The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WBC Plans World Boxing Cup in Eight Weight Divisions

+4
Gumby
powerpuncher
Tobe
GrantZilla
8 posters

Go down

WBC Plans World Boxing Cup in Eight Weight Divisions Empty WBC Plans World Boxing Cup in Eight Weight Divisions

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:36 am

The World Boxing Council (WBC) announced at the 49th Annual convention taking place at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, that next year they plan to launch the World Cup of Boxing in eight different weight categories. The World Cup will jump off in May, culminating in the final stretch of 2012, and the event will coincide with the celebration of the WBC's 50th annual convention, which is scheduled to take place in Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

"This tournament will last about 40 weeks. We have struck a verbal agreement with U.S. television network and expect the participation of every champion within our WBC confederations, and that includes regional, international and silver champions," explained Jose Sulaiman, the WBC's President.

"This World Cup will be good for everyone, the people in boxing. In my opinion this is one of the largest programs that the WBC has promoted in 50 years. We trust that boxers from 164 countries to participate in the WBC's World Cup, including regional and silver champions."

According to Sulaiman, the WBC would deliver significant prize money to the champions of each division in this World Cup, and the champions of each division could earn up to $250,000 dollars.

"This tournament will begin in the month of May 2012. It will last 40 weeks and we plan to have a night of the World Cup during the week of the 50th anniversary of the WBC. Therefore it is important that every promoter talks to their champions to participate."

Some of the eight divisions include flyweight, featherweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight and heavyweight.

http://tinyurl.com/8a6jlnp
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

WBC Plans World Boxing Cup in Eight Weight Divisions Empty Re: WBC Plans World Boxing Cup in Eight Weight Divisions

Post  Tobe Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Could go either way. If it creates good fights I'm for it, but I'm skeptical of anything run by only one alphabet-soup organization. And when they start talking about "silver champions" I have to puke in my mouth a little bit.

I smell a way to grab more B.S. licensing fees and give inactive fighters more of an excuse to sit on the sidelines for a year. Wonder which network they're talking about?
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

WBC Plans World Boxing Cup in Eight Weight Divisions Empty Re: WBC Plans World Boxing Cup in Eight Weight Divisions

Post  powerpuncher Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Tobe wrote:Could go either way. If it creates good fights I'm for it, but I'm skeptical of anything run by only one alphabet-soup organization. And when they start talking about "silver champions" I have to puke in my mouth a little bit.

I smell a way to grab more B.S. licensing fees and give inactive fighters more of an excuse to sit on the sidelines for a year. Wonder which network they're talking about?
i agree. if done right, it could be great for boxing but i just dont see it being done well.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:58 pm

The scheduling and layout are my biggest concerns. I remember I really liked the Versus World Series of boxing until I couldn't figure out the scheduling or scoring. Even with the Super Six I haven't been able to keep up with the schedule for Fight Camp 360s and have had to watch a couple online.

This tournament needs to have clear rules are make it easy to see who is advancing. They should just set it up as a bracket style tournament. What level of fighter is going to be involved? Fringe guys? No hopers? Up and comers? A mix?

If they can get Showtime or HBO to hop in and use some of their undercards to promote this it could be big.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:01 pm

The tournament is too long. Just look at the Super-Six to see what happens when a tournament is too long

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:06 pm

GrantZilla wrote:The tournament is too long. Just look at the Super-Six to see what happens when a tournament is too long
If they get 8 fighters per division and do it as a single elimination it's perfect. The winner will have had 3 quality fights in the year.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:42 pm

if tourny participants are decided by the WBC rankings, this doesn't mean jack shit for boxing lol

140 ratings

Champ: Erik Morales
Champ "in recess:" Tim Bradley
Champ "silver:" Roberto Ortiz
Champ "international:" Prawet Singwangcha

Contenders:

1. Ajose Olusegun (Nigeria)
2. Danny Garcia (US)
3. Prawet Singwangcha (Thai) INTL
4. Lucas Matthysse (Argentina)
5. Pablo Cesar Cano (Mexico)
6. Roberto Ortiz (Mexico) SILVER
7. Yoshihiro Kamegai (Japan)
8. Cesar Cuenca (Argentina)
9. Kendall Holt (US)
10. Josesito Lopez (US)

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Wonder who the US network is
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Groundhog wrote:if tourny participants are decided by the WBC rankings, this doesn't mean jack shit for boxing lol

140 ratings

Champ: Erik Morales
Champ "in recess:" Tim Bradley
Champ "silver:" Roberto Ortiz
Champ "international:" Prawet Singwangcha

Contenders:

1. Ajose Olusegun (Nigeria)
2. Danny Garcia (US)
3. Prawet Singwangcha (Thai) INTL
4. Lucas Matthysse (Argentina)
5. Pablo Cesar Cano (Mexico)
6. Roberto Ortiz (Mexico) SILVER
7. Yoshihiro Kamegai (Japan)
8. Cesar Cuenca (Argentina)
9. Kendall Holt (US)
10. Josesito Lopez (US)

While your point is true in many if not all divisions, I wouldn't mind seeing it at 140. Morales, Bradley, Olusegun, Garcia, and Matthysse would all be in an 8 man tourney. Cano was entertaining enough against Morales as well. That being said, I sincerely doubt Morales, Bradley, Matthysse, and Garcia would get involved with it.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:22 am

WBC Plans World Boxing Cup in Eight Weight Divisions Tyson_10
Tyson attacking Joke Sillyman son's ears
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:01 am

i wouldnt think that they would do the top contenders just because it wouldnt work out very well. i think that a tournament works best with contenders who are bottom top 10 or close to top 10. this is because they dont have exposure yet and want it. they are willing to fight through injuries and everything to keep the tourney going. the problem is when you are having a tourney with bigger names is that they can drop out because they dont need a name.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:33 am

several good points pro and con.first a single elimination is the way to go as gumby points out.thats 3 fights in one year per fighter who makes it to the finals.to complete all divisional matchups in a year we are talking about 24 fights.put 2 fights on per card means a monthly show for a year.great exposure for boxing.
the downside is that several top fighters will not participate because of money .i dont see any tv outlet laying out million doillar plus paydays for several fighters against a unknown opponent.also its the wbc we are talking about.the odds of them doing things totaly right is over a million to one.
the exposure as noted is excellent and i can see some top fighters participating that dont get a million dollar payday or a 500 000 dollar one.
depending on who participates the winner and finalists can establish themselves as a bonafide quality contender or even one who could be considered the real champ.
again with the wbc in charge its hard for me to immagine a smooth well run almost problem free event.i hope im somewhat wrong here.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum