The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: Official Guerrero vs Maidana for Aug. 27

+6
UBeeg9cats
hardcorebee24
gomez1012
captainanddew
kbyte
GrantZilla
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

UPDATE: Official Guerrero vs Maidana for Aug. 27  Empty UPDATE: Official Guerrero vs Maidana for Aug. 27

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:26 am

According to MaxBoxing's Steve Kim, Golden Boy Promotions is hoping to match two of their stars on an August 6 edition of HBO Boxing After Dark. Kim says that Richard Schaefer wants to pit Robert Guerrero and Marcos Maidana against one another.

Guerrero (29-1-1, 18 KO) was in the running to face Amir Khan on July 23, but Khan is now set to face Zab Judah on that date instead. Maidana (30-2, 27 KO) has been mentioned in discussions to rematch Khan (Maidana will be named Khan's mandatory challenger soon) and Erik Morales, but neither is in the cards, as Maidana reportedly wants too much money to fight Morales again, and Khan is, obviously, busy for the time being.

It was earlier reported at BoxingScene.com that Maidana is trying to land a fight for August, so this would make sense. The only question I have is whether or not Maidana would want to fight Guerrero, which is a matchup that could put his status as top-ranked WBA challenger at some considerable risk. Guerrero will be moving up to 140 pounds, and has the frame to do so successfully. He's a better boxer than Maidana. And in all honesty, as much a diehard favorite as Maidana has become, he ducked out of two dates last year with Timothy Bradley, and now refuses a Morales rematch. He's careful about who and when he fights. Guerrero might not be the right fit for him overall, at least in his mind, and the fight probably isn't worth a lot of money, really.

To sidetrack a bit and go back to Erik Morales, it has also been reported that the Mexican star turned down a $1.5 million offer to face Amir Khan on July 23.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/5/31/2199765/robert-guerrero-next-fight-marcos-maidana-august-6-hbo-boxing-news

Last edited by GrantZilla on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Official Guerrero vs Maidana for Aug. 27  Empty Re: UPDATE: Official Guerrero vs Maidana for Aug. 27

Post  kbyte Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:12 am

Why is Guerrero being matched up with 140lbers? Theres plenty of good fights for him at 135.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Official Guerrero vs Maidana for Aug. 27  Empty Re: UPDATE: Official Guerrero vs Maidana for Aug. 27

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:23 am

kbyte wrote:Why is Guerrero being matched up with 140lbers? Theres plenty of good fights for him at 135.

Not at the moment there isn't. JMM is busy fighting Pac, Rios is fighting Antillon in July, and Soto is fighting Motoki Sasaki in June.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:02 am

unbelievable for a so called fearless fighter.he gained popularity in 3 fights because hes fights fan friendly and suppose to be a tough guy..lets look at the fights.he gets droped 3 times by ortiz but wins due to ortiz basicaly giving up..he fights kahn gets decked and wins over fans because he almost pulls out a ko in a loss.this fight opens doors to him which he now shuts..then theres morales where everyone thought this fight was a given and a mismatch in favor of maidana.he takes the fight because of that and the moneys realy realy good.he didnt complain about the money then.
so he does the bullshit calling out of kahn which everyones does today..they dont fight just call a guy out ..now the doors that are opened take away the 2 big excuses why fighters dont fight today.1.they need a tv date.well tv has set aside dates for him...they want money.the morales fight would of given him a big payday..morales im sure would of been a little more money then before because the rematch fans would love..the real reason he turned it down is that morales proved hes not a soft touch..he backs out of a fight then another fight with bradley whos the top guy in the divison..tv and money was there...now there trying to match him up with the ghost instead of ortiz which is a natural fight with a revenge factor built in..the differnce is probably he wants the bigger payday and against ortiz who has a welter belt thats not going to fly but with the ghost its a possibilty...yeah the excuses are not valid NOW are they..yep thats todays imposters called fighters.sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:51 am

Maidana fought Kotelnik, Ortiz, Khan, and Morales. that list of opponents is better than what 90% of the top 10 ranked guys in any weight class have faced.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Id love to see it happen, bring it to San Jose!!!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:22 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Id love to see it happen, bring it to San Jose!!!

You are desperate for a fight in your area. I think it's time you move to a fight town.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:25 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Id love to see it happen, bring it to San Jose!!!

You are desperate for a fight in your area. I think it's time you move to a fight town.

Desperate for a big fight in my area not involving Andre Ward

Ive checked out a couple of the Solo Boxeo shows, but thats So Low Boxeo, hard to enjoy mismatch after mismatch lol

And seriously its better than putting it in Vegas

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:03 pm

I just don't understand Guerrero's eagerness to move up to Jr Welterweight already, he's only had three fights at Lightweight, one against a top ten guy. I hate weight hoppers.

And it's even more silly now that Golden Boy and Top Rank are about to kiss and make up.

Miguel Vazquez is free !!!

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Ali wrote:I just don't understand Guerrero's eagerness to move up to Jr Welterweight already, he's only had three fights at Lightweight, one against a top ten guy. I hate weight hoppers.

And it's even more silly now that Golden Boy and Top Rank are about to kiss and make up.

Money, if he can earn more money fighting Maidana, who is a top five ranked Jr. Welter than why not. As stated all of the top light weights are busy and five pounds isn't really shit when you think about it. Jr. Welter, though competitive, is a bullshit division.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:16 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Ali wrote:I just don't understand Guerrero's eagerness to move up to Jr Welterweight already, he's only had three fights at Lightweight, one against a top ten guy. I hate weight hoppers.

Money, if he can earn more money fighting Maidana, who is a top five ranked Jr. Welter than why not. As stated all of the top light weights are busy and five pounds isn't really shit when you think about it. Jr. Welter, though competitive, is a bullshit division.

HBO $
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:18 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

Meh, the money won't be that huge, not unless Guerrero can land a 50/50 deal against Khan.

And I repeat Miguel Vazquez is free, and Soto doesn't have a big fight lined up after his tune up.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Ali wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Meh, the money won't be that huge, not unless Guerrero can land a 50/50 deal against Khan.

And I repeat Miguel Vazquez is free, and Soto doesn't have a big fight lined up after his tune up.

Soto is a bigger name than Maidana? Maybe to us. If Guerrero can campaign at both weights whats the problem? I don't mind the Vazquez fight, but who is his promoter?
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:28 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Ali wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Soto is a bigger name than Maidana? Maybe to us. If Guerrero can campaign at both weights whats the problem? I don't mind the Vazquez fight, but who is his promoter?

Zanafer I think.

I just hate weight jumping, I'd rather see fighters stay and make a statement in their current division than chase money. But this will never happen Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Ali wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
Ali wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Zanafer I think.

I just hate weight jumping, I'd rather see fighters stay and make a statement in their current division than chase money. But this will never happen Sad

Not when five or less pounds separates a division. What would be cool is if a guy controlled both 140 and 147 or 147 and 154. Then I wouldn't give a shit what they did. Just continue to fight the best in either division.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Not a lot in the division for Guerrero right now. A win over Soto realy doesn't prove or do anything for him.

Only fight that'd mean something in the division be him against the Champ or Rios.

A fight with Maidana would be a entertaining fight that'd boost his standings.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Plenty options at Lightweight, Guerrero's just fallen into the trap that other American boxers have.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Ali wrote:Plenty options at Lightweight, Guerrero's just fallen into the trap that other American boxers have.

What does fighting the 9th ranked Vazquez do for Guerrero over the 3rd ranked Jr Welter Maidana?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:57 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Ali wrote:Plenty options at Lightweight, Guerrero's just fallen into the trap that other American boxers have.

What does fighting the 9th ranked Vazquez do for Guerrero over the 3rd ranked Jr Welter Maidana?

Gives him a legitimate Lightweight world title and another win over a solid top ten opponent.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:32 pm

[quote="Ali"]
GrantZilla wrote:Gives him a legitimate Lightweight world title and another win over a solid top ten opponent.

What does a trinket do for him, outside sanctioning fees, when everyone knows JMM is the Champion of the division?

If JMM or Rios were available, I'd agree. He should fight them. But they're not.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:16 pm

Grant, I know you hate trinkets but JMM SHOULD be vacating his trinkets very soon. If that likely scenario happens, Guerrero would be a unified titlist and the fight against Vazquez would give him 3 trinkets which is still a pretty big deal. He could then fight Soto so that the 2 fighters would have all 4 "legit" belts going in regardless of when one gets stripped.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:20 pm

So is JMM an asshole for Jumping to welter and fighting Manny?
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:35 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:Grant, I know you hate trinkets but JMM SHOULD be vacating his trinkets very soon. If that likely scenario happens, Guerrero would be a unified titlist and the fight against Vazquez would give him 3 trinkets which is still a pretty big deal. He could then fight Soto so that the 2 fighters would have all 4 "legit" belts going in regardless of when one gets stripped.

Blah. If JMM loses to Pac he needs to figh Rios or Guerrero
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 pm

I think JMM is close to done and has done enough in the lightweight division. These new lightweights are very tough and I don't want JMM coming down in weight to face those monsters. Let him try to make Mexican history at 140.

Side note, I am very excited about the possible newest member here. You can see the username at the bottom of the main page and I have reasons to believe he is the real deal.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:22 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:

So is JMM an asshole for Jumping to welter and fighting Manny?

Not really, Marquez is a 37 year old future HOF, he's got multiple defenses under his belt and has two razor thin close loses too Manny. Marquez has earned the right to pick and choose at this stage of his career.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum