The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan vs Zab Judah set for July 23rd

+3
flapanther2001
gomez1012
GrantZilla
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Amir Khan vs Zab Judah set for July 23rd Empty Amir Khan vs Zab Judah set for July 23rd

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Junior welterweight titleholders Amir Khan and Zab Judah will meet to unify their belts in one of the biggest fights of the summer on July 23 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Judah promoter Kathy Duva of Main Events told ESPN.com.

The bout will headline HBO's "World Championship Boxing," the second fight of a four-fight deal Khan signed with the network before his April 16 victory against Paul McCloskey.

Duva said she made a deal with Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer, Khan's promoter, on Tuesday morning, a little more than a week after titleholder Timothy Bradley turned his back on a career-high payday of at least $1.4 million to face Khan.

The fight with Bradley was the one Khan really wanted, and the fight HBO was hoping for. But when Bradley stunningly rejected a 50-50 deal -- including half of the money generated from the television rights in Khan's native England -- attention turned elsewhere.

Schaefer offered the fight to resurgent former three-division champion Erik Morales, who works with Golden Boy, but he rejected the fight. That left Judah, a big name and owner of a world title, as the obvious choice. "We've agreed on the terms and the contracts are being drawn," Duva said.

Schaefer and Duva have been going back and forth for days over the deal. Khan wanted a 60-40 split in his favor while Judah wanted a 50-50 deal on everything other than the British television revenue, which he said Khan could keep.

The sides eventually agreed to a 55-45 split in Khan's favor, but the sticking point was location. Golden Boy insisted on Las Vegas while Duva hoped to explore a deal in Atlantic City, N.J., Judah's home region. Duva and Judah eventually dropped that demand, clearing the way for a deal.

"I told Zab I'd rather just get the promotion going and get him in the gym and we'll make money at the site in Las Vegas if we promote it well," Duva said. "Zab agreed. At some point you stop quibbling over a couple of points. Zab will make money when he beats this guy. That's where the upside is. They each have a world title, but the thing Khan has that Zab doesn't is a multi-fight agreement with HBO. That's where his strength comes from. And when Zab beats him, HBO will be seeking out Zab Judah for a multi-fight contract. He'll be the man at that point."

"I got what I wanted, so I am happy. Now it's time to go work," said Judah, who was on his way to the gym for a training session. "I've been praying on this fight. My goal is to be undisputed champion at two weights. I did it at 147 and I'm gonna do it at 140 starting with Amir Khan. I'm gonna work hard. I'm very experienced, so whichever way he brings the fight I can deal with it and take it from him.

"I know Amir wanted the Bradley fight, but who wouldn't? Bradley can't break an egg. A fight with 'Super' Judah is not a fight Amir wanted. Don't let him lie to you."

Khan, however, sure sounded gung-ho about facing Judah, with whom he has engaged in an amusing war of words on Twitter in recent days.

"Zab's a good fighter. He's strong, he's fit. All the stuff on Twitter is fun, but we're both professionals. It's just spicing things up," Khan told ESPN.com a couple of days before the deal was agreed to. "He was undisputed champion at 147 and now he's a champion at 140. ... If Bradley don't want me, I'm happy to take Judah on and beat him."

Khan (25-1, 17 KOs) will be making his fifth defense of the belt he won by virtual shutout decision against Andriy Kotelnik in July 2009. He knocked out Dmitriy Salita in 76 seconds in his first defense and followed with an 11th-round TKO of former titlist Paulie Malignaggi, a decision against slugger Marcos Maidana in an action-packed bout named 2010 Boxing Writers Association of America fight of the year, and a six-round technical decision against McCloskey in April.

Judah (41-6, 28 KOs), 33, will be making the first defense of his third 140-pound title reign. He won his first 140-pound belt in 2000 and made five defenses before suffering his first defeat, a second-round knockout to Kostya Tszyu in a fight for the undisputed championship. Judah eventually won another slice of the title in 2003 and eventually moved up in weight. He captured the undisputed welterweight title in 2005 when he went to Cory Spinks' hometown of St. Louis and knocked him out in the ninth round.

In 2006, Carlos Baldomir outpointed Judah in a massive upset to win the welterweight crown. Judah later suffered welterweight losses to Floyd Mayweather Jr., Miguel Cotto and Joshua Clottey and decided he would be best served by returning to the junior welterweight division.

He moved down in weight last summer and stopped Jose Armando Santa Cruz in three rounds. In November, he won a split decision against Lucas Matthysse in a title eliminator. When Devon Alexander was stripped of his version of the title for not facing No. 1 contender Kaizer Mabuza, Judah got the opportunity to face Mabuza for the vacant belt in March and made the most of it.

Judah, who brought in Hall of Famer and mentor Pernell Whitaker to train him along with his father, Yoel Judah, knocked Mabuza out in the seventh round, setting the stage for the fight with Khan.

"You see Bradley and Morales turning down this fight with Khan and, at some point, you just say, 'OK, thank you.' Zab is very excited to get the fight. So is Whitaker," Duva said. "This leads Zab to a very nice position in the fall where he's got major fights and nothing but major fights when he wins. We're all very excited about it. We believed since he came back to junior welterweight that he could beat everyone in the division. He's already taken out Matthysse and Mabuza and now it's Khan."

Said Judah, "My trainer, Pernell Whitaker, will have a great game plan for this fight. I knew this fight was coming and I've been preparing myself. I have already been training. I wish we could do a press conference tomorrow so I could take off my shirt and show everybody how ready I am already."

Whitaker's presence in Judah's corner makes it a fight with two big-name trainers. Khan is trained by five-time trainer of the year Freddie Roach.

"Freddie Roach against Pernell Whitaker, that's a helluva trainer matchup," Duva said. "It will be really interesting to watch them go head to head and try to outdo the other guy's game plan."

Golden Boy and Main Events will share the undercard and Duva said she intends to put welterweight contender Joel "Love Child" Julio (37-4, 31 KOs) on the card in one of her company's fights. Julio scored a lopsided decision win against Anges Adjaho on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" on May 20.

"Our plan is to put him on the card," she said. "We're looking for somebody interesting for him to fight. Maybe we can match him with one of Golden Boy's fighters."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6612139

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan vs Zab Judah set for July 23rd Empty Re: Amir Khan vs Zab Judah set for July 23rd

Post  GrantZilla Tue May 31, 2011 5:04 pm

I knew a deal would be made. Zab is a desperate man

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan vs Zab Judah set for July 23rd Empty Re: Amir Khan vs Zab Judah set for July 23rd

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Love child on the undercard, which Welterweights do Golden Boy have ?

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue May 31, 2011 5:14 pm

Ali wrote:Love child on the undercard, which Welterweights do Golden Boy have ?

Just wondering that too...

Matt Hatton? lol
Paulie?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue May 31, 2011 5:15 pm

Ortiz is the only top ranked welter I know of that GB has.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 5:18 pm

Paulie Malignaggi would make sense.

I can't see Mathew Hatton coming back to America unless it's for a title.

Victor Ortiz has a mandatory and including him on the card would be too expensive for HBO.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Do they have any prospects they could throw in there?

Danny Garcia?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 5:42 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Do they have any prospects they could throw in there?

Danny Garcia?

Hmm interesting, perhaps a bit risky right now. Also I think Garcia is a Jr Welterweight.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue May 31, 2011 5:44 pm

Jose Miguel Cotto?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue May 31, 2011 5:46 pm

Didnt even realize GBP has no welterweights outside of Ortiz! Nuts
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 pm

Welter is pretty dried up. Jr Welter seems where it's all at now
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Jose Miguel Cotto?

Not bad, Cotto would make for a fun fight with Love Child.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue May 31, 2011 6:01 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Welter is pretty dried up. Jr Welter seems where it's all at now

Maidana vs Love Child? Laughing
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue May 31, 2011 6:01 pm

How dumb is Bradley gonna feel if Zab wins?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue May 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Danny Garcia?
Who has Mike Jones?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue May 31, 2011 6:04 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:How dumb is Bradley gonna feel if Zab wins?

Not much, Im sure Zab would love that fight
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 6:09 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:

Danny Garcia?
Who has Mike Jones?

Top Rank.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue May 31, 2011 6:38 pm

finally. judah probably doesnt have the mental capacity to win this fight though. thats where he has lost pretty much all of his fights.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue May 31, 2011 6:54 pm

If the odds are right, I might be tempted to throw down on Judah

Khan gets reckless and Judah can crack!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan vs Zab Judah set for July 23rd Empty KAHN-JAB FIGHT ON PAC AND GB SETTLE SUIT

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 11:40 pm

the kahn fight its vegas and a 55-45 split.congrats to fighters that want to fight.jab has a belt and this is his 3rd fight against a top 140..congrats to kahn also and bradley go fuck yourself.
on another note golden boy issued a excellent public apology to pac and the law siut was droped and settled out of court.more evidence in a suit with floyd is being presented to the court with floyds latest junk.
arum said this opens the door for there fighters to fight pac and for the two promoters to make other fights together..all shook hands and arum said this move by GB was the key to remove blocks from working together..its on espn internet site.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 pm

Seems shit is crumbling around Flod. GB is no longer backing his sorry ass. Why should they. The fool isn't making them money, he's going to jail.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 11:52 pm

hopefully they can come to a understanding on the donaire thing also.if they work together the next 18 months will have some big fights ...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:55 pm

This is the way it should be for Khan from now on, no easy fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:15 pm

Ali wrote:This is the way it should be for Khan from now on, no easy fights.

Two tough ones per year and two stay busy fights against challengers like McCloskey. Four fights per year. This will be his third in 8 months. I like what the kid is doing.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:20 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Ali wrote:This is the way it should be for Khan from now on, no easy fights.

Two tough ones per year and two stay busy fights against challengers like McCloskey. Four fights per year. This will be his third in 8 months. I like what the kid is doing.

Judah, then back to the UK for a Prescott rematch or the Peterson vs Cayo winner in the fall.

Bradley at the beginning of 2012 or a Maidana rematch, then up to Welterweight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next