The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video of Khans Pushes and Refs Warnings

+8
SlickMoney
dbudge
dmar5143
Tobe
powerpuncher
flapanther2001
GrantZilla
Shaun
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Video of Khans Pushes and Refs Warnings Empty Video of Khans Pushes and Refs Warnings

Post  Shaun Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:18 am

Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Video of Khans Pushes and Refs Warnings Empty Re: Video of Khans Pushes and Refs Warnings

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:27 am

Khan thought he was a Sumo wrestler. It happens

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Video of Khans Pushes and Refs Warnings Empty Re: Video of Khans Pushes and Refs Warnings

Post  Shaun Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:27 am

GrantZilla wrote:Khan thought he was a Sumo wrestler. It happens

With having 60 pushes in one fight, do you think the 2 point deduction was fair?
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:49 am

For me it wasn't just the pushes, it was the forearm shivers he was nailing Peterson with.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:01 am

thats what ive been saying the whole time. ive seen a lot of pushing from fighters but this was way more than ive ever seen. i dont at all think that the 2 point deductions were unfair.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:56 am

Shaun wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Khan thought he was a Sumo wrestler. It happens

With having 60 pushes in one fight, do you think the 2 point deduction was fair?

He was warned. Then the ref warned him again that it was the last time, and he did it three more times and got a point deduction.

You'd think after the point deduction he'd realize the ref was not going to allow him to keep pushing, and stop. But he kept doing it.

So no, the second point deduction was not unfair. I wish more refs would do that with excessive clinching.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:22 am

The ref could have avoided all this confusion if he just took the proper step of calling time and formally warning Khan about the pushing. It's one thing to tell the fighter, but you've gotta show the judges, the corner and the crowd what your doing too if you want to avoid the contraversy after the fact.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Tobe wrote:The ref could have avoided all this confusion if he just took the proper step of calling time and formally warning Khan about the pushing. It's one thing to tell the fighter, but you've gotta show the judges, the corner and the crowd what your doing too if you want to avoid the contraversy after the fact.
...tobe very good point.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:21 pm

khan perhaps was the master of his own demise, but it is also illegal to lean your head on your opponents chest and come in low offering the back of your head. if a guy is resting his head into your face, what are you supposed to do?? let them continue to do so. i thought the referee was extremely biased. that said, Khan fucked himself. he could have used a stick and move gameplan to win this fight easy. when he held his feet and threw combinations in the centre of the ring Peterson had no response, instead Khan let Peterson bore forward and laid on the ropes alowing peterson to outwork him. Naive tactics from Khan, but the point deductions were what decided the outcome of the fight. i've seen fighters guilty of much worse demeanors in prizefights and not even get warned. when Cooper gave the fighters their final instructions he yelled like an over excited fanboy. i think he was far too inexperienced a ref for this level of contest

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:33 pm

IMO you should only be punished if you're deliberately fouling which is effecting the fight, Khan's got alot of bad habits Freddie needs to iron out but I don't see any malice in his actions.

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:04 pm

Tobe wrote:The ref could have avoided all this confusion if he just took the proper step of calling time and formally warning Khan about the pushing. It's one thing to tell the fighter, but you've gotta show the judges, the corner and the crowd what your doing too if you want to avoid the contraversy after the fact.

He took a point away and Khan still did it. In the vid he clearly says "final warning". No need to stop and call time.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:52 pm

SlickMoney wrote:

He took a point away and Khan still did it. In the vid he clearly says "final warning". No need to stop and call time.

Yep. What good would a formal warning have done? If Khan kept pushing after a point was deducted, he clearly wouldn't have stopped from just a warning.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:57 pm

SlickMoney wrote:

Watching the fight that wasn't clear, besides no one further than 10-20 feet away would hear that "final warning" anyway. I agree that's all the ref technically needs to do, but I'm saying he could have called time and taken the opportunity to communicate that warning to everyone in the building and help mitigate the reaction after the fact.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Tobe wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:

Watching the fight that wasn't clear, besides no one further than 10-20 feet away would hear that "final warning" anyway. I agree that's all the ref technically needs to do, but I'm saying he could have called time and taken the opportunity to communicate that warning to everyone in the building and help mitigate the reaction after the fact.

I agree. The only thing the ref didn't do was formally warn Khan. Either way, Khan was breaking the rules and got penalized for it. This fight would have played out very differently if Khan actually had to fight on the inside instead of use an illegal tactic to escape.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:15 pm

forget the deductions:

Khan does have a bad habit of pushing a guy to create space. That is on him. But his team has done him a disservice if they haven't taught him how to tie up properly, how to fight on the inside, etc..... And if they have taught him, then he's a horrible student. He needed to tie up Peterson, fight on the inside, etc.... You had a ref that wasn't breaking them quickly and there are refs that don't. You have to be prepared for that.

His team would be well served in preparation for the second fight to have some days in sparring where all he does is infight, tie up, etc....
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:24 pm

captainanddew wrote:forget the deductions:

Khan does have a bad habit of pushing a guy to create space. That is on him. But his team has done him a disservice if they haven't taught him how to tie up properly, how to fight on the inside, etc..... And if they have taught him, then he's a horrible student. He needed to tie up Peterson, fight on the inside, etc.... You had a ref that wasn't breaking them quickly and there are refs that don't. You have to be prepared for that.

His team would be well served in preparation for the second fight to have some days in sparring where all he does is infight, tie up, etc....

i think his team need to have him spar natural junior middles and middles to help build his strength up. you can't let a guy march you to the ropes and have you skipping away all night and expect to get a decision. getting backed up doesn't impress judges. khan needs to learn how to hold his own ground in close without using his arms to push his opponent away. he needs the strength in his legs to hold his own ground. khans tactics throughout the contest were piss poor

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:11 pm

dbudge wrote:khan perhaps was the master of his own demise, but it is also illegal to lean your head on your opponents chest and come in low offering the back of your head. if a guy is resting his head into your face, what are you supposed to do?? let them continue to do so. i thought the referee was extremely biased. that said, Khan fucked himself. he could have used a stick and move gameplan to win this fight easy. when he held his feet and threw combinations in the centre of the ring Peterson had no response, instead Khan let Peterson bore forward and laid on the ropes alowing peterson to outwork him. Naive tactics from Khan, but the point deductions were what decided the outcome of the fight. i've seen fighters guilty of much worse demeanors in prizefights and not even get warned. when Cooper gave the fighters their final instructions he yelled like an over excited fanboy. i think he was far too inexperienced a ref for this level of contest
not at all true. other than you disagreeing with the 2 point deductions which were legit, what else did he do wrong? he let them fight and only broke them up when needed. he was a great ref. i wish more were like him.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Let me start by saying that even with the deductions I had the fight for Khan (unless we're also taking away the questionable knockdown in which case I had it a draw).

dbudge wrote:khan perhaps was the master of his own demise, but it is also illegal to lean your head on your opponents chest and come in low offering the back of your head. if a guy is resting his head into your face, what are you supposed to do?? let them continue to do so. i thought the referee was extremely biased. that said, Khan fucked himself.
The ref warned Peterson about keeping his head low every time he warned Khan for the elbow. So that was a push.

dbudge wrote:i've seen fighters guilty of much worse demeanors in prizefights and not even get warned. when Cooper gave the fighters their final instructions he yelled like an over excited fanboy. i think he was far too inexperienced a ref for this level of contest
I personally think he's the type of ref we need at every level. If experience means bending the rules for star fighters or in high profile fights then I'm against it. That's part of why officiating has become such a joke in the NBA. No consistency or accordance with the rules. Cooper wasn't perfect, but in my opinion he did his best to go by the book. If this happened at every level of boxing, guys wouldn't be pushing and clinching by the time they made it big.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Gumby wrote:Let me start by saying that even with the deductions I had the fight for Khan (unless we're also taking away the questionable knockdown in which case I had it a draw).

dbudge wrote:khan perhaps was the master of his own demise, but it is also illegal to lean your head on your opponents chest and come in low offering the back of your head. if a guy is resting his head into your face, what are you supposed to do?? let them continue to do so. i thought the referee was extremely biased. that said, Khan fucked himself.
The ref warned Peterson about keeping his head low every time he warned Khan for the elbow. So that was a push.

dbudge wrote:i've seen fighters guilty of much worse demeanors in prizefights and not even get warned. when Cooper gave the fighters their final instructions he yelled like an over excited fanboy. i think he was far too inexperienced a ref for this level of contest
I personally think he's the type of ref we need at every level. If experience means bending the rules for star fighters or in high profile fights then I'm against it. That's part of why officiating has become such a joke in the NBA. No consistency or accordance with the rules. Cooper wasn't perfect, but in my opinion he did his best to go by the book. If this happened at every level of boxing, guys wouldn't be pushing and clinching by the time they made it big.

A very good point. It's hilarious when the NBA calls a lane violation. It almost seems unfair to the team they are calling the lane violation on.

I was very pleased with Casamayor getting penalized for holding in the Bradley fight. However, he wasn't the high profile fighter that night. Refs can't play favorites.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:54 am

blame can be sheeted to all 3 particpants involved.thereiin lies the real problem,more & more these days boxing is too subjective,more about personal perceptions than a is better than b.remember the days when the discussion was,could a come back/avenge his defeat.nowadays it's intangibles we talk about,not realities scratch

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:31 am

powerpuncher wrote:
dbudge wrote:khan perhaps was the master of his own demise, but it is also illegal to lean your head on your opponents chest and come in low offering the back of your head. if a guy is resting his head into your face, what are you supposed to do?? let them continue to do so. i thought the referee was extremely biased. that said, Khan fucked himself. he could have used a stick and move gameplan to win this fight easy. when he held his feet and threw combinations in the centre of the ring Peterson had no response, instead Khan let Peterson bore forward and laid on the ropes alowing peterson to outwork him. Naive tactics from Khan, but the point deductions were what decided the outcome of the fight. i've seen fighters guilty of much worse demeanors in prizefights and not even get warned. when Cooper gave the fighters their final instructions he yelled like an over excited fanboy. i think he was far too inexperienced a ref for this level of contest
not at all true. other than you disagreeing with the 2 point deductions which were legit, what else did he do wrong? he let them fight and only broke them up when needed. he was a great ref. i wish more were like him.

so it would also have been legit if he docked points from peterson for leading with his head. pushing the inside of his glove into khan's face etc etc. there is always fouling in boxing. if he was going to be a "to the letter of the law" official then he should have directed some of his officiating at both boxers and not just khan. he seldom warned peterson about coming in with his head low. he was slow to break the fighters up when they were clearly tangled up and not going to fight out of it. he screamed "bring the thunder" at his final instructions. everyone is entitled to an opinion, i'm of the opinion that Joe Cooper is a shit referee.

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:04 am

dbudge i agree that cooper did a awfull job in reffing..so does a overwelming majority of sports writers commentaters and boxing writers.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:32 am

dbudge wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:

so it would also have been legit if he docked points from peterson for leading with his head. pushing the inside of his glove into khan's face etc etc. there is always fouling in boxing. if he was going to be a "to the letter of the law" official then he should have directed some of his officiating at both boxers and not just khan. he seldom warned peterson about coming in with his head low. he was slow to break the fighters up when they were clearly tangled up and not going to fight out of it. he screamed "bring the thunder" at his final instructions. everyone is entitled to an opinion, i'm of the opinion that Joe Cooper is a shit referee.
the leading with the head by peterson wasnt really excessive. khan just whined about it for something to whine about. the pushing was the most pushing ive ever seen in a fight. and its not like peterson was headbutting on his way in like bradley or something.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 pm

dmar5143 wrote:dbudge i agree that cooper did a awfull job in reffing..so does a overwelming majority of sports writers commentaters and boxing writers.

At the end of the day, Khan deserved to be penalized at least one point.

Khan was given a free point for the "knockdown." At the end, Peterson was given a 1 point bonus.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Shaun wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:dbudge i agree that cooper did a awfull job in reffing..so does a overwelming majority of sports writers commentaters and boxing writers.

At the end of the day, Khan deserved to be penalized at least one point.

Khan was given a free point for the "knockdown." At the end, Peterson was given a 1 point bonus.

Make up refereeing and judging like Gumby and Diego have previously stated doesn't make it right. So Cooper, who was by all accounts abysmal the night of the fight, is vindicated because he he made up for a bad call with two more bad calls? Sorry that doesn't jibe with me and like Dmar stated it doesn't jibe with the majority of boxing writers and commentators that witnessed the show.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next