The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coach: I don't think Anderson Silva would like to fight Jon Jones

4 posters

Go down

Coach: I don't think Anderson Silva would like to fight Jon Jones Empty Coach: I don't think Anderson Silva would like to fight Jon Jones

Post  freakzilla Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:33 pm

http://www.mmashareforums.com/serious-mma-discussion-f1/-anderson-silva-would-not-like-to-fight-jon-jones--t46301.html

Mike Winklejohn, Jon Jones' striking coach, discussed the learning curve of his product, as well as the potential superfight with the eternal UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson "The Spider" Silva. According to Winklejohn, Jon Jones is not there just yet when it comes to KO power, but he's still much better than "The Spider" when it comes to "everything wrestling". Winklejohn also added, that stylistically Jon Jones is a bad match-up for Silva, who's well known for using his reach advantage to win fights.

Here's some bits of what Winklejohn said on Mauro Ranallo's "The MMA Show" (via FightOpinion):

MW: “You know what, I think with Anderson, Anderson is probably the best as far as the eyes going, watching an opponent and then knowing he can strike a certain time and put them on their ass. That’s what Anderson does and I think Jon’s getting there with his strikes. I think Jon’s much better, way past Anderson as far as wrestling skills go. With his stand-up I think Jon brings many more strikes to the table than Anderson has, a lot more variety. We’re just not there on a knockout type of shot, we’re going to get there pretty soon. We hurt Rampage many times during that fight with strikes, but we’re going to get there. We’re going to get those things fine-tuned. It’s just going to take just a little bit longer and we’ve only just begun. The future is definitely bright for Jon.”

MR: “What do you think about his learning curve right now? Where do you think he is?”
MW: “Oh, I think he’s there. You know what, down the road there’s no doubt he’s going to get some weight on and go to Heavyweight but he’s got a lot to do at Light Heavyweight. I don’t think Anderson would probably want that fight with Jon Jones. I think, you know, Anderson would use his length and pick his shot against people. With Jon coming in at so many different angles from a long range, I definitely don’t think that’s a good fight for Anderson. I think we’re here to stay in the Light Heavyweight division for a while and build a legend, something that hasn’t been done in a little bit of a while. The Light Heavyweight division has had a lot of turnover.”

UFC President Dana White recently suggested that Jon Jones will move up to Heavyweight, where he could test his skills against fighters such as Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos, Alistair Overeem and Frank Mir. Following the victory over Rampage Jackson, Jones improved his MMA record to 14-1, with 8 KO/TKO and 4 Submission finishes. Jones' only loss is via a controversial DQ against Matt Hamill.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Coach: I don't think Anderson Silva would like to fight Jon Jones Empty Re: Coach: I don't think Anderson Silva would like to fight Jon Jones

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:11 pm

I want to see it but I can clearly understand why Silva, especially at his age, wouldn't want to take on a young, athletic freak who will grow out of the light heavy division .

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Coach: I don't think Anderson Silva would like to fight Jon Jones Empty Re: Coach: I don't think Anderson Silva would like to fight Jon Jones

Post  freakzilla Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 pm

The problem I have is he's trying to fight GSP though. Looks weak trying to fight the smaller guy when you can fight someone that walks around at the same weight as you.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:32 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:I want to see it but I can clearly understand why Silva, especially at his age, wouldn't want to take on a young, athletic freak who will grow out of the light heavy division .
he needs to step up and fight the best possible fight. That is Jones. Pac and Mayweather have done it in boxing and its time for someone in MMA to start to do the same.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EnragedSlayer Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:20 pm

I would love to see Silva vs Jones but I just don't see it happening. Silva has only fought at light heavy twice and both were against poor competition. I still think after watching the Silva vs Griffin fight that Griffin took a dive.
EnragedSlayer
EnragedSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Forrest Griffin was not a poor opponent, he was a top ten ranked LHW at the time and also a former champion.

And since when has Silva been trying to fight GSP ? it's the fans who want it.

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:51 am

He said it in an interview.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down