The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fat Dan possibly heading to HBO as a matchmaker

+5
UBeeg9cats
Frank
Diego408
gomez1012
GrantZilla
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fat Dan possibly heading to HBO as a matchmaker Empty Fat Dan possibly heading to HBO as a matchmaker

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:13 pm

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Fat Dan possibly heading to HBO as a matchmaker Empty Re: Fat Dan possibly heading to HBO as a matchmaker

Post  gomez1012 Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Wtf Evil or Very Mad

Fucking Greenburg and Schaefer...
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Fat Dan possibly heading to HBO as a matchmaker Empty Re: Fat Dan possibly heading to HBO as a matchmaker

Post  Diego408 Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Even though no one here is a fan of Fat Dan, he'd could easily be a better match maker than the guys HBO have now. As long as fat Dan isnt judging fights or broadcasting them, Im fine.

Last edited by Diego408 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Diego408 wrote:Even though no one here is a fan of Fat Dan, he'd could easily be a better match maker than the guys HBO have now. As long as fat Dan isnt judging fight or broadcasting them, Im fine.

+1
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Now it makes sense why he swings off HBO and GB.

He will make no difference as long as GreenChump still calls the shots and continue their favoritism to GB
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:47 pm

Hmm, it could be a smart idea, but sometimes in Dan's chat he's pooped over perfectly good fight suggestions.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Diego408 wrote:Even though no one here is a fan of Fat Dan, he'd could easily be a better match maker than the guys HBO have now. As long as fat Dan isnt judging fight or broadcasting them, Im fine.
..ill agree and disagree with the article..passing dan off as just a writter is saying that no one who ever fought etc etc should not be involved in suggesting fights for hbo..hmm tex richard jimmy jacobs don king bob arum and others then did not qualify for being a promoter..fat dan i think could be a plus and he will have a major imput on the programing for sure.his ego will not allow anything otherwise..if this does come down i think its a step foward for hbo.diuspite our opinions on dan he has hinted at or suggested in his chats some excellent matches he would like to see.dan is also a huge boxing fan of today and to say jones jr knows better well jones guided his career and look at the shit he gave us..i feel al hamon GB etc etc days of big influence over hbo is numbered.this is a decent intelligent move by hbo..give it a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:07 pm

This reeks of nothing but a cheap PR move by HBO. If they were serious about making needed changes, they'd get rid of Greenberg and get someone who actualy understand the sport in charge. Then they would hire their own point man to do the matchmaking.

Nothing will change as long as Greenberg calls the shot. Davis was nothing but Greenberg's puppet and Fat Dan will be too. He already kisses up to HBO and GB. He knows who writes his checks and has the final say
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Somebody really loves that fat fuy.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:01 pm

I personally like this move. Many people don't like him but he usually can identify what fights are exciting, important, and financially viable. These are the fights that need to be made. I'm sure Lopez would've fought Gamboa or Caba by now if Dan was in charge. Vic-Donaire II would have been locked in at some point too. Dan recognizes Ring champs and this might weaken the grip the abc's have on the sport.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Max was the biggest advocate of The Ring and look how Greenburg puts the muzzle on him.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:11 pm

Ali wrote:Hmm, it could be a smart idea, but sometimes in Dan's chat he's pooped over perfectly good fight suggestions.

he has no idea about fights. He puts down alot of decent fights (because it doesn't interest him). He is narrow minded and full of shit and that applies to his ideas of matchups.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Dan is unquestionably a talented writer.

And isn't that what boxing writers dream of? They're constantly auditioning for a position in boxing or at least secretly coveting it. So good for him.

If anything, it could be good to have a guy in there who is at least cognizant of the needs of boxing fans.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:11 pm

We'll see. This just looks like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I see nothing changing as long as they keep Greenberg.

Showtime is thriving because of Ken Hershman. He's made it a point to understand boxing and be innovative and take risks. Along with adapting the "best fights/no rights" philosophy of his prediccessor.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:11 pm

ScottLevinson wrote:Dan is unquestionably a talented writer.

And isn't that what boxing writers dream of? They're constantly auditioning for a position in boxing or at least secretly coveting it. So good for him.

If anything, it could be good to have a guy in there who is at least cognizant of the needs of boxing fans.
...yep i agree.

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:26 pm

If he becomes matchmaker than his credibility as a writer goes out the window. Half of it already did anyways. There's no way you can be objective writing about fighters while at the same time your job is to match fighters up.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:23 pm

SlickMoney wrote:If he becomes matchmaker than his credibility as a writer goes out the window. Half of it already did anyways. There's no way you can be objective writing about fighters while at the same time your job is to match fighters up.

I was thinking about that. No way he can keep his gig at ESPN and also be a matchmaker at HBO
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:18 am

Dan would be great. Especially if he kept up the ESPN gig. He's in direct communication with the fans and could make the whole match making process a lot more transparent. Whenever he talks about the "Freak cards" they always sound quality to me. He knows a ton about the relative talent and market value each fighter has. I think he would be an excellent choice. I get that he's an ass but this would be a major step in the right direction.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:22 am

Gumby wrote:Dan would be great. Especially if he kept up the ESPN gig. He's in direct communication with the fans and could make the whole match making process a lot more transparent. Whenever he talks about the "Freak cards" they always sound quality to me. He knows a ton about the relative talent and market value each fighter has. I think he would be an excellent choice. I get that he's an ass but this would be a major step in the right direction.

if HBO hires him, he leaves espn. It is a conflict to get paid by HBO to matchmake and then write on the respective cards.

I do like some of the "freak cards" he has suggested in his chats. But at the same time, he has shit on good prospective fights (I thought I was the only one that had noticed that over the years, but Ali pointed it out in this thread).

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:35 pm

David (Wyoming)
Would you care to comment on the rumor connecting you to HBO?

Dan Rafael
(12:31 PM)
Been getting a lot of questions about it. Rumors, rumors, rumors. Don't believe everything you read, unless, of course, I write it!

Deflection or the truth ?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Ali wrote:
David (Wyoming)

Dan Rafael
Been getting a lot of questions about it. Rumors, rumors, rumors. Don't believe everything you read, unless, of course, I write it!

Maybe not. Why would Fat Dan leave his cushy job at ESPN to be some matchmaker at HBO and have GreenNuts breathing down his neck.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:46 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Ali wrote:
David (Wyoming)

Dan Rafael

Maybe not. Why would Fat Dan leave his cushy job at ESPN to be some matchmaker at HBO and have GreenNuts breathing down his neck.

Why wouldn't he, to have the chance to take part in making fights happen and be a major part of the sport. Plus he'll get ringside tickets for all the events and possibly free HBO Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:49 pm

[quote="Ali"]
GrantZilla wrote:Why wouldn't he, to have the chance to take part in making fights happen and be a major part of the sport. Plus he'll get ringside tickets for all the events and possibly free HBO Wink

You kidding me. He already get's that just being with ESPN. ESPN is the biggest Sports network in the US. He probably get's tickets for every fucking fight on the planet just to give it some publicity.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:51 pm

[quote="GrantZilla"]
Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Why wouldn't he, to have the chance to take part in making fights happen and be a major part of the sport. Plus he'll get ringside tickets for all the events and possibly free HBO Wink

You kidding. He already get's that just being with ESPN. ESPN is the biggest Sports network in the US. You kidding me. He probably get's tickets for every fucking fight on the planet just to give it some publicity.

Pay rise and the opportunity to build a career in the tv industry.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Ali wrote:Pay rise and the opportunity to build a career in the tv industry.

Who knows if it would be a pay raise. But as far as building a career in TV industry. ESPN is bigger then HBO. HBO is available to 26 million subscribers and falling.

ESPN is available to like 90 plus million people. They are the most lucrative cable channels.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next