The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another easy defense for Ricky Burns

4 posters

Go down

Another easy defense for Ricky Burns Empty Another easy defense for Ricky Burns

Post  Guest Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Junior lightweight titlist Ricky Burns (31-2, 8 KOs) of Scotland now has an opponent for his third defense on July 16 in Liverpool, England: former titleholder Nicky Cook of England.

"I've not had a defense against a domestic opponent yet, so I am relishing this one," said Burns, who outpointed Roman Martinez to win his title in September 2010 and has made defenses against opponents from Ghana and Colombia. "Nicky has always been a fighter I have admired over the years and he's a good fighter, and he we will be really up for getting his old title back on the night. But I will raise my game and deliver my first stoppage win as a champion. There's always something special in the air when England and Scotland clash, and this fight will be no different. Nicky wants his title back, but even if he produces the performance of a lifetime, he won't beat me."

Cook (30-2, 16 KOs) lost his belt in March 2009, when Martinez knocked him out in the fourth round in Manchester, England. After a 26-month layoff, Cook returned on May 21 to score a six-round decision win against Youssef Al Hamidi on the Groves-DeGale undercard. Promoter Warren offered him the title opportunity a few days later.

"I'm still hurting from that night," Cook said of title loss to Martinez. "The only way to heal the pain is to beat Ricky Burns. I felt I had the better of Martinez, but I got sloppy and I got punished. But I won't make the same mistake again. Burns has done well as champion, but believe me, I'm going in their all guns blazing to win back my old belt. I beat a Scotsman in Alex Arthur to win the title, and I'll beat another one to get it back."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=6598115

I hate Frank Warren.

Back to top Go down

Another easy defense for Ricky Burns Empty Re: Another easy defense for Ricky Burns

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 27, 2011 1:53 pm

What's wrong with Cook? He lost his belt to Rocky Martinez
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Another easy defense for Ricky Burns Empty Re: Another easy defense for Ricky Burns

Post  Guest Fri May 27, 2011 2:02 pm

gomez1012 wrote:What's wrong with Cook? He lost his belt to Rocky Martinez

He's a domestic level fighter who hasn't earned this shot. Frank's just keeping it in house as usual.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 27, 2011 2:20 pm

Ali wrote:

He's a domestic level fighter who hasn't earned this shot. Frank's just keeping it in house as usual.

its a good choice since they couldnt get Fana done

I think Cook has a solid shot at the upset
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 27, 2011 2:23 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

its a good choice since they couldnt get Fana done

I think Cook has a solid shot at the upset

I might have accepted this after Ricky had beaten Martinez, but after two easy defenses this is a joke. It's time for Burns to step up and face some top ten guys.

No wonder fans in America ridicule European fighters when their promoters feed them countless easy defenses.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Ali wrote:
I might have accepted this after Ricky had beaten Martinez, but after two easy defenses this is a joke. It's time for Burns to step up and face some top ten guys.

No wonder fans in America ridicule European fighters when their promoters feed them countless easy defenses.

I agree but Cook isnt as bad as other fighters that could of been chosen
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri May 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Ali wrote:

ali, burns is a domestic level fighter that got a lucky shot against a martinez who had a bad night. it's in burns best interest to be fighting the nicky cooks of the world before his limtitations are exposed. i like ricky burns, i don't think you can ask for much more from a professional fighter in terms of heart and effort, but cook isn't going to be an easy defence for him

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri May 27, 2011 4:43 pm

No wonder fans in America ridicule European fighters when their promoters feed them countless easy defenses.[/quote]
So....you've finally crossed over to the dark side....welcome... lol!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Jr. Lightweight also happens to be a very weak division. Fuck, Litzau is ranked 10th.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 27, 2011 5:14 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Jr. Lightweight also happens to be a very weak division. Fuck, Litzau is ranked 10th.

Why you hating on the American Boy???

Since losing to the Ghost Guerrero he's got a nice win streak going, including wins over Juarez and Caballero
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 27, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm not hating. I've always liked watching him fight. What he lacks in skill, he makes up ten fold in heart and determination.

But come on, it's Litzau we're talking about.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down