The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row

3 posters

Go down

Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row Empty Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row

Post  freakzilla Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:21 pm

http://mmaweekly.com/fedor-emelianenko-released-by-strikeforce-following-third-loss-in-a-row

Fedor Emelianenko‘s time under the Zuffa umbrella has come to an end.

The former Pride champion and Russian legend has been released from Strikeforce following his third loss in a row, the latest coming by way of TKO to Dan Henderson this last weekend in Chicago.

UFC president Dana White on Thursday confirmed his release to MMAWeekly.com.

Emelianenko’s legendary undefeated run first came to a halt when he faced Fabricio Werdum last year, and after clipping the Brazilian early in the fight, he was submitted by triangle choke.

Bouncing back earlier this year, Emelianenko entered the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix where he met Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and was simply overmatched by power and size. The fight was stopped after the seond round as Emelianenko suffered huge swelling in and around his eye.

The final nail in the coffin came at Strikeforce this weekend when he lost to current light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson in a special heavyweight attraction. Fedor dropped Henderson with a good punch, but in the scramble to finish the fight, he found himself on the bad end of a Henderson uppercut.

Emelianenko went limp, falling flat to the mat and referee Herb Dean rushed in to stop the fight.

The loss resulted in three in a row for Emelianenko, who stated following the fight that he was undecided what the future held for him.

The future doesn’t hold Strikeforce for Emelianenko after being released.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row Empty Re: Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row

Post  gomez1012 Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:36 pm

What's the point cutting all of these fighters? Is the UFC gaining anything by doing it?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row Empty Re: Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row

Post  freakzilla Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Saving salary I guess. Fedor was on a huge contract.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:40 pm

freakzilla wrote:Saving salary I guess. Fedor was on a huge contract.

Doesnt he only get paid when he fights?

Even after 3 L's to top guys, Fedor can easily be rebuilt, get him a few wins vs marginal opponents and he's right back in line for a big fight
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Fedor's got extremely difficult management behind him. Plus he seems done mentally and physically.

Overeem's release was all politics.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Ali wrote:Fedor's got extremely difficult management behind him. Plus he seems done mentally and physically.

Strange way to go about it, would think they want those guys on board.
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:48 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:Fedor's got extremely difficult management behind him. Plus he seems done mentally and physically.

Strange way to go about it, would think they want those guys on board.

Dana's got very strong views about Fedor, you should google their history.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:00 pm

I know a bunch of caca between them

Just figure he'd still want him in the mix, Fedor vs Brock still a big fight regardless of both guys issues recently
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:17 pm

StrikeForce is a dead. Soon as Showtime contract ends, it'll be liquidated into UFC. They might well just get on with it now.

I don't know what Showtime is getting out of this now that Fedor is gone. I can't imagine ratings are anything big at this point.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I'd rather Showtime just cancel the contract and focus completely on boxing.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Ali wrote:I'd rather Showtime just cancel the contract and focus completely on boxing.

+1

Save that $ for more tournaments

M1 or whatever looks like a wasted effort when UFC is running everything
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:46 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:I'd rather Showtime just cancel the contract and focus completely on boxing.

+1

Save that $ for more tournaments

M1 or whatever looks like a wasted effort when UFC is running everything

My only fear is Showtime might want to pursue Bellator. It's a rising organization that's the only real rival to the UFC left.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Ali wrote:
My only fear is Showtime might want to pursue Bellator. It's a rising organization that's the only real rival to the UFC left.

Could happen, I dont see why they would do it after what happened with Strikeforce.

I would think Bellator would end in similar fashion

White doesnt take them serious, SHO Builds it up, UFC gets concerned, Zuffa buys them out and starts slashing fighters and picking up the ones they want
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down