The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Donaire loses to Montiel...

+2
hardcorebee24
dbudge
6 posters

Go down

If Donaire loses to Montiel... Empty If Donaire loses to Montiel...

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:08 pm

... how does this affect his situation with regards to marketability??? will everybody say that he was over-hyped and has been exposed or what? it seems people find it hard to acknowledge Nonito's talents and if he loses this fight it opens up the doors for the "EXPOSED!!!" preachers which i think could be somewhat unfair considering how big this fight really is. i also hope that this fight is promoted the shit out of like it deserves to be. these are 2 extremely talented guys, the best in their division and a fight i'm extremely excited about. It deserves better than to be ignored by the masses. i really don't know who to pick at this point either and i hope the fight is as close as i'm expecting. This is exactly the type of fight the casual fans need to be treated to, i pray to God that it doesn't fail to deliver

dbudge

Back to top Go down

If Donaire loses to Montiel... Empty Re: If Donaire loses to Montiel...

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:21 pm

dbudge wrote:... how does this affect his situation with regards to marketability??? will everybody say that he was over-hyped and has been exposed or what? it seems people find it hard to acknowledge Nonito's talents and if he loses this fight it opens up the doors for the "EXPOSED!!!" preachers which i think could be somewhat unfair considering how big this fight really is. i also hope that this fight is promoted the shit out of like it deserves to be. these are 2 extremely talented guys, the best in their division and a fight i'm extremely excited about. It deserves better than to be ignored by the masses. i really don't know who to pick at this point either and i hope the fight is as close as i'm expecting. This is exactly the type of fight the casual fans need to be treated to, i pray to God that it doesn't fail to deliver

Depends I guess on how he loses. Montiel was looking vulnerable against Hasagawa before he dropped the bomb so I think if Donaire gets caught then so be it. If he's systematically dismantled, beaten to the punch and can't get off, then sure he's exposed that he can't beat Montiel. I doubt either happens as I have Donaire being faster to the punch and creating angles and using his feet to score a close Dec over Montiel.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:25 pm

He'll be considered a one hit wonder if it isnt close
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:26 pm

yeh i think Donaire is going to win as well. I think he will prve to be too slick for Montiel. His ring generalship will prevail along with his speed, timing and angles. he fights well on the backfoot as well as the front foot. but as you said, Montiel can change it all with a punch and is no slouch himself. i hope it lives upto expectations!!!

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Why must they be "exposed" when they lose to a better fighter or a guy that has a better night?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Why must they be "exposed" when they lose to a better fighter or a guy that has a better night?

Its the Exposed Era of boxing
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:56 pm

It will hurt his current stock and depending on what he does with his career (and what Montiel does), his legacy. He won't be exposed or anything like that, but he'll lose his p4p spot and any claim that he was the best in every division throughout his career. It'll put a chip on his shoulder, what he does with it is on him.

Great fighters are supposed to overcome challenges though. At the very least he'll have to split with Montiel.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:31 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Why must they be "exposed" when they lose to a better fighter or a guy that has a better night?

this is what i'm saying. people are way too quick to label fighters as exposed because of a loss and after such they lose a lot of marketability value. it's a sad fact of modern boxing

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:09 pm

dbudge wrote:

this is what i'm saying. people are way too quick to label fighters as exposed because of a loss and after such they lose a lot of marketability value. it's a sad fact of modern boxing
Well, I guess the biggest problem is that they're not fighting enough quality opponents on the way up to actually find out how good they really are. A guy has to go 35-0 before anybody will notice him. A guy that's 27-3 is written off already. Fuckin' sad.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
Well, I guess the biggest problem is that they're not fighting enough quality opponents on the way up to actually find out how good they really are. A guy has to go 35-0 before anybody will notice him. A guy that's 27-3 is written off already. Fuckin' sad.

Fans arent dumb

Pac, Wlad, JMM, Mosley, DLH, Gatti, etc, etc have multiple losses and fans still want to see them

NOBODY is on Berto's jock for his undefeated record.

If they are promoted/brought along that way, then of course fans are going to rip them as soon as they falter when they step up

Look at Deontay Wilder and Demetrius Andrade, all this amateur success and having them face the worst opponents possible
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:

Fans arent dumb

Pac, Wlad, JMM, Mosley, DLH, Gatti, etc, etc have multiple losses and fans still want to see them

NOBODY is on Berto's jock for his undefeated record.

If they are promoted/brought along that way, then of course fans are going to rip them as soon as they falter when they step up

Look at Deontay Wilder and Demetrius Andrade, all this amateur success and having them face the worst opponents possible
Real fans aren't dumb, but casual fans can be snowed easily, especially by the scumbag promoters that build up records yet claim how good these guys are. We need a better ranking system.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:59 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
Real fans aren't dumb, but casual fans can be snowed easily, especially by the scumbag promoters that build up records yet claim how good these guys are. We need a better ranking system.

+1

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Montiel in my opinion is a world class little guy who should be in the P4P top ten, losing to him shouldn't be anything to be ashamed of.

I do believe Donaire is as talented as they say, however he's squandered alot the momentum from that Darchinyan knockout.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Ali wrote:Montiel in my opinion is a world class little guy who should be in the P4P top ten, losing to him shouldn't be anything to be ashamed of.

I do believe Donaire is as talented as they say, however he's squandered alot the momentum from that Darchinyan knockout.

I'm not sure who I'd pick(looks like a true pick em fight to me). I've seen both fight at least 5 times and both are very skilled elite fighters in the sport. Before I pick that fight I think I have to try to do a Freddie Roach/Nazeem Richardson impersonation and watch a few fights looking for an exploitable technical flaw.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 pm

flapanther2001 wrote: We need a better ranking system.

To do that we need the best to fight the best. We need for upcoming fighters to take risks. Both those things can jeopardize a fighters financial future so they don't happen. Say what you want about Donaire, win or lose, I respect him for this fight and will be a bigger fan of his when it's all said and done.

Unless he refuses to engage or makes an embarrassing show of himself a la Chad Dawson.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum