The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GB's output deal with HBO over

3 posters

Go down

GB's output deal with HBO over Empty GB's output deal with HBO over

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Mock celebrations surfaced in various forms – articles, social networks and general water cooler talk - amidst the reports of last Saturday’s split-site doubleheader on HBO serving as the last of an output deal between the network and Golden Boy Promotions.

While Saturday suggested the end of one specific deal, Golden Boy sees it as the continuation of a promising future.

“It’s a funny thing. I read the comments somewhere that if Broner and (unbeaten featherweight prospect) Gary Russell were with (other promoters), would they have that same opportunity? I take that as a compliment,” states Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. “If you are a young fighter and we have the opportunity to build you, why would you want to be with anyone else?”

“I was proud on the performance of all of the guys in their early 20’s – Adrien Broner, Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and Gary Russell,” Schaefer stated. “There is a new generation of fighters. We have three guys who can fight and have charisma. They are entertainers. They are ticket sellers. I was thrilled with the reception in Cincinnati, and of course with Adrien Broner winning the title.”

It is the only fight currently listed on Showtime’s early 2012 schedule, largely due to the change in leadership atop the network. Ken Hershman stepped down from his role as general manager to command the ship at HBO, filling the role left behind by Ross Greenburg who stepped down earlier this year. Hershman’s new position at HBO officially goes into effect on January 9, 2012.

Taking Hershman’s place at Showtime will be Stephen Espinoza, who recently began his tour.

Golden Boy has established relationships with both networks and looks forward to continuing to do business with anyone willing to get involved with what is has to offer to the sport. The end of an output deal with HBO does not translate to Golden Boy being out of the HBO business altogether.

“I have a great with HBO and the incoming president, Ken Hershman. I have a relationship with Stephen Espinoza. I will be working with everybody,” Schaefer explains. “We have a deep stable of emerging fighters and enough quality product and content to provide to either network.

“It’s the last fight of the deal, but doesn’t mean we can’t get back on any time we have something to offer that’s beneficial to the future of the sport. Given the strength of our stable I could execute a deal to fight tomorrow.”

The only thing that Schaefer won’t be signing is a re-up deal with any network. The quality of the already existing product, he believes, should be enough to get his fighters where they need to be. Hopefully that will put to rest the fears exhibited by many throughout the industry.

“Since everyone is so worried about Golden Boy, we won’t do another output deal. Maybe then, people will be less worried about what we do.”

http://tinyurl.com/c3lmpaj
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

GB's output deal with HBO over Empty Re: GB's output deal with HBO over

Post  captainanddew Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:22 pm

cheers

Its over. Its finally over. Now hopefully HBO doesn't accept Golden Boy guys in continued mismatches (which many fights during the output deal were).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:06 pm

captainanddew wrote: cheers

Its over. Its finally over. Now hopefully HBO doesn't accept Golden Boy guys in continued mismatches (which many fights during the output deal were).

+1
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down