The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Jones keeping busy on June 25th

3 posters

Go down

Mike Jones keeping busy on June 25th Empty Mike Jones keeping busy on June 25th

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Welterweight contender Mike Jones (24-0, 18 KOs), who is on the verge of a title shot, has his summer mapped out. He will headline a "Top Rank Live" card (Fox Deportes/FSN) on June 25 in his hometown of Philadelphia against an opponent to be determined, Carl Moretti of Top Rank, Jones' co-promoter with Russell Peltz, told ESPN.com. If Jones is successful, he is slated to return in September on HBO in the televised undercard fight for featherweight titleholder Yuriorkis Gamboa's next defense. Gamboa, who does not have an opponent yet, was originally supposed to fight in August, but he has been moved back to September, Moretti said. With the card being moved by HBO, Moretti said Jones and his team wanted to stay active. "None of us wanted to sit around and wait for HBO," Moretti said. "He wants to stay busy, so we will do a fight in June and then, if everything goes well, open up for Gamboa in September." Jones made his HBO debut on Feb. 19, outpointing Jesus Soto Karass in their rematch of Jones' close majority decision win in November.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=6447736

Back to top Go down

Mike Jones keeping busy on June 25th Empty Re: Mike Jones keeping busy on June 25th

Post  gomez1012 Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Good move
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Mike Jones keeping busy on June 25th Empty Re: Mike Jones keeping busy on June 25th

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Hope we get to see Jone vs Kell Brook in September.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:02 pm

I want to see Jones vs Clottey!!!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:03 pm

gomez1012 wrote:I want to see Jones vs Clottey!!!

Not really feeling that right now, would like to see Jones stick to Welterweight.

Clottey should ask for Cintron.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Ali wrote:Hope we get to see Jone vs Kell Brook in September.

doubt we see it. Where do you put the fight? Jones isn't going to the UK. Is Brook keen on coming to the States??? If he is, it would be a great BAD opener. I do doubt that Brook or Jones would take the fight. Either guy can just keep improving and then try to get shots at trinkets in the next year.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:26 am

i'd like to think that Jones would travel to the UK to fight Brook. he gave Soto-Karass his rematch to put the doubters to rest. his keep busy move here seems like that of a guy trying to prove himself at the top level. Brook is now promoted by Matchroom sports which has massive ties with Sky Sports which will mean the money will be there for a Brook vs Jones showdown. i think a lot of it will depend on how long Pacquiao keeps hold of his WBO Welterweight title because Jones and Brook are both ranked number 1 and 2 respectively for it. if the WBO strip Pacquiao then i can see a Brook vs Jones fight definitely happening

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:28 am

captainanddew wrote:
Ali wrote:Hope we get to see Jone vs Kell Brook in September.

doubt we see it. Where do you put the fight? Jones isn't going to the UK. Is Brook keen on coming to the States??? If he is, it would be a great BAD opener. I do doubt that Brook or Jones would take the fight. Either guy can just keep improving and then try to get shots at trinkets in the next year.

Both men are on the verge of a WBO eliminator, so if a deal isn't made it could go to purse bids.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum