The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why wasn't the fight stopped

5 posters

Go down

Why wasn't the fight stopped Empty Why wasn't the fight stopped

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm not a fan of cheato. At a certain point someone has to stop that fight.

The ref wouldn't.
Pac's corner refused to do so.
Where was the doctor?
Where was the commission?

The beating he took will undoubtedly shorten his life.

Pac carried Margarito in alot of the 11th round and the entire 12th round.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Why wasn't the fight stopped Empty Re: Why wasn't the fight stopped

Post  kbyte Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:09 pm

I think it was left go because of Margo's reputation for having an iron chin and because he would always at least throw a jab or two when he was being pummeled.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:12 pm

I understand the flimsy reasons for it continuing, but at what point does a commission or doctor step in and save a guy's health (even a cheater's).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Margo's corner wouldn't stop it because of their respect for Margo. Garcia made a comment at one point late that he would throw in the towel if Margo didn't become more active. Margo for his part never just stood there and ate punches. He would throw a little and move a little. His reputation for enduring the punishment will leaving a stronger impression than anything he's capable of doing at this point in his career.

I think the big reason the commission/doctor didn't stop it is that Margo seemed mentally aware and could see. His eye was a mess but in the 11th when they asked him to count fingers he was lucid. Maybe they thought the damage looked worse than it appeared or didn't want to stop the fight if Margo showed he still had the tools (vision/mental awareness) to compete because of his huge rep for toughness and coming on late.

I think the reason the ref didn't stop it is because Margo kept fighting. If the doctor didn't stop it and the corner didn't stop it, he could argue that Margo was doing enough in the ring to justify keeping the fight going. Margo was never completely defenseless.

The other idea is people hated Margo like I do and wanted to watch karma take its course. Or that they didn't want Pac's detractors to have any excuses (Margo comes on late...his eye wasn't that bad...Pac was tiring, etc.)
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:00 pm

I wonder why the Mayweathers haven't accused Margo of being on A side meth. Margo sure looks like he could take a bullet and keep on coming.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:19 pm

kbyte wrote:I wonder why the Mayweathers haven't accused Margo of being on A side meth. Margo sure looks like he could take a bullet and keep on coming.

Margarito is a damn zombie. If you don't put 2 in the head he's just going to keep coming.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:23 pm

captainanddew wrote:I understand the flimsy reasons for it continuing, but at what point does a commission or doctor step in and save a guy's health (even a cheater's).

A decade or so ago that's a role commission head Larry Hazard used to play in New Jersey. He'd literally climb into the ring from ringside if he thought it was out of control.

Last night I thought Cole did a good job with his testing of Margarito and my own view is at the very highest level of boxing (like last night) the fighter ought to get the benefit of the doubt from the ref. So I was ok with Cole, especially with a doctor OKing Margarito continuing.

But Robert Garcia failed miserably. After the fight he said "Tony would never let me stop it." That is NOT the fighter's decision, that is the cornerman's decision. So Garcia abdicated his responsibility. Weak Robert, just weak.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:26 pm

captainanddew wrote:I understand the flimsy reasons for it continuing, but at what point does a commission or doctor step in and save a guy's health (even a cheater's).

See I don't think at the highest level these reasons are flimsy. The Doctor examined Margo and let him go, waddya gonna do?

As for the commissioner pulling a Larry Hazard? And show up his son? Reason 1216 for there being no nepotism.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Buddy McGirt would have climbed into the ring by the 10th round and stopped it. He actualy cares about his fighters, even if his fighters hate him for doing it
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Tony is a warrior, he never quits.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:42 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

A decade or so ago that's a role commission head Larry Hazard used to play in New Jersey. He'd literally climb into the ring from ringside if he thought it was out of control.

Last night I thought Cole did a good job with his testing of Margarito and my own view is at the very highest level of boxing (like last night) the fighter ought to get the benefit of the doubt from the ref. So I was ok with Cole, especially with a doctor OKing Margarito continuing.

But Robert Garcia failed miserably. After the fight he said "Tony would never let me stop it." That is NOT the fighter's decision, that is the cornerman's decision. So Garcia abdicated his responsibility. Weak Robert, just weak.

Garcia reminded me of Grady Little leaving Pedro Martinez in the game against the Yanks in the '03 ALCS.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:44 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Garcia reminded me of Grady Little leaving Pedro Martinez in the game against the Yanks in the '03 ALCS.

YO MUTHEREFFING RAT BASTERD PRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:35 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

I believe you just hit a Marble sore spot.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:23 pm

captainanddew wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

LOL, good ole Hardcore did NOT do that by accident! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:55 pm

captainanddew wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

I kind of figured he was needling you
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum