The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dude! I got a response back from Greenberg!

+5
Gumby
captainanddew
gomez1012
Soonermark890
GrantZilla
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dude! I got a response back from Greenberg! Empty Dude! I got a response back from Greenberg!

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Grant,

Your characterization of HBO acknowledging the sanctioning bodies is simply not true. If you look at any of our broadcasts or marketing materials you will never hear or see a word about the WBO. WBC. IBF, or WBA. We do not acknowledge them, and if a fighter has a “belt” we refer to the fighter in the broadcast as a “beltholder.” The Ring is a fine magazine, but we also do not feel that The Ring can be afforded this type of lofty status as the definitive ranking organization. Are you even aware of how The Ring comes up with their rankings? Anyway, I hope you have a better understanding of how we operate, and I hope you continue to watch and enjoy HBO’s boxing coverage.

Ross Greenburg
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Dude! I got a response back from Greenberg! Empty Re: Dude! I got a response back from Greenberg!

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:26 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Grant,

Your characterization of HBO acknowledging the sanctioning bodies is simply not true. If you look at any of our broadcasts or marketing materials you will never hear or see a word about the WBO. WBC. IBF, or WBA. We do not acknowledge them, and if a fighter has a “belt” we refer to the fighter in the broadcast as a “beltholder.” The Ring is a fine magazine, but we also do not feel that The Ring can be afforded this type of lofty status as the definitive ranking organization. Are you even aware of how The Ring comes up with their rankings? Anyway, I hope you have a better understanding of how we operate, and I hope you continue to watch and enjoy HBO’s boxing coverage.

Ross Greenburg

What a load of crap. He is so far up his own ass.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dude! I got a response back from Greenberg! Empty Re: Dude! I got a response back from Greenberg!

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:29 pm

I just read the end of the email. Says I'm not suppose to, um, reprint it. Ooops.

Last edited by GrantZilla on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:32 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I just rest end of the email. Says I'm not suppose to, um, reprint it. Ooops.
Why? Is he going to be after us now? LOL
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Grant you need to reply to this POS

Fuck yea we're aware of how ring comes up with the rankings!!!

Its a damn panel of credited writers of the sport, their rankings are considered THE BEST by everyone in the sport!!

http://www.ringtv.com/about/

Ask Ross what the fuck he uses to determine the fights!!!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Ross Greenburg

BS

"Unification"

Dude! I got a response back from Greenberg! 168622_10150381799635354_123284685353_16794266_5493440_n
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:52 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Grant you need to reply to this POS

Its a damn panel of credited writers of the sport, their rankings are considered THE BEST by everyone in the sport!!

I did just that Gomez. I will be shocked if he responds back.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Yea, hilarious how he assumes that you dont know much about Ring or them

No wonder our sport is in the shapes it in...

Imagine if Arum had the budget HBO has...
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:56 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Grant you need to reply to this POS

I did just that Gomez. I will be shocked if he responds back.
I wish ole Greenburg would come over here and argue with us. It would be awesome for him to see exactly how much we know.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Basicaly confirms what I already knew about the guy. He's a fucking TV programmer, and knows jack shit about boxing. And takes us fans for idiots.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 pm

they refered to the fighter not as the beltholder but as the champion..the wbc titlke etc etc is on the line..there anounced also as the wbc WORLDS weterweight champion for example..dont they listen to there own broadcasts..ok look its a dead issue with them.thanks for trying grant....what greenburg has saidin reality is ring is the last ratings that we view in importance..every commision is over them since there mearly a magazine.why should they get that lofty position...maybe because they started the rankings and started for years in that lofty position..
the magazine has lost there prestidge i guess over the years ..reform is needed and one legit ruling body and a commite of boxing experts to have fair honest rankings..it dont have to be ring but its needed..
whats his remark mean on do you know how ring arrives at its rankings.that can mean its golden boy influenced or favoritism or bribes or they pull names out of a hat flip a coin..its a knock on ring..the real question is how do the commisions arrive in there rankings.
guys this is beyound a hbo.or a showtime.there business is showing fights as part of there programing..they do not belong in making boxing policy..nor do they belong in the running of it..
years ago when they starting spliting titles on occasion like robinsons when he fought pender rocky marciano testified in congress boxing needs one legit authority and one final head..instead of a commisioner he called it a boxing czar..other boxers agreed...john mccain knows that also.the govenment has several issues far more important but wheather we like it or not maybe thats they way to go.they set up a absolute ruling authority with legit rules as outlined by many of us and its run by qualified non govenment folks...since hbo or showtime is silent and the boxing mags dont write monthly why reform is needed and if a dan r and a few others are the only ones that cry out boxing will see more BS from the commisions..
if one commision and its head is still a major influence after being exposed in taking bribes from arum and several other promoters to rank a fighter and sanction a title fight that tells me a huge disaster has to occur first before anything is done.
its gonna get worse..and hbo and showtime will go along..soo will the fighters promoters etc etc..all will go along except for the true boxing fans..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:10 pm

First off kudos for responding Mr. Greenberg. But the idea that HBO doesn't talk about sanctioning bodies is simply wrong. Ring Magazine ain't perfect and it is actually the editors who come up with them after consultation with the advisory board.

It ain't perfect, but there aren't the kinds of structural conflicts that the sanctioning bodies live by either.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:19 pm

such a joke. If you can't tell the difference between corrupt bodies getting big fees versus a respected magazine then you are a moron. good old execs. I think even owners of other boxing magazines that compete with Ring would acknowledge that using the Ring Rankings would be a huge improvement over recognizing trinket holders.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Nobody asking HBO to clean up boxing. But if HBO wants to consider themselves the Home of Boxing, it is their duty to accuratly show who the best fighters and who the real champions are.

ESPN, which is bigger then HBO, only recognizes The Ring.

I dunno what Greenberg's problem is.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Ross Greenburg
What exactly does HBO acknowledge then? They admittedly don't use any of the popular and established organizations to rank fighters. Do they have some sort of internal ranking system? Do they just get one guy first and tell that promoter to set up a fight?

To the bold: unfortunately I think I do.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 pm

WOW. Grant! Whats up. Man I see poster who I haven't seen in forever over here. Good to see some old names again.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 am

Gumby wrote:What exactly does HBO acknowledge then? They admittedly don't use any of the popular and established organizations to rank fighters. Do they have some sort of internal ranking system? Do they just get one guy first and tell that promoter to set up a fight?

To the bold: unfortunately I think I do.

Excellent point Gumby. If they don't go by ABC belts, or The Ring. Then what the fuck do they go by?

Every respectable rankings, whether from USA Today, Yahoo, Fat Dan, all use The Ring as their basis. They just might change the order a little. I know for a fact, none of them go through every fighter in the divisions and rank them.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 am

jblue wrote:WOW. Grant! Whats up. Man I see poster who I haven't seen in forever over here. Good to see some old names again.

Hey, how's it going. Glad to see you here. I was in exile for a while after got IP banned several times by ESPN. Ali found me.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:First off kudos for responding Mr. Greenberg. But the idea that HBO doesn't talk about sanctioning bodies is simply wrong. Ring Magazine ain't perfect and it is actually the editors who come up with them after consultation with the advisory board.

It ain't perfect, but there aren't the kinds of structural conflicts that the sanctioning bodies live by either.
Yup got to give him props for even responding to us fans, but his reponse was kinda BS! they always recognize ABC straps and even promoters have come out and said HBO wants fights to be for belts so the fights could be more appealing to the audience (to act like the fight is some what of importance). Even though the Ring Magazine may seem the most legit in term belts and ratings, theyre a bit similar to the ABC straps. They may not take bribes for rankings or extort money from fighters for the belts, but they are a business. HBO promoting the Ring Belt would be a sort of advertising the Magainze for free if you know what I mean. advertising = money.

Tecate pays to be on the canvas after all.... just saying.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:15 am

Diego408 wrote: Even though the Ring Magazine may seem the most legit in term belts and ratings, theyre a bit similar to the ABC straps. They may not take bribes for rankings or extort money from fighters for the belts, but they are a business. HBO promoting the Ring Belt would be a sort of advertising the Magainze for free if you know what I mean. advertising = money.

No different then networks using USA today rankings. Free advertising, right? The Ring is one that started ranking fighters, so I'd say they have a claim to it.

I'll take them simplely wanting to get their name out, then charging fighters sanctioning fees, ect. You know? Better then corrupt ABC belts getting free network advertising by being recognized
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:25 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Diego408 wrote: Even though the Ring Magazine may seem the most legit in term belts and ratings, theyre a bit similar to the ABC straps. They may not take bribes for rankings or extort money from fighters for the belts, but they are a business. HBO promoting the Ring Belt would be a sort of advertising the Magainze for free if you know what I mean. advertising = money.

No different then networks using USA today rankings. Free advertising, right? The Ring is one that started ranking fighters, so I'd say they have a claim to it.

I'll take them simplely wanting to get their name out, then charging fighters sanctioning fees, ect. You know? Better then corrupt ABC belts getting free network advertising by being recognized
I know and I get that. I dont like the ABC straps just like everyone else on this board and I accept the Ring is the closest to being legit, but they arent sayers of much these days. Theres nothing running the show in boxing. Boxing has no commision (not talking about the state commisions), no ultimate orgainization or one dictator/president. Boxing is kinda like a wild horse that no one can taim. The sport is too unorganized and with so much confusion now a days, the casual fans wont tell the difference from a Ring title to an interm WBA strap.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:47 am

That's the network fault. Not HBO or Showtime's job to clean up boxing. It is there job to accuratly represent to fans and subscribers who the top fighters are and who the real Champs are.

Imagine if Showtime, and HBO just used The Ring ranking and belts like ESPN does. That'd be three biggest players in boxing on the same page.

Pretty soon fans would know who the real Champs are. No different then UFC. People pretty much recognize UFC Champ as the Champ in MMA.

Real championship fights would become big events again because people would know who the Champs are and they'd mean something. Now, because the networks recognize these trinks, practicaly every fight is a title fight.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:47 am

Once again, where do you draw the line of legitimacy? How can any one ranking organization claim to be better than any other? They ALL have a history of scandals that have included bribery & record fixing etc., etc. So for The Ring to want to be the most respected, they have to pick up the pace & promote themselves as such. Right now as far as the casual fan is concerned, The Ring is simply a Boxing Magazine that reports about the sport. I know many of you consider The Ring the most fair & knowledgeable of the ranking Org.'s, but they have no right to claim anything beyond that. Also it doesn't help that the mag is owned by a promoter. The problem is that whenever one of the ABC's breaks the law, they get a slap on the wrist & they're back in business the next day. If I had my druthers, whenever they are caught taking payola or fixing a fighter's record, they should be discontinued. Fuck 'em I say. Let 'em go right out of business.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:03 am

Look, I'm just going by reality of the situation. Right now, the best us fans can push for is having major networks that cover boxing getting on same page as far as who best fighters are and who the real champions are.

Best option right now is only recognizing The Ring.

Yeah, it'd be great if there was only one ruling body. But not going to happen. Boxing become too global. Say US creates a single over-ruling body, do think UK fighters give a fuck about the US belt? Or Latin fighters who the WBC caters too? Or East Euro fighters who the WBA caters too?

People like to bring up how back in the day there was one belt. Not true. There were multi belts. You had the British Belt, Canadain belt, ect. But they were not recognized. Now, these networks recognize every fucking belt.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:06 am

GrantZilla wrote:Look, I'm just going by reality of the situation. Right now, the best us fans can push for is having major networks that cover boxing getting on same page as far as who best fighters are and who the real champions are.

Best option right now is only recognizing The Ring.

Yeah, it'd be great if there was only one ruling body. But not going to happen. Boxing become too global. Say US creates a single over-ruling body, do think UK fighters give a fuck about the US belt? Or Latin fighters who the WBC caters too? Or East Euro fighters who the WBA caters too?

People like to bring up how back in the day there was one belt. Not true. There were multi belts. You had the British Belt, Canadain belt, ect. But they were not recognized. Now, these networks recognize every fucking belt.

True dat!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next