The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK PW vs SM?

3 posters

Go down

OK PW vs SM? Empty OK PW vs SM?

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Do you guys think this will top the first fight they had or do you see it as a very tactical fight?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

OK PW vs SM? Empty Re: OK PW vs SM?

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:19 pm

great question..i think you could see possibly a re-run of the first fight in general..im shocked that williams has not worked on a jab ..his last fight he fought again like hes 5 ft 10..i dont know why he and his trainer have not consintrated on developing a good jab.he could set up a lot of things from long distance if he does...i think it will be a combination of tactics and action.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:24 pm

dmar5143 wrote:great question..i think you could see possibly a re-run of the first fight in general..im shocked that williams has not worked on a jab ..his last fight he fought again like hes 5 ft 10..i dont know why he and his trainer have not consintrated on developing a good jab.he could set up a lot of things from long distance if he does...i think it will be a combination of tactics and action.
He is crazy for not using his size advantage. I see it looking just like the first one. Cant say I would hate it. That fight was fun to watch.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Paul Williams is a rather rare fighter. He is 6 ft 1 or 6 ft 2 and has fought at 147 and 154 for most of his fights. Yet he doesn't fight tall. He leans forward and tries to overwhelm opponents with volume.

That strategy seemed to work fine at 147, but he has struggled some at 154 and now 160. Cintron seemed to be coming on before the strange end of that fight. And against martinez, it wasn't the best strategy. He should have jabbed and kept Martinez at bay. Instead he allows the fleet footed Martinez to move and land.

I think we will see a better fight from Martinez in the rematch and he wins a decision (I thought he eked it out the first time, but the judges and about 1/2 the fans and boxing writers seemed to disagree with me).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:31 pm

captainanddew wrote:Paul Williams is a rather rare fighter. He is 6 ft 1 or 6 ft 2 and has fought at 147 and 154 for most of his fights. Yet he doesn't fight tall. He leans forward and tries to overwhelm opponents with volume.

That strategy seemed to work fine at 147, but he has struggled some at 154 and now 160. Cintron seemed to be coming on before the strange end of that fight. And against martinez, it wasn't the best strategy. He should have jabbed and kept Martinez at bay. Instead he allows the fleet footed Martinez to move and land.

I think we will see a better fight from Martinez in the rematch and he wins a decision (I thought he eked it out the first time, but the judges and about 1/2 the fans and boxing writers seemed to disagree with me).
I agree with you. I thought that Cintron was on his way to a huge upset. I see no reason why SM cant win this fight. He is fast and his skills are better than PW's. PW needs to learn how to jab against a fighter like SM.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 pm

I suspect PW is who he is an wll try to make a fight of it. I think Sergio will likely try to make it tactical. One especially goood thing is that these two will leave it out there to win, so there will likely be at least some fireworks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 pm

i realy like both fighters..ill root for sergio though but if williams wins ill be ok with that.this fight will tell me a lot about williams.if the jab isnt used and improved to an advantage will be one thing ill look for..the other is paul likes to fight short so to speak and up close.he fails on 2 things there.he still attempts to throw 100-110 punches a round..slow down to 70 and put leverage on thoses shots and dig in..he doesnt do either.if he continues like before it will tell me williams has peaked because hes not willing to improve on his assets .he wont get any better and he is hitable ..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm

dmar5143 wrote:great question..i think you could see possibly a re-run of the first fight in general..im shocked that williams has not worked on a jab ..his last fight he fought again like hes 5 ft 10..i dont know why he and his trainer have not consintrated on developing a good jab.he could set up a lot of things from long distance if he does...i think it will be a combination of tactics and action.

That is a guy tailor made for a Manny Steward "here's how a tall man should fight" makeover.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm

captainanddew wrote:Paul Williams is a rather rare fighter. He is 6 ft 1 or 6 ft 2 and has fought at 147 and 154 for most of his fights. Yet he doesn't fight tall. He leans forward and tries to overwhelm opponents with volume.

If Martinez is better than the awfully good guy who fought in the last fight? He wins. Any guesses on what Sergio's "ring age" might be?

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:38 pm

PW is a guy who wants to fight. He is forgetting one thing though. Top 10 guys at 154/160 have a much better chance of slowing him down when the power shots land. At 147, he seemed to be able to stand up to big shots with relative ease. Against cintron and martinez, I thought getting hit by bigger guys made a difference.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:39 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

That is a guy tailor made for a Manny Steward "here's how a tall man should fight" makeover.
Only problem I have with that is Steward has made for some boring fighters with his style. But yes Steward would be perfect to make PW a great fighter.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:42 pm

I think Martinez is relatively fresh for his age. 47 fights, which isn't that many.

Most haven't been that grueling as far as I know. There was a loss to Margarito a long time ago.
He took some shots in the PW fight (and the Pavlik fight in the middle rounds), but I don't believe he has any cumulative damage.
He is in good shape and is one of the rare fighters today that you hear about being in the gym to stay in shape in between training camps.

I think he is fresh, and we won't see any slippage from SM for 15-18 months. Of course that is my non-scientific guess.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:43 pm

yes manny stewart could fine tune him a lot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 pm

captainanddew wrote:I think Martinez is relatively fresh for his age. 47 fights, which isn't that many.

Most haven't been that grueling as far as I know. There was a loss to Margarito a long time ago.
He took some shots in the PW fight (and the Pavlik fight in the middle rounds), but I don't believe he has any cumulative damage.
He is in good shape and is one of the rare fighters today that you hear about being in the gym to stay in shape in between training camps.

I think he is fresh, and we won't see any slippage from SM for 15-18 months. Of course that is my non-scientific guess.

I became a SM fan during the first fight with PM. He is a great fighter to watch.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 pm

captainanddew wrote:I think Martinez is relatively fresh for his age. 47 fights, which isn't that many.

Hard to are with that. Kind of odd to think a 35 year old fighter could get better. Jersey Joe Sergio?

Back to top Go down

Post  CervezaExtra Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:25 pm

I haven't watched either of these guys throughout their carreers so my opinion is based purely off my viewing of the first fight.

I think it will be pretty close to their previous match. If they haven't changed too much (and if Paul hasnt improved the jab) then I think Sergio can win. He will have to capitalize on his hitting Paul with the right. (Paul's left side looked pretty banged up) He would have to play Paul's misuse of his height to his advantage.

I'll be pulling for Sergio but I wont be dissapointed how the fight goes as long as its a good one.
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:27 pm

CervezaExtra wrote:I haven't watched either of these guys throughout their carreers so my opinion is based purely off my viewing of the first fight.

I think it will be pretty close to their previous match. If they haven't changed too much (and if Paul hasnt improved the jab) then I think Sergio can win. He will have to capitalize on his hitting Paul with the right. (Paul's left side looked pretty banged up) He would have to play Paul's misuse of his height to his advantage.

I'll be pulling for Sergio but I wont be dissapointed how the fight goes as long as its a good one.

I suspect this one will fun.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:29 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
CervezaExtra wrote:I haven't watched either of these guys throughout their carreers so my opinion is based purely off my viewing of the first fight.

I do too. Hey Marble Cerveza is going with me to the manny pac vs margo fight coming up. It shoule be a great time.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CervezaExtra Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:02 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

I do too. Hey Marble Cerveza is going with me to the manny pac vs margo fight coming up. It shoule be a great time.

Yeah it definitely should be unless we have people like last time come in and try to ruin it. It was still an awesome time though.
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum