The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing Needs More SUPERSTARS in 2011 : Not Just Manny Pacquiao

3 posters

Go down

Boxing Needs More SUPERSTARS in 2011 : Not Just Manny Pacquiao Empty Boxing Needs More SUPERSTARS in 2011 : Not Just Manny Pacquiao

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:33 am

As much as I like writing about, raving about, and praising Manny Pacquiao, it’s time for a change within the sport in 2011. If I were Boxing and I made a new years resolution, it would be to hope for more stars on the level of Manny Pacquiao. boxing is in dire straits when it comes to true SUPER stars. Other sports have plenty of All Stars or Superstars that we have all come to know and appreciate. boxing needs more than just Manny Pacquiao in 2011.

Boxing used to be booming with Superstar talent. Remember the days when Oscar De la Hoya reigned supreme? This was a time when everyone was still in their prime or at least entertaining. Shane Mosley, Vernon Forrest, Fernando Vargas, Felix Trinidad, Micky Ward, Arturo Gatti, Pernell Whitaker, Hector Camacho, Jorge Paez Jr, Prince Naseem, Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins..James Toney etc. Perhaps these guys aren’t all super stars, but they dazzled the sport of boxing with style, heart, boxing ability,etc. The 90′s and 80′s were awesome for boxing. There was something about the sport that made it more exciting. Perhaps it was great as well because fighters weren’t afraid of challenging each other. The pageantry, the pre-fight buildups, the hype,the stories all seemed more interesting in the last 20 -30 yrs.

We have to find more fighters who add more than just talent to the sport. We can’t just have Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather being the most “read” about on the internet or the most Googled in boxing. We need better stories, better marketing, less predictability and more competition with fights. We need something to add more excitement to the sport.

We need another Ward/Gatti or Vasquez/Marquez Trilogy mixed with some Apollo Creed outfits and trash talking:) We need more Grim Reaper Bernard Hopkins outfits with some Roy Jones Jr dancing. Someone please bring the goods. Or maybe just stop ducking each other and fight like true gladiators.

http://myboxing.com/2011/01/01/boxing-needs-more-superstars-in-2011-not-just-manny-pacquiao/
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Boxing Needs More SUPERSTARS in 2011 : Not Just Manny Pacquiao Empty Re: Boxing Needs More SUPERSTARS in 2011 : Not Just Manny Pacquiao

Post  kbyte Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:52 am

If only Mayorga had the talent to go along with his antics. He'd be a superstar.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Boxing Needs More SUPERSTARS in 2011 : Not Just Manny Pacquiao Empty Re: Boxing Needs More SUPERSTARS in 2011 : Not Just Manny Pacquiao

Post  Guest Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:39 am

i agree with the article.boxing has a few superstars in the wings..alvarez and kahn are almost there.the bradley-alexander winner also.THE k brothers are super stars in europe adamek a semi star both here and abroad.haye in england and pavik was to a certain degree and sergio is approaching that..there are a few other fighters and the semi retired super star in floyd..
boxing has several super to semi super stars already..the problem is there big stars ONLY amoung hardcore fans worldwide.
manny and floyd are the only 2 that cross over big time to the casual fans the celebrites and the general public.there the tyson ali oscar louis marciano of this era yes..but those fighters had a good supporting cast of several fighters who caught the attention of the general public also.not as big of course but none the less attracted the interest of the public...floyd and manny have NO supporting cast.not one fighter that can draw any interest in the publics view..
untill we have one champ per division which would help and fighters fighting 5 times a year the supporting cast will remain ZERO like it is now..
you have to be seen and talked about in order to get the publics attention.and fighting is the only way.there maybe only ONE person in the world and thats a maybe who can name the 75-80 plus boxing champs either the real ones the strap holders the inter the guy in recess the super and diamond belt nonsence..untill the muti cracker box titles go away that roadblock will be there stoping a good supporting cast..several household names are needed for boxing to progress..
example the general public casual fans hardcore football fans know who brady favre the 2 manning brothers are as well as brees hell even sam bradford..why.cause there seen regularly..now how many of the general public can name a dozen backup quaterbacks..get the picture..
take manny and floyd out of the picture and boxing has 500 back up quaterbacks.that HAS to change..

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Meh. In the 90s they were saying it was better in the 80s and in the 80s they were saying it was better in the 70s.

Let me take a shot at the article:

As much as I like writing about, raving about, and praising Jose Benavidez, it’s time for a change within the sport in 2021. If I were Boxing and I made a new years resolution, it would be to hope for more stars on the level of Jose Benavidez. boxing is in dire straits when it comes to true SUPER stars. Other sports have plenty of All Stars or Superstars that we have all come to know and appreciate. boxing needs more than just Jose Benavidez in 2021.

Boxing used to be booming with Superstar talent. Remember the days when Manny Pacquiao reigned supreme? This was a time when everyone was still in their prime or at least entertaining. Floyd Mayweather Jr., Amir Khan, Andre Ward, Juan Manuel Marquez, Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo, Marco Antonio Barrera, Sergio Martinez, Eric Morales, Nonito Donaire, the Klitschkos, David Haye, Bernard Hopkins..Joe Calzaghe etc. Perhaps these guys aren’t all super stars, but they dazzled the sport of boxing with style, heart, boxing ability,etc. The 00′s and 10′s were awesome for boxing. There was something about the sport that made it more exciting. Perhaps it was great as well because fighters weren’t afraid of challenging each other. The pageantry, the pre-fight buildups, the hype,the stories all seemed more interesting in the last 20 -30 yrs.

We have to find more fighters who add more than just talent to the sport. We can’t just have Jose Benavidez and Amir Khan being the most “read” about on the internet or the most Googled in boxing. We need better stories, better marketing, less predictability and more competition with fights. We need something to add more excitement to the sport.

We need another Corrales/Castillo or Ward/Bute Trilogy mixed with some Apollo Creed outfits and trash talking:) We need more Grim Reaper Bernard Hopkins outfits with some Manny Pacquiao singing. Someone please bring the goods. Or maybe just stop ducking each other and fight like true gladiators.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Gumby, that was awsome and so true. The part I do agree with is, boxing only got two cross-over stars, Manny and Floyd, as of right now.

Us hardcore fans know there are good fighters right now and good fights to be made. PRoblem is, nobody watches them except us hardcore fans. Which is fine, but doesn't realy grow the sport either.

It's sad to think Bradley-Alexander fight won't register outside us hardcore fans.

For that, I realy do blame promoters and HBO. They both do jack s hit to advertise fights that are not PPV. I know so many people that don't know when these fights are on. Like one guy was mad because he didn't know Martinez was fighting Williams again.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down