The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mike jones (who?) vs randall bailey for pacquiao-bradleys undercard

5 posters

Go down

mike jones (who?) vs randall bailey for pacquiao-bradleys undercard Empty Re: mike jones (who?) vs randall bailey for pacquiao-bradleys undercard

Post  GrantZilla Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Just Arum trying to get his stable of fighters some exposure
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

mike jones (who?) vs randall bailey for pacquiao-bradleys undercard Empty Re: mike jones (who?) vs randall bailey for pacquiao-bradleys undercard

Post  captainanddew Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Mike Jones, late 20s, welterweight from Philly. Rated in the top 10 by ring magazine at 147 for about a year.

You probably saw him against Jesus Soto Karass. I think it was on the televised undercard of a Pac PPV (Dallas stadium). Jones had Karass reeling and then threw about 100 punches in 1 minute's time. He punched himself out early and was basically dead for most of the fight. He eked it out.

He fought Karass in a rematch and won clearly. I know it was on HBO. No idea if it was BAD or PPV undercard.

He beat Sebastian Lujan a couple of months ago. I think it was Cotto vs. Margacheato PPV.

He has good atheltic ability, not a big puncher, pretty decent boxing skills. He hasn't proven a ton. He has beaten guys we expect lower top 10 guys to take care. He is yet to take on a top guy. I think if he beats Bailey (as he should) and wins the belt then sometime late 2012/early 2013, Jones will be in with a top 5 welter.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:36 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Just Arum trying to get his stable of fighters some exposure

Jones is a top 10 ranked at 147 and a PPV undercard fighter for the last year or so. Jones vs Bailey should be a good fight. I haven't seen anyone test Jones's chin yet and if Bailey can land the right hand early then it will be tested.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 pm

About time Mike jones fights again. That guy is really athletic and has a big upside but he needs to step up.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:About time Mike jones fights again. That guy is really athletic and has a big upside but he needs to step up.
that is a long layoff considering that he fought in cotto's undercard.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Rum Capital wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:About time Mike jones fights again. That guy is really athletic and has a big upside but he needs to step up.
that is a long layoff considering that he fought in cotto's undercard.

yeah, how his career is being run represents alot of what is wrong with the sport. He is a lower top 10 fighter. He can't get any of the big names in the ring as he has no belt, he has no fanbase, and he isn't an easy fight for them.

He wants decent paydays and in order to get him decent paydays they need the PPV slots.

What I don't get about it is why they don't have fights in Philly in between the big events and build a real base there. He could stay busy, make some more fans, and build some momentum. You can't tell me that they couldn't set up a card in Philly and get FNF to come there.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Jones is a decent fighter if a bit inactive; and I've always liked Bailey. Not a bad card overall.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Meh Top Rank aren't doing a great job with Jones, the kid should be challenging for titles and headlining BAD cards IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Ali, this fight is for the IBF title.

What belt was his team supposed to get him to fight for? Pac's, Floyd's, Senchenko's (no way anyone would want to go overseas to fight him).

I don't care for the trinkets much. Even if one does, his team didn't do wrong by him, by not getting Jones a title shot sooner. They have done wrong by him by not having him fight more often.

Do you know why Jones isn't headlining BAD cards? Because where the hell are they going to put the fight???? He has no fanbase to buy tickets!!!! There is a reason he has been the PPV undercard guy. Those are slots his promoter can justify putting him on, because he is a good fighter and is decent for tv, and since it is a big PPV, they don't need to rely on Jones ability (or inability) to sell tickets.

There is only so many BAD cards. Why is the 7th ranked figher at 147 who doesn't destroy guys and sells no tickets going to be the guy HBO wants to put on?????
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down