The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE GREATNESS OF WES RAMEY

2 posters

Go down

THE GREATNESS OF WES RAMEY Empty THE GREATNESS OF WES RAMEY

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:21 am

Let me ask a general question. What words would you use to describe a fighter who won over 150 fights, defeated ranked fighters on over 20 occasions, defeated seven undisputed champions going 10-2 against them and defeated HOFers on three occasions.

Oh yeah he recorded all of eleven (ELEVEN) KO's. Think he could box a little? I'd guess so given that he boxed over 1600 rounds in his career (more than FOUR TIMES as many as BHOP).

He fought in the USA, Spain, Germany, Africa, Australia, Russia, Mexico and Finland.

Wes Ramey was an ordinary sized lightweight at 5'4. He was BLAZING fast and had one of the great left hands anyone has seen. His footwork was near perfect as was his ring generalship. His lack of a punch meant that he couldn't come from behind though. He had to begin with his foot on the gas and go full out the entire fight. He also had a good chin being KO'd only four times in over 200 fights. Ramey was a guy from the Pep, Sweet Pea, Loughran, Calderon school of boxing.

How good was the era he was in, how good was the division he was in and how feared was he? He got one title shot. ONE! And that was after he'd had 175 fights and was 30 years old and was in a junior division. He lost a clear decision.

Why did this happen? Well, Wesley Ramey was a 1930's lightweight. Look at who else was prowling around that division at the time. Guys like Barney Ross and Henry Armstrong and Tony Canzoneri and Lou Ambers and Jimmy McLarnin. So the competition was as good as it could get. Ramsey was good enough to be ranked for eight years in the 1930's and two beat over 20 other ranked guys and champions on ten occasions. Yet only ONE of the guys I mentioned dared to fight him. Reigning lightweight king Tony Canzoneri fought Ramey in an over the weight ten round bout in 1933. Ramsey ate him up winning seven rounds on each card. Did it earn him a title crack? Nope. But think about that for a second. Ramey cruised to a win against a prime Tony Canzoneri.

The guy was ranked for eight years across the primes of Ross, McLarnin, Ambers and Armstrong and not one of them would fight him. Incredible! That is a Charley Burley level of being avoided.

What word would you guys use to describe a career like that?

Is he in the HOF? NOPE! Does he belong? I dunno. But it's guys like this who oughtta make us very careful when treating modern fighters as if they oughtta be locks.

Back to top Go down

THE GREATNESS OF WES RAMEY Empty Re: THE GREATNESS OF WES RAMEY

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:28 am

Awesome post. I honestly have never heard of him. Now I am curious to know more.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:51 am

Soonermark890 wrote:Awesome post. I honestly have never heard of him. Now I am curious to know more.

I know almost nothing about him. I stumbled across a Tracey Callis bio on him and did some digging and ended up pretty amazed. It was a name I didn't recall at all having read anywhere else.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:58 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:Awesome post. I honestly have never heard of him. Now I am curious to know more.

I know almost nothing about him. I stumbled across a Tracey Callis bio on him and did some digging and ended up pretty amazed. It was a name I didn't recall at all having read anywhere else.
You want to add this to that boxing news page?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:59 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Entirely up to you. I still think splitting things is not the best way to go, but whatever you want. I'm good either way.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:07 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Entirely up to you. I still think splitting things is not the best way to go, but whatever you want. I'm good either way.
Oh that forum no one can post in. Only me. I just am going to use it to put up news and great articles like this one. I will just copy and paste it in there. This thread will still be here. I am just making sure you dont care. Also you guys let me know if you dont like certain things and I will change it.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:11 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Oh that forum no one can post in. Only me. I just am going to use it to put up news and great articles like this one. I will just copy and paste it in there. This thread will still be here. I am just making sure you dont care. Also you guys let me know if you dont like certain things and I will change it.

If you want I'll track down a bunch of the "greatness of posts" and you can put them over there

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:15 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

If you want I'll track down a bunch of the "greatness of posts" and you can put them over there
Heck yeah that would be awesome.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:16 am

See how it looks on the boxing news page.
https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com/portal.htm
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:19 am

marble a unbelieveable find..i never heared of the guy either..the slappsie-maxie of the lightweights.your point of saying is some fighters today are called a lock for the hall is well taken.they call winky a lock.for what 12 fights in almost 13 years..please.thats just one example.anyone who was ranked for 8 straight years in that era had to be beyound good or very good.and to be litterly unnoticed or not talked about by several national boxing historians is unreal..who he fough as you pointed out and how he did surely merits consideration by the hall with a old timers committe much like baseball has..your idea of looking up your greatness series surely is fantastic and indeed would give the forum a section of uniqueness that others dont..its a major plus and a wonderfull summary of boxings history..im all for it..again we learn something new every day..thanks so much.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:45 pm

dmar5143 wrote:marble a unbelieveable find..i never heared of the guy either..the slappsie-maxie of the lightweights.your point of saying is some fighters today are called a lock for the hall is well taken.they call winky a lock.for what 12 fights in almost 13 years..please.thats just one example.anyone who was ranked for 8 straight years in that era had to be beyound good or very good.and to be litterly unnoticed or not talked about by several national boxing historians is unreal..who he fough as you pointed out and how he did surely merits consideration by the hall with a old timers committe much like baseball has..your idea of looking up your greatness series surely is fantastic and indeed would give the forum a section of uniqueness that others dont..its a major plus and a wonderfull summary of boxings history..im all for it..again we learn something new every day..thanks so much.

How did we miss THIS guy?????????

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Great post, Marble. I'm shocked at all this. Just by reading your article, he sounds like a rich man's version of "Jimmy Young." I'm convinced that we should have a "Best fighter never to win a title" section. The article on "Joyce" was also excellent. Most people think Sam Langford or Jerry Quarry are the best never to win a title. They may be right, but there are some great fighters to challenge those guys with.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Frank wrote:Great post, Marble. I'm shocked at all this. Just by reading your article, he sounds like a rich man's version of "Jimmy Young." I'm convinced that we should have a "Best fighter never to win a title" section. The article on "Joyce" was also excellent. Most people think Sam Langford or Jerry Quarry are the best never to win a title. They may be right, but there are some great fighters to challenge those guys with.
Not a bad idea.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:19 pm

good idea frank cause there are many.billy graham billy petrole harry wills .thoses names of course were familar with but the ramey guy nope..joyce i was familar with but there are im sure a few more like ramey that have excaped all of us.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:20 pm

dmar5143 wrote:good idea frank cause there are many.billy graham billy petrole harry wills .thoses names of course were familar with but the ramey guy nope..joyce i was familar with but there are im sure a few more like ramey that have excaped all of us.
We could make it a sticky and put it at the top just like our immortals.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down