBO/SHO. And we get shitty, non-competitive fights. HBO and Showtime pay for shit we don't want and we get fucked over as fans.

Why I told him that on twitter and he refused to respond to my argument.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Berto is the perfect example of this. At the end he just sucked and still has no fan base. HBO and Showtime have to stop showing mismatches with guys they believe are going to be stars. The way fighters get popularity is based on who they beat! It's always been this way and will continue to be this way.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:46 pm

when HBO/Showtime give us Canelo or Chavez Jr. fights, thinking they could be stars in the future, I understand it. Why?

Because both guys have the big fanbase(live and tv). So HBO will do well and if they prove to not be stars at least they put on guys that have a fanbase.

When HBO/Showtime give us guys like Berto that, while talented, don't draw alot of people to watch them live or on tv, and haven't proven to be truly elite, then they are wasting our time.

Berto should not have been headlining shows on HBO or Showtime, and especially not getting paid what he did. I don't hate Berto for getting the money. I hate that HBO was spending that % of their yearly budget on Andre Berto fights. If I made a list of 10 fighters I really wanted to see fight (when he had most of his previous fights), he wasn't on the list.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:51 pm

when HBO/Showtime give us Canelo or Chavez Jr. fights, thinking they could be stars in the future, I understand it. Why?

Because both guys have the big fanbase(live and tv). So HBO will do well and if they prove to not be stars at least they put on guys that have a fanbase.

When HBO/Showtime give us guys like Berto that, while talented, don't draw alot of people to watch them live or on tv, and haven't proven to be truly elite, then they are wasting our time.

Berto should not have been headlining shows on HBO or Showtime, and especially not getting paid what he did. I don't hate Berto for getting the money. I hate that HBO was spending that % of their yearly budget on Andre Berto fights. If I made a list of 10 fighters I really wanted to see fight (when he had most of his previous fights), he wasn't on the list.

The networks shouldn't be doing it for ANYBODY!!!

To try to justify for one fighter over another fighter is just ridiculous. Berto, Canelo, Bum Jr, Broner, etc, etc, etc... should be fighting legit competition, PERIOD. What HBO has given us the last couple of years with Canelo and Bum Jr was borderline criminal, and a blatant slap in the face to us boxing fans. And they actually have the audacity to put Canelo up against another 140 pounder in his next fight. I give Bum Jr credit for finally stepping up, but what has gone on over the past few years is totally unacceptable.

HBO has "Champions", who should be fighting other Champions or top contenders, fighting a FNF or ShoBox schedule...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:36 am

hillsicc303 wrote:

The networks shouldn't be doing it for ANYBODY!!!

To try to justify for one fighter over another fighter is just ridiculous. Berto, Canelo, Bum Jr, Broner, etc, etc, etc... should be fighting legit competition, PERIOD. What HBO has given us the last couple of years with Canelo and Bum Jr was borderline criminal, and a blatant slap in the face to us boxing fans. And they actually have the audacity to put Canelo up against another 140 pounder in his next fight. I give Bum Jr credit for finally stepping up, but what has gone on over the past few years is totally unacceptable.

HBO has "Champions", who should be fighting other Champions or top contenders, fighting a FNF or ShoBox schedule...

Agreed that they shouldn't be doing it for anyone, but at least for the guys with a fanbase, they can justify it by viewership (even if we all completely disagree with showing that fighter).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down