The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great article on Marcanio punching power

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Great article on Marcanio punching power Empty Great article on Marcanio punching power

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:23 am

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Great article on Marcanio punching power Empty Re: Great article on Marcanio punching power

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:28 am

great article.i read that study as a youngster when it first came out.2 things were not mentioned in this article.yes the punch had the force equal to deadlifing 1000 pounds one foot off the ground but what was left of is that deadlift was with ONE arm.the energy and force of a armour pentrtating bullet is correct.what was left off was it was TWICE the effect of that bullet.
184 pounds fight night.joe louis also said and said it best.he hit me harder with one punch then smelling did with a hundred.can you actualy immagine today with the 30 hour before the fight weigh inns rocfky would be a lightheavy not a small cruizer..thats extremly scary..
i met rocky on 3 occasions and it wasnt hi nice to meet you.2 of thoses meetings were hour long one on one talks with him..thanks to a mutual friend the great bantamweight of the 20s bushy graham.
rocky was very honest in his talks and very intelligent guy who was a total gentlemen...on joe louis...dan believe it or not beating joe hurt me as much as it hurt joe.i didnt want to do it..on walcott..joe on a good night would give any fighter who ever lived a rough time..just ask me and louis.on charles..simply one of the most beautifull persons there is.on bushy graham..i love kidding the hell out of bushy and his brother frankie.
rocky hit as hard or harder then anyone who ever put on a pair of gloves.184 pounds of explosive dynimite.
everyone uses a heavy bag.its 75 pounds.rocky used a heavy bag but it was 300 pounds.
hes my all time favorite fighter .he conducted himself with dignity humilty and with deep respect for everyone.i wish fighters of today did the same dam thing.

Back to top Go down

Great article on Marcanio punching power Empty Re: Great article on Marcanio punching power

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:00 am

It was said the real force behind Marcanio power was him being a catcher in baseball, which made his legs the size of tree trunks. He had gigantic thighs, and he knew how to get the full torque out his strong legs.

Unlike skinny punchers, who use their long arms and range to get maximum power, as well perfect accuracy, Rock like Louis could KO you at very short range. Because he was so strong, like Foreman, he could knock you out without the punch even landing flush or being partialy blocked.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:48 pm

i cant imagine how badly marciano would wreck the divisions nowadays. he would cut some weight and be a lightheavy and absolutely destroy. then crusier would be the same thing. he would go into the HW division and win too. nobody would at all be able to take his punch.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:56 pm

interesting info. Thanks for sharing guys.

dmar, with the techniques these guys use now for cutting weight, at 184 fight night, Rocky would possibly fight today as a supermiddle...scary indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Supposedly while making the computer fight with Ali,the Rock broke blood vessels in Ali's arms,keep in mind Marciano was 46 when this happened.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:44 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:Supposedly while making the computer fight with Ali,the Rock broke blood vessels in Ali's arms,keep in mind Marciano was 46 when this happened.

??

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Ali wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:Supposedly while making the computer fight with Ali,the Rock broke blood vessels in Ali's arms,keep in mind Marciano was 46 when this happened.

??

While in exile Ali and Marciano stepped in the ring to choreograph an actual "what if" fight that would be determined by data fed to a computer.This happened in 1969.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:25 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
Ali wrote:

??

While in exile Ali and Marciano stepped in the ring to choreograph an actual "what if" fight that would be determined by data fed to a computer.This happened in 1969.

So Marciano blew a vessel in Ali's arms at 46, that's impressive.

What was Marciano's signature punch ? because I am wondering if the way Ali would struggle with Frazier might impact this fight. Both Frazier and Marciano are roughly the same in size and build.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Rock's signature punch was a right hook, which he called the "Suzie Q" It's the one that mutilated Walcott's face.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Ali wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:
Ali wrote:

??

So Marciano blew a vessel in Ali's arms at 46, that's impressive.

What was Marciano's signature punch ? because I am wondering if the way Ali would struggle with Frazier might impact this fight. Both Frazier and Marciano are roughly the same in size and build.

Rocky had power in both hands,but his signature punch was a straight right hand,which he called Suzie-Q.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:33 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Rock's signature punch was a right hook, which he called the "Suzie Q" It's the one that mutilated Walcott's face.

You beat me to it.I do remember him kayoing Matthews with a double left hook.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Great article on Marcanio punching power Marcianoko_walcott
Suzie Q
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:40 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Great article on Marcanio punching power Marcianoko_walcott
Suzie Q

Hard to tell if it was a hook or a straight right considering it only traveled about six inches.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:42 pm

I think was a straight right. I remember Marcanio crouching down, moving in, and waiting to land it
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Suzie Q Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I think was a straight right. I remember Marcanio crouching down, moving in, and waiting to land it

Yup.Good memory Grant.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Rocky had power in both hands, but his signature punch was a straight right hand, which he called Suzie-Q.

That's what I was thinking, his signature punch was a straight right hand, not a right hook, which he called Suzie-Q.

Last edited by Ring on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Joe Louis wasn't the only one who said Marciano hit hard, Archie Moore said just about everything Marciano hit him with in their fight, hurt. I'm pretty sure "Jersey" Joe Walcott would also vouch for Rocky's power. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:58 pm

I remember reading when Ali and The Rock were filming their fight scene, Ali purposly kept knocking The Rock's wig off with his jab. Eventualy Rock got so fed up he hit Ali full on in the ribs, and Ali said his ribs hurt for months.

I always beleived if both fought in their prime, The Rock would beat Ali. Just because of the styles. Ali like Louis had problems with smaller fighters that fought small.

Add on, and Ali I beleive said this, Rock's style was so wild and unpredictable, it would give him fits. And he never stopped throwing punches, even when majority didn't land.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:57 pm

it was a straight right hand with perfect leverage and timing.the second walcott fight it was a short 6 inch right hand punch that did joe in.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:08 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I remember reading when Ali and The Rock were filming their fight scene, Ali purposly kept knocking The Rock's wig off with his jab. Eventualy Rock got so fed up he hit Ali full on in the ribs, and Ali said his ribs hurt for months.

I always beleived if both fought in their prime, The Rock would beat Ali. Just because of the styles. Ali like Louis had problems with smaller fighters that fought small.

Add on, and Ali I beleive said this, Rock's style was so wild and unpredictable, it would give him fits. And he never stopped throwing punches, even when majority didn't land.

Rocky Highlights:

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Rocky was up on your ass. You better had been prepared for a night of hell with that man coming. Today he would have had a shot at making LH with weigh ins being 5pm the day before.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:03 am

Rocky's knockout punch to Rex Layne sheered his teeth off at the gums.Roland LaStarza suffered broken arms and needed surgery to repair broken blood vessels suffered at the hands of Marciano.The man used a 300lb. heavy bag in training,which may explain his ridiculous power.

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:39 am

As awesome as Rock's power was (and it was), the thing that always stuck out about the man to me, was his class. The guy NEVER trash talked, NEVER gloated, and NEVER took delight in hurting another man. He respected everyone and most of all he respected the fans and the game. This is a guy who was not born with supreme athletic ability. He had to WORK to be good at his craft. He never short-changed himself, the game, or his fans in training camp. Just like he gave it all he had in the ring, he gave it all in training.
Can you imagine Rocky "ducking" a guy because he was from Poland? Or refusing to fight anyone because they "might" be on roids? Can you imagine him going to sleep at night holding a trinket strap and calling himself "champion" while 3 other guys walked around with a trap saying the same thing? Heck no! He would swim across the ocean, fight the guy on his parents porch with the family as the judges and administer the stroids to the guy himself. Rock was a REAL champion. Wish we had one like him today.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next