The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Segura returns 11/27, Calderon rematch eyed for Spring?

3 posters

Go down

Segura returns 11/27, Calderon rematch eyed for Spring? Empty Segura returns 11/27, Calderon rematch eyed for Spring?

Post  gomez1012 Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:20 pm

http://twitter.com/stevemaxboxing/status/28817870068

Told that Gionanni Segura will fight again in Nov 27th in Mexico and then rematch with Ivan Calderon on April 23rd of next year
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Segura returns 11/27, Calderon rematch eyed for Spring? Empty Re: Segura returns 11/27, Calderon rematch eyed for Spring?

Post  captainanddew Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm

I don't see how the result will be any different. Calderon is past his prime and he was worn down throughout the fight. Unless he can discover the fountain of youth, he is in deep trouble again in a rematch.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Segura returns 11/27, Calderon rematch eyed for Spring? Empty Re: Segura returns 11/27, Calderon rematch eyed for Spring?

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:14 pm

i see the fight a re run if segura fights with the same hunger and conditioning.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:24 pm

captainanddew wrote:I don't see how the result will be any different. Calderon is past his prime and he was worn down throughout the fight. Unless he can discover the fountain of youth, he is in deep trouble again in a rematch.
+1
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:27 pm

The fight will be shorter. Legs just don't get younger. Iron Boy didn't stand and fight because he wanted to. he stood and traded because his legs gave him no other choice.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:32 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:The fight will be shorter. Legs just don't get younger. Iron Boy didn't stand and fight because he wanted to. he stood and traded because his legs gave him no other choice.

So true. He didn't have the wheels to box and move against the young buck.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Calderon should just retired he unlike many rican fighters has actually invested his money well buying restaurants and barbershops or beauty salons (not sure which) he also does the commentary for local fights and his trainer jose "che che" sanchez (paul williams and dlh love this dude when they've trained in p.r at the wilfredo gomez gym) who is probably one of the best trainers in p.r has taught calderon tons so he could even start training other kids. i just don't see him beating segura at this stage
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Rum Capital wrote:Calderon should just retired he unlike many rican fighters has actually invested his money well buying restaurants and barbershops or beauty salons (not sure which) he also does the commentary for local fights and his trainer jose "che che" sanchez (paul williams and dlh love this dude when they've trained in p.r at the wilfredo gomez gym) who is probably one of the best trainers in p.r has taught calderon tons so he could even start training other kids. i just don't see him beating segura at this stage

It wasn't as if Calderon just looked flat that night. If you watch his last few fights his body hasn't looked as good (easier for guys to hit).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Rum Capital wrote:Calderon should just retired he unlike many rican fighters has actually invested his money well buying restaurants and barbershops or beauty salons (not sure which) he also does the commentary for local fights and his trainer jose "che che" sanchez (paul williams and dlh love this dude when they've trained in p.r at the wilfredo gomez gym) who is probably one of the best trainers in p.r has taught calderon tons so he could even start training other kids. i just don't see him beating segura at this stage

As I get older the adage "fighters fight" just seems more and more true. There is something in these guys that just doesn't want to give up the stage.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:53 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

As I get older the adage "fighters fight" just seems more and more true. There is something in these guys that just doesn't want to give up the stage.

Fighters especially don't want to go out like that. Calderon had a great run. He probably thinks he can win a rematch.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:54 pm

captainanddew wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Fighters especially don't want to go out like that. Calderon had a great run. He probably thinks he can win a rematch.

Were you the guy last week calling fighters "delusional" in how they see a fight they are in ?

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:05 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Were you the guy last week calling fighters "delusional" in how they see a fight they are in ?

Yes.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 pm

captainanddew wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Yes.

Those two thoughts have got to be related,

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:07 pm

I think I called fighter's delusional(I backed off of that term) in the context of being able to understand where they are in a fight (in terms of score after 2/3 of a fight).

The problem with a fighter is there is alot of rounds that reasonable people can differ (pure swing rounds where a bunch of us would argue about who won the round). There is also alot of rounds that are competitive (where around 80-90% would agree that fighter A won the round but it wasn't a landslide round by any means).

FIGHTERS ARE GOING TO GIVE THEMSELVES CREDIT IN ANY ROUND THAT IS REASONABLY CLOSE. They need to. They need to believe they are doing a little better than they actually are. Can't blame them for giving themselves the benefit of the doubt (if they don't then who will!!!!). The corner needs to understand where the fight is at and urge fighters on alot earlier in fights than they do. Around round 8 of a 10 round fight is too late to urge a guy to up the pressure.

As for Calderon, he could do something special with a win in the rematch. I can't fault him for wanting a rematch. It holds many validating reasons (no particular order): 1-big payday, 2-opportunity for redemption, 3-a chance to go out on his own terms (win or lose).

It is hard for Calderon to be objective. Human beings aren't objective when evaluating ourselves. We are inherently biased. We overestimate our strengths, underestimate our weaknesses. We look for the good in ourselves and try to ignore the bad. At home he probably ran through everything he did wrong in training camp and the fight. Was he a little heavier heading into camp? Did he not train like he normally did? Did he deviate from the gameplan too much? Was he just a little off that night? Fighters fight and they are like the rest of us. We rationalize away our failures and look for reasons that we can succeed the next time.

While we think the result will be the same the second time as he isn't going to get younger, maybe, just maybe, he is special enough to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

Yeah, I'm tired and rambling. Hopefully somewhat coherent. Watching continuing legal education courses online in advance of an impending deadline to have my hours completed is making my brain mush.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 pm

captainanddew wrote:I think I called fighter's delusional(I backed off of that term) in the context of being able to understand where they are in a fight (in terms of score after 2/3 of a fight).

The problem with a fighter is there is alot of rounds that reasonable people can differ (pure swing rounds where a bunch of us would argue about who won the round). There is also alot of rounds that are competitive (where around 80-90% would agree that fighter A won the round but it wasn't a landslide round by any means).

FIGHTERS ARE GOING TO GIVE THEMSELVES CREDIT IN ANY ROUND THAT IS REASONABLY CLOSE. They need to. They need to believe they are doing a little better than they actually are. Can't blame them for giving themselves the benefit of the doubt (if they don't then who will!!!!). The corner needs to understand where the fight is at and urge fighters on alot earlier in fights than they do. Around round 8 of a 10 round fight is too late to urge a guy to up the pressure.

As for Calderon, he could do something special with a win in the rematch. I can't fault him for wanting a rematch. It holds many validating reasons (no particular order): 1-big payday, 2-opportunity for redemption, 3-a chance to go out on his own terms (win or lose).

It is hard for Calderon to be objective. Human beings aren't objective when evaluating ourselves. We are inherently biased. We overestimate our strengths, underestimate our weaknesses. We look for the good in ourselves and try to ignore the bad. At home he probably ran through everything he did wrong in training camp and the fight. Was he a little heavier heading into camp? Did he not train like he normally did? Did he deviate from the gameplan too much? Was he just a little off that night? Fighters fight and they are like the rest of us. We rationalize away our failures and look for reasons that we can succeed the next time.

While we think the result will be the same the second time as he isn't going to get younger, maybe, just maybe, he is special enough to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

Yeah, I'm tired and rambling. Hopefully somewhat coherent. Watching continuing legal education courses online in advance of an impending deadline to have my hours completed is making my brain mush.

That's actually one hell of a post. Of course you denigrating it demonstrates that the opposite of the bold is also often true. Wink

BTW I would have thought that continuing ed for an attorney would have consisted of four dictums:

1. If the law is on your side, argue the law
2. If the facts are on your side, argue the facts
3. If neither is true, pound the table
4. Always bill excessively

[gutlessly runs away]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:33 pm

lol marble number 4 is a absolute..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:36 pm

dmar5143 wrote:lol marble number 4 is a absolute..

As a former investment banker I have some nerve complaining about attorney's Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:38 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:lol marble number 4 is a absolute..

As a former investment banker I have some nerve complaining about attorney's Wink

lol. I complain about them everyday. I find that I'm too honest and humble for this profession.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:41 pm

captain there are some honest lawyers as shocking as it may seem to the public..my brother is one.a retired well respected criminal lawyer..dont give up the faith.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:42 pm

dmar5143 wrote:captain there are some honest lawyers as shocking as it may seem to the public..my brother is one.a retired well respected criminal lawyer..dont give up the faith.

It's true. 95% give the other 5% a bad name.

[gutlessly returns to running away]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down