The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alexander Povetkin vs Jean-Marc Mormeck could happen in June

+2
hardcorebee24
gomez1012
6 posters

Go down

Alexander Povetkin vs Jean-Marc Mormeck could happen in June Empty Alexander Povetkin vs Jean-Marc Mormeck could happen in June

Post  Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:06 pm

While it's clear that undefeated Russian heavyweight Alexander Povetkin is ready to define himself as a top contender, the road to a world title shot remains unclear.

According to the 31-year-old former 2004 Olympic super heavyweight gold medalist's trainer Teddy Atlas, Povetkin, 21-0 (15 KO), could possibly face former cruiserweight champion Jean-Marc Mormeck, 36-4 (22 KO), of France for the vacant WBA "Regular" heavyweight championship in June.

This is all contingent on current WBA titlist David Haye, who is expected to be elevated to "Super" champion status should he face acknowledged champ Wladimir Klitschko in July as is being discussed.

"I think we are ranked number two and Mormeck was the next available contender," said Atlas in a telephone conversation Saturday morning. "Obviously if we have the title, we can defend it and look to unify it with Haye, and eventually one of the Klitschkos."

Atlas added that the fight Mormeck clash would either be in the first or second week of June and would take place in Germany.

Chris Meyer, the CEO of Povetkin's Germany-based promoter Sauerland Event, said that Atlas is jumping the gun a little, and that while Mormeck is on top of their "shortlist of opponents for the June bout," no contract has been signed as of yet.

"Looking at the current ratings, 'Sascha' is rated number 2, so he has good chances to become nominated and the co-challenger will not necessarily be Jean-Marc Mormeck as his current position is at number 7 or so."

This isn't the first time Atlas and Meyer have been in disagreement. Last year, Povetkin withdrew from a title match with Wladimir Klitschko. Meyer told Per Ake Persson that Povetkin wasn't right mentally after the passing of his father last April, while Atlas simply felt Povetkin wasn't ready for that fight.

"I pulled him out of a fight with Klitschko back in September," said Atlas. "I thought at the end of the day, the ending wouldn't be good. I told [Povetkin's handlers] another thing will open up in boxing if you do the right thing.

"We were gonna fight David Haye, which I think is a little different and a little easier because of the physicality, but now Haye is hesitating to fight us so we'll probably fight Mormeck for the world title."

Atlas, who trained Michael Moorer to a heavyweight championship in 1994, likes the Mormeck matchup, as the 6'2" Povetkin is considered to be a small heavyweight in an era of 6'7" monsters. Mormeck, who turns 39 in June, stands a hair under 6'0".

"He's a very experienced guy, physically strong and can bang pretty good," said Atlas. "He's a little slow with his feet and right in front of you, but he's experienced. He doesn't just walk in the front door, he'll change it up on you but for the most part you know where he is.

"He's a physically strong guy, but he's a natural cruiserweight. We won't be dealing with the physical dimensions that we might deal with with a Klitschko. He knows how to be a champion and I think if you fight for the world title, you have to deal with some risks. I think we'll be prepared for those risks."

Mormeck is unbeaten in three heavyweight fights since losing the cruiserweight championship to Haye in 2007, but none of the wins have come by knockout.

http://www.boxingscene.com/povetkin-vs-mormeck-clash-vacant-wba-title-june--36683

Back to top Go down

Alexander Povetkin vs Jean-Marc Mormeck could happen in June Empty Re: Alexander Povetkin vs Jean-Marc Mormeck could happen in June

Post  Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:48 pm

There is no reason Povetkin vs Chagaev shouldn't happen instead.

Back to top Go down

Alexander Povetkin vs Jean-Marc Mormeck could happen in June Empty Re: Alexander Povetkin vs Jean-Marc Mormeck could happen in June

Post  gomez1012 Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Man these HWs make it to easy to hate them

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:24 pm

I don't even know how I'm supposed to feel about this division anymore. There are really four fighters that matter and one is just intriguing because he's a fan favorite. K Bros, Haye and Adamek.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:I don't even know how I'm supposed to feel about this division anymore. There are really four fighters that matter and one is just intriguing because he's a fan favorite. K Bros, Haye and Adamek.

+1

The rest dont even try to fight each other or even make interesting fights
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:52 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:I don't even know how I'm supposed to feel about this division anymore. There are really four fighters that matter and one is just intriguing because he's a fan favorite. K Bros, Haye and Adamek.

i'm glad you've made this point. realistically, Adamek wouldn't be able to hang with the big guys in the 90s or any other era. yeah he is tough and fan friendly, but he is a blown up cruiserweight without a heavyweight punch. that's what us fans have been left to settle with.

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:27 pm

I thinks this is just wishful thinking on the part of Atlas. If Teddy really wanted what was best for Povetkin, he would resign as his trainer.

It's got to be Chagaev vs Povetkin. Chagaev can fight in Germany and Russia so there is nothing preventing the fight from happening.

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:41 pm

So Teddy wants to "unify" the WBA title? He has sunk to a new low.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Norm1023 wrote:So Teddy wants to "unify" the WBA title? He has sunk to a new low.

So when Teddy talking paper champs and knows full well ESPN doesn't endorese ABC belts, he's talking out both sides of his ass.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:18 pm

Blame the WBA for this farce. Mormeck has struggled since he moved up, it's a disgrace that these sanctioning bodies are ranking Jean so highly.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Ali wrote:Blame the WBA for this farce. Mormeck has struggled since he moved up, it's a disgrace that these sanctioning bodies are ranking Jean so highly.

Total joke. Mormeck is old as hell and had to have a rigged ass win against Oquendo. No way he won that fight. NO fucking way.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:34 pm

So when Wlad get's the WBA trinket, and Povetkin wins, will he run from Wlad again.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:40 pm

GrantZilla wrote:So when Wlad get's the WBA trinket, and Povetkin wins, will he run from Wlad again.

Wlad could be 40, Povetkin could still be undefeated, and Atlas would still be saying, "he's not ready." Note to Teddy: He isn't ready. He is never going to be ready for Wlad.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down