The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I almost feel bad for Williams

3 posters

Go down

I almost feel bad for Williams Empty I almost feel bad for Williams

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:13 am

Paul Williams is an entertaining fighter who never quits throwing. What disgusts me is the blatant preferential treatment he has been afforded by HBO and corrupt boxing officials. I sense many people now really dislike Williams. I guess you can't blame him for the dodgy actions of his manager and the HBO brass.

The constant yammering of his incompetent trainer and promoter about him being "feared" and not being able to get a fight between 147 and 160 is also disgusting given the history of his performances.

youknowwhatI'msayin?

Back to top Go down

I almost feel bad for Williams Empty Re: I almost feel bad for Williams

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Canvas wrote: Paul Williams is an entertaining fighter who never quits throwing. What disgusts me is the blatant preferential treatment he has been afforded by HBO and corrupt boxing officials. I sense many people now really dislike Williams. I guess you can't blame him for the dodgy actions of his manager and the HBO brass.

The constant yammering of his incompetent trainer and promoter about him being "feared" and not being able to get a fight between 147 and 160 is also disgusting given the history of his performances.

youknowwhatI'msayin?

I feel bad for most fighters that receive a dodgy decision. Their reputation/public image gets soiled so much more than a simple loss. Paul is a courageous fighter who has fought pretty good competition over 3 divisions. He avenged his first loss and only loss against a P4P fighter besides that. My boy Devon Alexander suffers from the same problem. If he had got either loss to Kotelnik or Matthysse, he would be more liked. He fights hard and has a good following in the STL. He has fought 3 top 10 fighters within the year at age 24 but that doesn't get mentioned.

We'll see if Paul can come back from this.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:43 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:
Canvas wrote: Paul Williams is an entertaining fighter who never quits throwing. What disgusts me is the blatant preferential treatment he has been afforded by HBO and corrupt boxing officials. I sense many people now really dislike Williams. I guess you can't blame him for the dodgy actions of his manager and the HBO brass.

youknowwhatI'msayin?

I feel bad for most fighters that receive a dodgy decision. Their reputation/public image gets soiled so much more than a simple loss. Paul is a courageous fighter who has fought pretty good competition over 3 divisions. He avenged his first loss and only loss against a P4P fighter besides that. My boy Devon Alexander suffers from the same problem. If he had got either loss to Kotelnik or Matthysse, he would be more liked. He fights hard and has a good following in the STL. He has fought 3 top 10 fighters within the year at age 24 but that doesn't get mentioned.

We'll see if Paul can come back from this.

He is taking punishment in all of his fights. Win against cheato-took some big shots. Loss to Quintana-took alot of straight lefts. controversial win over martinez-got tagged alot. Abbreviated win over Cintron-got tagged with big right hands. KO'd by big left hand by martinez. Robbery against lara-he got hit with straight lefts and was bloodied and battered.

He isn't taking the punches the same (I had the feeling in the Cintron fight that the fights had taken a decent toll on PW already and Cintron had a good shot of hurting PW bad with a right hand in the next few rounds). He should consider walking away before he takes a real bad prolonged beating from someone that can punch like martinez.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:43 pm

I think Alexander is different because he doesn't fight with heart like Williams. I personally don't want to see Alexander anymore. But you're right he wouldn't be so disliked if he hadn't gotten a couple of gifts.

I think Williams is done as a top tier fighter. Sergio ruined him.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Canvas wrote:I think Alexander is different because he doesn't fight with heart like Williams. I personally don't want to see Alexander anymore. But you're right he wouldn't be so disliked if he hadn't gotten a couple of gifts.

I think Williams is done as a top tier fighter. Sergio ruined him.

Sergio topped off what was coming. You can't just eat punches with your face as your defense against guys like Quintana, Cheato, Martinez, Cintron, and then martinez again.

When you face guys who are legit top 10 and who are at least solid to good punchers you have to avoid getting hit or your prime is going to be relatively short (which PW's appears to have been).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:49 pm

captainanddew wrote:
I had the feeling in the Cintron fight that the fights had taken a decent toll on PW already and Cintron had a good shot of hurting PW bad with a right hand in the next few rounds.

I agree. If Cintron wasn't of such weak character he could have had a career transforming victory that would have brought him a couple of big paydays.... Instead he took what he saw as an easy way to a No Contest while still getting his full purse. It backfired.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:37 pm

I don't feel bad for him at all. He had the option to admit he lost or make some sort of a concession and he didn't. He has the option to give Lara a rematch and I doubt that he will.

Anyways, sounds like he's done well for himself outside of boxing and gets to retire with an undeserved W. He's been a fun fighter to watch but he's limited above 147. His best attribute is his size, and stamina. At 147 he wears guys out, at 154 he can absorb punishment and be a factor, and at 160 he gets put to sleep.

The thing I respect about him is he seemed to succeed on heart alone. He has the most incompetent trainer I've ever heard and he made himself into a world class fighter.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down