The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Pettis vs. Clay Guida soon?

2 posters

Go down

Anthony Pettis vs. Clay Guida soon? Empty Anthony Pettis vs. Clay Guida soon?

Post  freakzilla Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:15 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=6011070

Rather than wait around for a winner in the yet-to-be-scheduled third installment of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard, UFC is working toward putting WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis in the cage against Clay Guida, sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.

Negotiations are in the preliminary stages and no date is set, but it appears the promotion has targeted UFC 130 or UFC 131 for Pettis vs. Guida.

Those cards are tentatively scheduled to take place in May and June, respectively.

Pettis planned to be fighting for the UFC title when he made his debut with that promotion sometime this year. However, those plans were scratched when Edgar, the UFC 155-pound champion, and top contender Maynard fought to a draw on Jan. 1.

As result of that outcome, Pettis had to make a decision -- wait for the UFC lightweight championship matter to be resolved or take on an opponent in the interim.

With no date set for Edgar-Maynard III, Pettis told ESPN.com recently he would allow his handlers to decide his next move.

"That's up to my agent and my coach," said Pettis, who has a professional record of 13-1-0. "I'm the fighter; I'm the race car, so whatever they say I'll go with it."

Guida (28-11-0) is currently riding a three-fight win streak. An action-packed fighter, he looked impressive during his most recent victory, a first-round submission of highly respected Takanori Gomi at UFC 125 on Jan. 1.

Pettis, who will turn 24 later this month, defeated Benson Henson in December by unanimous decision to claim the WEC lightweight title.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Anthony Pettis vs. Clay Guida soon? Empty Re: Anthony Pettis vs. Clay Guida soon?

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:27 pm

As soon as I read that Pettis wasn't waiting for a shot Clay Guida popped into my mind straight away.

Back to top Go down

Anthony Pettis vs. Clay Guida soon? Empty Re: Anthony Pettis vs. Clay Guida soon?

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:22 pm

That is why I like Guida,the guy loves to fight and looks like a troglodyte.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Perfect welcome to the UFC for Pettis too. If he's any good, Guida's a great measuring stick.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Gumby wrote:Perfect welcome to the UFC for Pettis too. If he's any good, Guida's a great measuring stick.

+1
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:42 am

Where does this leave KenFlo ?? a Sherk rematch would make sense.

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:36 am

I would love to see that. Florian needs to improve his wrestling defense.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down