The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mares low blows

3 posters

Go down

mares low blows Empty mares low blows

Post  Rum Capital Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:16 am

someone posted this on espn and i found it interesting

Stephen "Breadman" Edwards of Boxingtalk.com makes a great point (in his mailbag) about Abner Mares taking some of the blame for throwing low blows to Agbeko. It is an interesting read.

Emailer: Bread, I heard you attack referee Russell Mora for overlooking what Abner Mares was doing [throwing repeated low blows against Joseph Agbeko], but I didn't hear you say much about Abner Mares and whether he should be blamed for the low blows. Is this kid another Andrew Golota? He has to take some of the responsibility.

Bread's Response: You know at first, I wasn't going to blame Mares too much. I firmly believe that the referee has to enforce the rules and if the referee would have started deducting points, then Mares would have stopped, out of fear of disqualification. But a mentor of mine gave me call and pointed me in the right direction to do some research on Mares. In my research I found this link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_FT_kc0wyY. It's Abner Mares on FSN Sports Science "Cheap Shots" Episode 4. You guys have to take a look at this. Abner was a guest on the show a few years back when he was 14-0. During the segment, the host tells Abner to punch the test dummy in the groin. After Abner does it, the host goes on to explain why blows to the area are so debilitating. They explain how the low blows effect the abdomen and lungs because of how the brain waves are sent out. It's very interesting to say the least. I still give Russell Mora the majority of the blame, but based on this video, I assume Mares knows how bad a low blow can affect an opponent. Some suggest that Abner is an innocent party. I would assume he is NOT completely innocent.

I also want to point something else out. Agbeko's corner did him a disservice. They should have been ALL over the referee much earlier. I also think Agbeko did himself a disservice. There is no way he should have allowed a man to tee off on his groin like that and not do the same in return. Most fighters who break the rules whether knowingly or unknowingly, don't enjoy when the same rules are broken against them. Some of the best fighters you will ever see are rule stretchers. Joe Frazier used to beat on the hip bone to slow his opponents down. Bernard Hopkins does the same thing, and on top of that, Hopkins digs his chin in your shoulder blade on clinches. Roberto Duran and Eusebio Pedroza did everything they could get away with. [Editor's note: what about Evander Holyfield's use of his head?] If the ref is not going to stop them, then freaking do it back to them and see how they like it. Agbeko is a man's man, but he should have went low right back at Mares.

Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

mares low blows Empty Re: mares low blows

Post  GrantZilla Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Go to the 2:25 mark
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:53 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

Go to the 2:25 mark
LMAO I saw this a couple of years ago, kinda ironic.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down