The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonathan Brookins looks to return at UFC Fight Night 25 – at featherweight

Go down

Jonathan Brookins looks to return at UFC Fight Night 25 – at featherweight Empty Jonathan Brookins looks to return at UFC Fight Night 25 – at featherweight

Post  freakzilla Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:36 am

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23870/jonathan-brookins-looks-to-return-at-ufc-fight-night-25-at-featherweight.mma

After injuries pulled him out of his first bookings since winning "The Ultimate Fighter 12" in 2010, Jonathan Brookins finally has a date scheduled for his return.

He also has a new weight class.

The former WEC fighter and fan favorite told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) he's got a spot on September's UFC Fight Night 25 event in New Orleans, and he's looking to make his return to 145 pounds at the show.

A venue hasn't been announced for the Spike TV-televised card, but the date is set.

"Sept. 17," Brookins said. "I don't know exactly who I'm fighting, but they said that's when I'm fighting."

And Brookins (12-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who won "TUF" as a lightweight, is returning to featherweight, a division in which he competed once in the WEC (and suffered a third-round TKO loss to now-champ Jose Aldo).

"I'm going to drop down to the 145-pound division," he said. "There, I think I can make the most fireworks. There are a lot of great fights there.

"I do kind of want to go after (Mark) Hominick and Aldo and those guys – not in a malicious way ... but those are the guys who really spark my interest."

Since his initial loss to Aldo, Brookins has won four consecutive pro fights. He also won four exhibition bouts on "TUF 12" before a victory over Michael Johnson at the show's live finale back in December.

Brookins had been scheduled for returns at UFC 129 (against John Makdessi) and this weekend's TUF 13 Finale event (against Jeremy Stephens), but a broken orbital halted those plans. Brookins said it wasn't anything especially serious and that it affected "the bottom floor of my eye and caught up some nerves and stuff." He was able to do most of his training, but the injury would "tease" him and make itself known at sporadic times.

But expecting to be fully healthy by September, he's anticipating a return to featherweight, and – possibly – a rematch with Aldo sometime down the line.

"He's definitely the best opponent I've fought for sure," said Brookins, who was hobbled by Aldo's leg kicks during their WEC 36 meeting. "He did a super number on me. He just tore apart my legs. I get hurt fighting and stuff, but I never fought anybody who felt like they were fighting with weapons.

"I think he needs to get checked for some type of adamantium, some Wolverine-type bones or something."

While he was joking about the Wolverine traits, he's serious about his need to progress before he meets Aldo again.

"Lord willing, if I ever get the chance to have that match again, I'd have to be a completely different fighter, even better than the one I am today," he said. "Even the me today would do better, but not so much better. [Aldo] still has a lot in the arsenal."
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down