The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss

2 posters

Go down

UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss Empty Anthony Johnson's weight issues

Post  Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Anthony Johnson made weight when it mattered most.

After he came in heavy and weighed 197 pounds for a 185-pound bout with Vitor Belfort at Friday's official UFC 142 fighter weigh-ins, Johnson was told he could weigh no more than 205 pounds after rehydrating.

After a UFC-mandated second weigh-in on event day, he today weighed 204.2 pounds.

Therefore, his fight with Belfort is good to go for tonight's pay-per-view event, which takes place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. However, Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) still must surrender 20 percent of his purse as a fine, which will be issued to Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-4 UFC).

As UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following Friday's weigh-ins, Johnson got as light as 187.5 pounds on the morning of weigh-ins before doctors told him he had to take in fluids. Johnson's reps said he fell ill on the morning of weigh-ins, though White maintains he simply missed weight.

"Complete and absolute unprofessionalism – that's what happened," White said. "There's no other way it can be explained."

Johnson's struggles were especially surprising considering he actually moved up a weight class after twice missing weight at welterweight. UFC 142 marks his middleweight debut, though he weighed 197 pounds (11 pounds over the 186-pound cutoff) at official weigh-ins. The fighter said he weighed 215 pounds as recently as a week and a half ago.

White told MMAjunkie.com that Johnson's contract could be in jeopardy regardless of tonight's outcome.

"His job is on the line," White said. "His job is absolutely on the line, win or lose."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26975/anthony-johnson-weighs-204-2-pounds-ufc-142-co-main-event-is-on.mma

Back to top Go down

UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss Empty Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss

Post  Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:07 pm

UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss Anthony-johnson

Dana says his job is on the line win or lose.

Back to top Go down

UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss Empty Re: UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss

Post  freakzilla Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:40 pm

How the fuck does a guy who fought his last fight at 170 miss weight at 185 by 11 pounds?
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss Empty UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss

Post  freakzilla Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:22 am

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26982/anthony-johnson-released-from-ufc.mma

Anthony Johnson's third weighcutting mistake will be his last in the UFC, at least for now.

Following Saturday night's UFC 142 event at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, UFC president Dana White terminated Johnson's contract.

"This is his third time," White said of Johnson's failure to make weight for the third time in his octagon career. "Three strikes and you're gone."

Johnson (10-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC), of course, missed weight for his co-feature fight with Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC). The UFC president said Johnson came within a pound-and-a-half of the 186-pound limit allowed for non-title middleweight fights but was forced by a doctor to rehydrate because the former welterweight contender "couldn't make it."

"That was one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen," White said. "The guy was at 170 pounds. He moved up to 185 pounds so this wouldn't happen anymore, and this is the worst weightcutting disaster he's ever had. He almost ruined the co-main event here in Brazil. I don't know what else to say about that one. I'm not happy about it."

On Friday, White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Johnson's job would be on the line, regardless of the result of his fight. While his words made it seem as if Johnson could potentially keep his spot in the promotion, the UFC boss said his decision was already made.

"I knew what the decision was when I talked to you on Friday," White told MMAjunkie.com. "This is his third time. Listen, the guy was having problems making 170 pounds. He wanted to stay at 170 or whatever his deal was. You go to 185, and you blow it as bad as he blew it? That's bad, man."

Johnson previously missed weight in welterweight contests with Yoshiyuki Yoshida and Rich Clementi. With this weekend's infraction, in which Johnson ultimately weighed 197 pounds for a 185-pound fight, White said he simply couldn't allow the fighter's actions to go unchecked.

That said, White said he's not forever ruling out the potential for Johnson to return to the promotion at some point.

"I don't dislike the guy," White. "I like him very much actually. When you talk to Anthony Johnson, he's a good guy.

"I don't know who you blame in this one. Do you blame him? Do you blame his team? Do you blame his camp? I mean who takes the blame in this one? Ultimately, you're a grown man. You're responsible for your own actions."
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:53 pm

I've seen a pic of Johnson next to Arlovski and he looked much bigger than Andrei. As much as I hate Dana, I hope he shitcans him ASAP, just totally unprofessional in nearly every fight he's had.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down