The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matt Hughes says Koscheck fight might be his last!

Go down

Matt Hughes says Koscheck fight might be his last! Empty Matt Hughes says Koscheck fight might be his last!

Post  freakzilla Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:29 am

http://www.mmashareforums.com/serious-mma-discussion-f1/matt-hughes-last-fight-on-contract-might-retire-t45961.html

Matt Hughes says Koscheck fight might be his last! Bj-matt

Josh Koscheck (15-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) is the final obligation on the current contract of Matt Hughes (45-8 MMA, 18-6 UFC).

Consequently, the former UFC welterweight champ is playing his future by ear after he fights the onetime title challenger Saturday at UFC 135.

"The outcome of this fight won't really matter, to be honest," he said today. "After this fight, win or lose, doesn't matter, I'll talk to the UFC and we'll figure out what we want to do."

UFC 135 takes place Saturday at Denver's Pepsi Center. The event's main card airs on pay-per-view. Two preliminary bouts to air on Spike TV make up a lead-in to the main card, and the remainder of the preliminary card streams live on Facebook.

While co-headliner Hughes said he continues to get enjoyment out of his career as a fighter, there are some close to him that don't feel the same way.

"My wife tells me I'm done fighting," he admitted.

That declaration actually came 10 months prior when Hughes was knocked out by B.J. Penn in a brisk 21 seconds at UFC 121. The two had split a pair of earlier bouts.

Hughes isn't saying he's boarded that plane yet.

"We'll see what I feel like, and we'll see what the UFC wants to do," he said.

The loss to Penn snapped a three-fight win-streak for Hughes, who once reigned over the welterweight division with an iron fist. Victories over Matt Serra, Renzo Gracie and Ricardo Almeida boosted his stock. But dual losses to current champ Georges St-Pierre made a title shot a faraway prospect, and at 37, Hughes is no spring chicken.

But he's clearly not ready to give up his lifestyle, and that may keep him in the game.

"It's competition," Hughes said. "I think that's what drives your top athletes in the UFC is the fact that you love getting in there against one other person and mixing it up. I don't have to rely on four other basketball teammates to score a basket. I've just got to rely on myself. The fact that it's just me and another person competing in there, that's my big drive.

"I consider myself a lucky man. I love going to the gym every day, twice a day. I love traveling with my buddies. All in all, it's a great lifestyle."
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down