The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto vs Margarito II likely for Dec 3rd

4 posters

Go down

Cotto vs Margarito II likely for Dec 3rd Empty Cotto vs Margarito II likely for Dec 3rd

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Top Rank's Bob Arum said the new working date for a rematch between junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito is Dec. 3, in a pay-per-view fight. Margarito stopped Cotto in the 11th round of a 2008 welterweight title bout that hangs under a cloud of suspicion because many believe Margarito fought using loaded gloves. (He was caught trying to fight Shane Mosley with loaded hand wraps in his next fight.) Arum said Margarito, who had recent cataract surgery because of eye injuries sustained against Manny Pacquiao in November, would be ready to fight by December. Top Rank had originally hoped to put on Cotto-Margarito II in July, but then pushed it back to September before moving it again because of Margarito's medical situation. Arum said he hopes to stage the proposed rematch at New York's Madison Square Garden, where Cotto has fought regularly and is a big draw among the Puerto Rican community. Cotto's March 12 fight against Ricardo Mayorga was produced and distributed by Showtime PPV even though Cotto's major fights had regularly been on HBO PPV previously. Arum said Showtime had the right of a first negotiation for Cotto's next fight but that he is free to also shop the bout to HBO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=6648293

Back to top Go down

Cotto vs Margarito II likely for Dec 3rd Empty Re: Cotto vs Margarito II likely for Dec 3rd

Post  dbudge Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:38 pm

i'm guessing they'll have to do the fight in Texas. surely no State Athletic commision is going to sanction this bout given Margarito's recent medical history. as much as this fight needed to be made to clear up a few underlying issues between the pair, the thought of a rematch under the current circumstances makes me slightly uncomfortable

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Cotto vs Margarito II likely for Dec 3rd Empty Re: Cotto vs Margarito II likely for Dec 3rd

Post  captainanddew Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:34 pm

They are going to try to get this fight in NY or Vegas from what Rafael has stated.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:59 pm

I don't see NY giving him a license, between his eye problems and of course being a cheating scumbag. Chances are Bobfather puts this in TX, who will let anyone fight.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:02 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:I don't see NY giving him a license, between his eye problems and of course being a cheating scumbag. Chances are Bobfather puts this in TX, who will let anyone fight.

I think he can get licensed.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 pm

I think it's depending on how fucked up his eye is. They'll probably overlook his history of being a shithead.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:23 pm

What a shocker heh

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down