The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JMM-Rios at Cowboy Stadium on July 14?

+3
powerpuncher
nano212
GrantZilla
7 posters

Go down

JMM-Rios at Cowboy Stadium on July 14?  Empty JMM-Rios at Cowboy Stadium on July 14?

Post  GrantZilla Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Though Brandon Rios is currently reportedly in talks to face Yuriorkis Gamboa on April 14 in Las Vegas, the ex-lightweight titlist is hoping to land a July 14 date in Cowboys Stadium against Juan Manuel Marquez, too

"I would love a fight like that. I would love to fight that guy. ... He’s very smart, very talented, and when he throws his punches he throws to make sure he lands; he’s very accurate. A fight like that, you just got to watch out, always stay on your toes, and be ready for whatever he brings because Marquez is going to come and he’s going to come to win."

Bob Arum apparently still plans to run with Marquez at Cowboys Stadium on that date despite the fact that Lamont Peterson has signed for a May 19 rematch against Amir Khan, and Rios would be as good an opponent as anyone out there.

http://tinyurl.com/7d5xc7x

Last edited by GrantZilla on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

JMM-Rios at Cowboy Stadium on July 14?  Empty Re: JMM-Rios at Cowboy Stadium on July 14?

Post  nano212 Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:25 pm

That would be a great fight! Hopefully its at Lightweight! The Champion versus the #1 Contender! I know they have both talked about moving up to 140lbs I hold out hope if this fight is made they fight at 135lbs!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

JMM-Rios at Cowboy Stadium on July 14?  Empty Re: JMM-Rios at Cowboy Stadium on July 14?

Post  powerpuncher Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:22 pm

lets get it done.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:17 pm

If Bob has any sense he'll make this and put Gamboa on the undercard.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:38 pm

This would be a great fight. Marquez will pick him apart in a war. I think Marquez will stop him late.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 pm

In fact the best scenario for Cowboy stadium is to put Gamboa vs. JuanMa on the undercard.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:In fact the best scenario for Cowboy stadium is to put Gamboa vs. JuanMa on the undercard.
Arum wont ever make that fight. Dont ever expect that guy to throw the boxing fans a bone
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Hagler's Bald Head wrote:In fact the best scenario for Cowboy stadium is to put Gamboa vs. JuanMa on the undercard.
Arum wont ever make that fight. Dont ever expect that guy to throw the boxing fans a bone

Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:28 pm

nano212 wrote:That would be a great fight! Hopefully its at Lightweight! The Champion versus the #1 Contender! I know they have both talked about moving up to 140lbs I hold out hope if this fight is made they fight at 135lbs!

I would actually rather see it at 140. Neither guy has a reason to stick around LW and it's unhealthy for Rios. He looked bad in his last fight.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:52 pm

rios should take an easy fight and then hope for a pac fight instead of risking this. i mean, he does want more money right? boxing isnt about who is the best but about calling out who will make you the most money and cash out your career.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 am

I'd like to see that. It would be a fun card.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

JMM-Rios at Cowboy Stadium on July 14?  Empty Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Brandon Rios July 14th Cowboys Stadium baby

Post  Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:55 am

"Marquez against Rios, yes, that's a possibility for July 14 at Cowboys Stadium if they both win their fights," said Arum. "Marquez is in a good fight against the Russian guy, and we'll bring that to Mexico, where it will be a sold out house I think. From Vegas, we'll have Rios in a fight that will be a helluva war

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/171971-marquez-rios-possible-for-july-14-if-each-wins-on-april-14-

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:08 am

If this comes to fruition it's beautiful.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:05 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:If this comes to fruition it's beautiful.
Its a wonderful match up. When you're talking about pure action its hard to think of a better fight on paper. I really hope it happens.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:34 pm

I hope the fight happens, but I think having it at Cowboy stadium is absurd. Even with the Mexican crowds, I'd be surprised if it got 20k people to show up for a venue that holds close to a 100k.

Have the fight in Mexico City. It'd be packed.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:37 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I hope the fight happens, but I think having it at Cowboy stadium is absurd. Even with the Mexican crowds, I'd be surprised if it got 20k people to show up for a venue that holds close to a 100k.

You kidding? Arum has alot more years in Rios than he does on JMM. Why give JMM a home fight against the only young guy in your stable thats winning? Besides Rios is originally from Lubbock and I think he gets Cowboy Stadium cheap.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:41 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:I hope the fight happens, but I think having it at Cowboy stadium is absurd. Even with the Mexican crowds, I'd be surprised if it got 20k people to show up for a venue that holds close to a 100k.

You kidding? Arum has alot more years in Rios than he does on JMM. Why give JMM a home fight against the only young guy in your stable thats winning? Besides Rios is originally from Lubbock and I think he gets Cowboy Stadium cheap.

Would it be a home fight for JMM? I'd like to think a good part of the crowd would be pro Rios, even if he's Mexican-American.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Hes from Mexico City. He and his brother are gods there. He hosts local boxing show and has a radio gig there. My bro in law is mexican and from a suburb of mex city, fucking worships the marquez bros.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Rios vs. Marquez is perfect for that venue, it's win win for Arum because either guy will go on to face Pac at the end of the year with momentum behind them, or even better they'll be calls for a rematch if the fight turns out to be the instant classic that we expect.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:09 am

Brandon Rios Closing in on Marquez Explosion in Texas

According to Bob Arum, the CEO of Top Rank, next Saturday's split-site pay-per-view is a likely springboard for a potential all-action fight between Juan Manuel Marquez and Brandon Rios.

Both fighters will headline separate events on the HBO/Top Rank pay-per-view telecast. Brandon Rios (29-0-1, 22 KOs) will fight Richard Abril (17-2-1, 8 KOs) for the vacant WBA lightweight title at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, while Márquez (53-6-1, 39 KOs) faces Sergey Fedchenko (30-1, 13 KOs) for the WBO's interim-junior welterweight title at the new Arena Mexico in Mexico City.

If Marquez and Rios pull through as expected, Arum's company will attempt to finalize a deal to match them on July 14th at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

"That's the plan. We would like to have Rios against Marquez at Cowboys Stadium, if they win their fights on Saturday," Arum told BoxingScene.com.

Both Rios and Marquez are willing to fight each other in July.

The winner of Marquez-Rios could very well move on to a potential fight with Manny Pacquiao in the fall - but that possibility depends on the outcome of Pacquiao's fight against Timothy Bradley on June 9th at the MGM Grand.

http://tinyurl.com/86jn3vg
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down