The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro's allowed to compete in 2016 Olympics ?

5 posters

Go down

Pro's allowed to compete in 2016 Olympics ? Empty Pro's allowed to compete in 2016 Olympics ?

Post  Guest Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Professional boxers could compete at the 2016 Olympics in Rio after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) refused to rule out the possibility.

The International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) is introducing a pro tournament in 2013 and claims fighters who appear will be eligible for Rio.

And an IOC spokesman told BBC Sport: "We are currently discussing the project with them [AIBA].

"The IOC encourages the participation of the best athletes at the Olympics."

Last year, AIBA introduced its World Series of Boxing (WSB), a hybrid of the two boxing codes which allows salaried 'amateurs' to retain their Olympic eligibility, even though the tournament features no head guards or vests and professional-style scoring with three judges.

WSB was seen as a bridge between Olympic and full-blown professional boxing and AIBA president Wu Ching-Kuo regards AIBA Professional Boxing (APB) as the logical next step.
Continue reading the main story

"I feel this move towards professionalism is very important for AIBA," said Wu last week.

"Boxers have always felt that they have instantly had to turn professional after competing at the Olympics. We want to change that culture, show there is another way and this is now [the] time for the sport to move forward.

"I hope we can attract the very best professionals out there. I don't know definitely if they will compete in AIBA Professional Boxing but I am hopeful they will because the Olympics is something very special and there is no greater prize in sport than the Olympic gold medal."

A spokesperson for the Amateur Boxing Association of England (ABAE) said: "The announcement by AIBA represents another step in attempting to provide a duty of care and support to boxers throughout the whole of their careers.

"The welfare of boxers is our number one priority and we would expect everyone connected with the sport to support this principle.

"Like all major changes it creates a number of significant challenges for us as an organisation and we are forming a commission to examine the proposals in more detail in our role as the governing body for amateur boxing in England. We will provide a further update after the commission has arrived at its initial conclusions."

However, another source within amateur boxing told BBC Sport the AIBA's plans have caused "shock and dismay" among the ranks.

"What does this [the possibility of professional boxers competing in the Olympics] mean for amateur boxing?" said the source.

"There are a whole series of knock-on issues. At the moment the rules of the amateur boxing associations of England, Scotland and Wales prohibit any professional linkages whatsoever, so even the articles of the associations will need to be examined for this to become possible in England.

"And if I was a professional governing body, I would be saying 'hang on a minute, what right do they have to do this?' Why is your [the APB's] professional standard different to ours?'"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14446438.stm

Back to top Go down

Pro's allowed to compete in 2016 Olympics ? Empty Re: Pro's allowed to compete in 2016 Olympics ?

Post  GrantZilla Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm

I think it's a very bad idea
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Pro's allowed to compete in 2016 Olympics ? Empty Re: Pro's allowed to compete in 2016 Olympics ?

Post  Tobe Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Olympic boxing is utter B.S. and has been for years. If getting pros involved leads them to reconsider the terrible scoring and officials then I'm for it. I would hope long term that it goes back to pure amateur competition with a system that prepares fighters for the pro game, but it's a long way from there now and this might be a step in the right direction.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm with you as far as Olympic Boxing being a disgrace. I'm at the point where if they don't fix it, they might as well get rid of it.

I'm all for fixing Olympic boxing. But allowing Pros is a horrible idea. It will discourage young kids from getting into AMs. Because every AM fighter, or most, goal is to make it to the Olympics. And with pros involved, they will have little chance.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Isn't the whole idea of the Olympics that it's a stage for these kids to show off their talents? Why would a pro go backwards & compete for no money? There would be nothing in it for them and to lose, would damage them as a pro.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:54 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Isn't the whole idea of the Olympics that it's a stage for these kids to show off their talents? Why would a pro go backwards & compete for no money? There would be nothing in it for them and to lose, would damage them as a pro.

A Gold Olympic Medal.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Ali wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:Isn't the whole idea of the Olympics that it's a stage for these kids to show off their talents? Why would a pro go backwards & compete for no money? There would be nothing in it for them and to lose, would damage them as a pro.

A Gold Olympic Medal.
That's like putting the cart before the horse. The Gold medal is what springboards the fighter into his pro career, not the other way around.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:20 pm

terrible idea. the olympic gold medalist is supposed to be the best amateur fighter in the world. if you add pros into the mix, the top fighters wont even enter to begin with. so basically we will end up with gatekeepers winning gold medals over deserving amateurs, simply because of age, size, and experience. 100% against this.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:51 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:terrible idea. the olympic gold medalist is supposed to be the best amateur fighter in the world. if you add pros into the mix, the top fighters wont even enter to begin with. so basically we will end up with gatekeepers winning gold medals over deserving amateurs, simply because of age, size, and experience. 100% against this.
Agreed. Horrible idea, no matter what Fidel Castro says. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down