The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arum on a possible Martinez/Pac fight

+3
flapanther2001
GrantZilla
captainanddew
7 posters

Go down

Arum on a possible Martinez/Pac fight Empty Arum on a possible Martinez/Pac fight

Post  captainanddew Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:14 pm

from boxingscene:

A dream fight between Manny Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38KOs) and Sergio Martinez (48-2-2, 27KOs) is possible - if Martinez agrees to a same-day weigh-in, according to Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, who promotes the Filipino superstar. Martinez, the WBC's Diamond champion at middleweight, is willing to drop down to a catch-weight of 150-pounds to face Pacquiao, the WBO's champion at 147-pounds.

Arum's concern with Martinez making 150, with 24 hours to rehydrate, is the possibility of the Argentine boxer coming to the ring at 175-pounds on the night of the fight. To prevent that, Arum would like to have both boxers make weight on a Saturday afternoon, a few hours before the fight.

"Here is the problem with Martinez. Let me tell you the problem with Martinez. Martinez says 'I'll fight him at 150,' but that's bullsh**. That means he'll dehydrate until the afternoon of the weigh-in and come to the ring at 175, which he's done before. What I say is, if you really want to fight Manny Pacquiao - I have a simple way to do it. You said 150, you will fight at 150, then let's go to a commission, and not necessarily this [Las Vegas] commission....maybe New York, maybe Texas, wherever. And say 'both fighters want to do the fight and they want to go back to the old days and we'll weigh in on the day of the fight, at 150. If he wants to do that, we can start talking," Arum said.

After last year's fight with Antonio Margarito, at 150, Arum says Pacquiao and his team made a decision to avoid taking fights above the welterweight limit. Pacquiao, who tried to bulk up for Margarito, started dropping weight a few days before the fight because the added bulk was making him sluggish in the gym. Pacquiao weighed in at 144-pounds. During the fight, Margarito's size became a factor when he trapped Pacquiao against the ropes and hurt him badly to the body.

"He was hurting for a month after that fight. We realized that he can't continue to fight all of these bigger guys," Arum said.

My take: Pac can give up a big chunk of weight to guys, but they have to be choosy. Nothing wrong with that. That is the truth. If Pac is going to fight guys who walk into the ring weighing in the mid 160s (like Margacheato), then it has to be someone slow enough that Pac can pick apart (and also an ARUM fighter so Bob would profit if Pac got upset).

But ARUM IS A BITCH. He starts spouting bullshit. Martinez doesn't walk into the ring any fight weighing 175. What the fuck is he talking about. Martinez fought Barker at 160 and on the night of the fight he weighed 165.

Just say Pac is done fighting anyone above 147 and be done with it. But don't lie about other fighters and make up shit. I'm sick of that shit.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Arum on a possible Martinez/Pac fight Empty Re: Arum on a possible Martinez/Pac fight

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm

This is just like giving Maidana a joke offer to fight Bradley. He's just throwing out names to get attention, but has no intention of his fighters fighting them.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Arum on a possible Martinez/Pac fight Empty Re: Arum on a possible Martinez/Pac fight

Post  captainanddew Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:45 pm

GrantZilla wrote:This is just like giving Maidana a joke offer to fight Bradley. He's just throwing out names to get attention, but has no intention of his fighters fighting them.

It is. But the bullshit he puts out with it drives me nuts. Don't throw out bullshit about Martinez weighing 175, considering the guy never weighs close to that. It is as if he thinks everyone other than him is fucking stupid. Arum insults our intelligence on a continual basis and I'm tired of his act. He needs to go so his son-in-law can run the company.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Arum is only making Manny look bad and gives credence to the Pac haters who claim Manny uses stipulations to win fights with the advantage.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:06 pm

a 150 pound weight limit with same day weigh ins? wasnt this the same group of people telling mayweather that the kind of drug testing that he wanted wasnt required for boxers so they werent going to do it? now they want to start making up their own rules? a bunch of hypocrites giving every single advantage to their fighter.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:13 pm

powerpuncher wrote:a 150 pound weight limit with same day weigh ins? wasnt this the same group of people telling mayweather that the kind of drug testing that he wanted wasnt required for boxers so they werent going to do it? now they want to start making up their own rules? a bunch of hypocrites giving every single advantage to their fighter.

What bothers me about it is the lies. They said Martinez would rehydrate to 175 pounds as he has done- BOLD FACED LIE. Arum acts like HBO doesn't do the weights in the ring for Martinez's fights. Does he not realize that fans heard Martinez weighed 165 or 166 in the ring and was eating normally to make 160 (which means he really is a natural junior middle).

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:15 pm

and it is hypocritical to ask for weigh ins that aren't used anymore.

I never hear Arum say that Rios should be subject to same day weigh ins. He is a huge guy for 135. He wouldn't be able to make weight and fight the same day with the way he dehydrates himself to make weight.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Arum is only making Manny look bad and gives credence to the Pac haters who claim Manny uses stipulations to win fights with the advantage.
But guys that's the point. Arum is a promoter and by saying all these things he is promoting his fighter and keeping his name out there. Arum knows exactly what he is doing.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:36 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:Arum is only making Manny look bad and gives credence to the Pac haters who claim Manny uses stipulations to win fights with the advantage.
But guys that's the point. Arum is a promoter and by saying all these things he is promoting his fighter and keeping his name out there. Arum knows exactly what he is doing.

he is full of shit. It is fine to keep a guy's name out there for a normal fighter. This is pac. The only people concerned with this kind of news is fight freaks like us. Not avg sports fans or sometimes boxing fans. So he is saying things that are false and full of bullshit that are going to be read by a high% of people who will know he is absolutely full of shit..... Makes no sense.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:02 am

wow arum is totaly full of it.ill agree with captain.first the article said weigh inn a few hours before the fight not at noon which was tradition.second martinez at 150 is a huge disadvantage a few hours before the fight or same day.hey let manny fight gamboa at 130 with thoses weight inn rules bob.
arum goes from being sensible at times to a complete arragant asshole..note the fact that he said we will no longer pick our spots fighting guys over 147.harry greb mickey walker robinson basilio armstrong and others who fought bigger guys did not pick there spots.
rios as noted is a perfect example of a real 147 pounder fighting as a pretend lighweight.arums stable for the most part as well as other promoters all have a bunch of pretend fighters.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:09 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
But what he's doing is self-serving and doesn't help the sport (in my opinion). I think Arum has a lot of great fighters and doesn't always put them in great fights because it puts him at risk. And he constantly handicaps Manny's fights which diminishes them some.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 am

Gumby wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
But what he's doing is self-serving and doesn't help the sport (in my opinion). I think Arum has a lot of great fighters and doesn't always put them in great fights because it puts him at risk. And he constantly handicaps Manny's fights which diminishes them some.

This is where being a good promoter and making smart business moves clashes with what's good for the sport and what fight fans want.

He's doing exactly what a promoter should do. In the end, Martinez is the one calling Pac out. Arum is addressing it. Pac is never going to fight Martinez. And maybe this wisen Martinez up so that he'll shut up about wanting to fight Pac and fight guys that are willing to fight him, like Piroq.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:50 pm

All I saw was poop flying from Arum's mouth.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum