MY ALL TIME 25 FAVORITE FIGHTERS.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MY ALL TIME 25 FAVORITE FIGHTERS.

Post  dmar5143 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:15 pm

guys lets liven this joint up.ive been a boxing fan now some 62 years and a fan of many fighters and a fan who admire some in the ring for there talent but hated them as a fighter.heres a list of my all time favorites.a few are not amoung the greats but none the less a top favorite of mine.several fighters that i liked a ton didnt make the final 25.most ive seen live but some were before my time.here goes.1.rocky marciano.2.willie pep 3.harry greb4.sugar ray robinson5.
joey giardello6.carmen basilio7.joe louis 8. mickey walker 9.carlos monzon 10.henry armstrong.11. bob foster 12.jack dempsey 13.kid gavilyn 14.barney ross 15.roberto duran 16.alexis arguello.17.ray mancini 18.wille pastrano 19.hector camacho 20.george chuvalo 21.billy conn 22.lou ambers 23.sergio martinez 24.manny pac 25.marcel cerdan.
i know i got some of you or most of you by 40 plus years but surely you got favorites that are dear to you..
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Re: MY ALL TIME 25 FAVORITE FIGHTERS.

Post  dmar5143 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 pm

while im at it my favorites of today outside sergio and pac are.donaire mares LM rios paulie m kahn ..fighters im a fan of but not a favorite are ward carl f glovikin alvarez mickey garcia ...a few i dislike are floyd bo-hop broner haye bradley marquez abraham ..the rest are in a neutral zone more or less.
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:50 am

since im younger i dont have a long list. my 2 favorite fighters so far are de la hoya (as a fighter, not necessarily as a promoter) and morales. they were both warriors in the ring and fought everybody. i also like a few people before my time like foreman, ali, hearns, ike williams, tommy laughran, greb, pep. they are people that i just really like their styles from what ive seen and liked different things ive heard about them.

my favorite fighters now are probably mares, marquez, and im starting to like broner although most people hate him. i think that he is pretty funny.
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 am

My favourites right now, and of all time I think, are:

1) Bam Bam Rios-How can anyone not like this guy? Hes nothing but come forward and slug until the other guy falls down. Constantly in wars and loves to fight.

2) Erik Morales-Such a friggin warrior. I love his fights with Pacquiao. The look on his face when he beat Pacman was great. He just looked like it was no big deal when the decision was announced lol. His effort against Maidana was great too.

3) Chino Maidana-Another warrior who just wants to slug and knock the other guy out. Had epic fights with Khan, Morales and Soto Karass.

4) Oscar De la Hoya-The golden boy just really like his style and made me a boxing fan when he knocked Mayorga the fugg out.

5) Margarito-Controversial pick. His heart and toughness are just insane. The beating he took from Pacman was hellacious and even when he got knocked out by Mosley all I could think about was how ridiculously tough he was. His war with Cotto was an amazing fight.

6) Wlad Klitshcko-Awesome fighter. His fights are pretty much boring all the time really lol but I just really like the guy. I love that hes the heavyweight champion and has a phd and he just seems like one of the nicest guys you could meet.

7) Donaire-Classy individual. I can't help but root for him. Seems like a very intelligent fighter.

8) Ricky Hatton-I don't know why I like him but hes one of the guys that helped get me into boxing. I like his rough and dirty fighting style lol

9) Duran-I like watching his old fights, especially the Davey Moore fight and the Barkley fight. Such an awesome fighter.

10) Paulie Malignaggi-I really like this guy. Seems like a nice guy and had some good fights despite his lack of power.

11) Froch-I didn't really like him at first but god damn it he earned my respect. Tough warrior who will fight anyone. He ate some vicious looking body shots from Kessler in their fight as far as I can remember. Really tough.

12) Iron Mike Tyson-A nut job and killer fighter. I love it lol.

13) Ali-Had maybe my favourite fight against Frazier the first time out. So epic and he was such a great fighter.

14) Mayorga-Gets knocked out like a pro and has hilarious trash talk lol

The order maybe could be changed around but thats how I feel right now and I don't think I've forgotten anyone. Mostly current or recent fighters but since I only started watching boxing 8 years ago thats to be expected. They're the guys I grew up watching I suppose. Theres other guys I like but these are the ones that came to mind immediately.

Some guys I don't like are:

1) Joe Calzaghe-I don't like him at all. Just irritates me. Froch may have fought better overall competition than him in just the last few years alone and he gets called the best super middle of all time. I guess hes a hall of famer but only barely in my opinion.

2) Jones-This is a weird one. I like Roy as a person. I like him a lot actually, but as a fighter I'm not too fond of him. He is a great fighter but his competition is so bad for the most part. He looks like superman against absolute bums. He fought Vinny Pazienza at super middleweight....what? Wasn't Pazienza a lightweight? Good lord.

5) Joshua Clottey-What a lame style and did his best to lose against Cotto and Pacquiao. Come on man.

6) Golota-What a bum. Good job with the low blows you dummy. You got knocked out good against Lewis and good quit job against Tyson after two rounds you no heart loser. Ok sorry I had to say that lol.

7) Bumdre Berto-Just a horrible fighter and a really dumb one too. Has the most idiotic style of fighting. I wasn't surprised he got mugged by Guerrero because at least Guerrero can fight. Oh and he would have got knocked the fuck out by Mosley if that fight had gone ahead and he was very lucky that the fight with Zaveck was stopped. Fool probably would have got knocked out or beaten down with all the shots he was stupidly taking on the inside. He just holds behind the other fighter's head and allows himself to get peppered with uppercuts and body shots. What an idiot. The only thing hes good for is adding swish sound effects to his punches to make them seem more flashy lol.

8) Allan Green-His excuses after losing to Glen Johnson were really annoying. Just accept the loss you idiot. You have no chin.

9) Broner-He seems like a fake. Get your own identity and stop stealing Floyd Mayweather's. Hes ok though and don't hate him that much I guess. He needs to stop rapping on the way to the ring though. That was awful. It was more just him making noise.
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:50 am

I could've gone to 100. After Duran, you could actually put these guys in any order. These were just the names that popped in my head.

1. Muhammad Ali

2. Sugar Ray Leonard

3. Aaron Pryor

4. George Foreman :Dmar, I like you at least as much as anyone on here. It's been an absolute privilege to read your boxing articles and I've learned a great deal from them. However if the Rock ever fought Foreman, his (Rock's) head would've never been recovered. (Note: Dmar, if you'd like to discredit my opinion, there's no need to even talk about Rocky and Foreman. Just go to the NFL section. I was wrong about every fucking thing.) LOL

5. Manny Pacquiao

6. Roberto Duran

7. Pernell Whitaker

8. Alexis Arguello

9. Matthew Saad Muhammad

10. Floyd Patterson

11. Salvador Sanchez

12. Ruben Olivares

13. Wilfred Benitez

14. George Chuvalo

15. Mike Weaver

16. Carlos Monzon

17. Wilfredo Gomez

18. Leon Spinks (Gotta Love em.)

19. Michael Spinks

20. Tommy Hearns

21. Jack Johnson

22. Jerry Quarry

23. James Toney

24. Prince Nasim Hamed

25. Rocky Marciano

Last edited by Frank on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:06 am; edited 3 times in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:55 am

powerpuncher[b] wrote:since im younger i dont have a long list.[/b] my 2 favorite fighters so far are de la hoya (as a fighter, not necessarily as a promoter) and morales. they were both warriors in the ring and fought everybody. i also like a few people before my time like foreman, ali, hearns, ike williams, tommy laughran, greb, pep. they are people that i just really like their styles from what ive seen and liked different things ive heard about them.

my favorite fighters now are probably mares, marquez, and im starting to like broner although most people hate him. i think that he is pretty funny.
This is just my opinion, but the most exciting thing about boxing today is getting on You Tube and looking at old champs. I think the sport basically sucks today. Not looking for a debate. This is just my call.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 am

kbyte nice list and excellent reasons why you hate some fighters..frank.. sanchez oliveras hearns jofre are a few of my all time favorites that did not make my final 25.im glad the first 3 mentioned above are on your list. sam langford is another fav of mine that didnt make the final cut.
your comments on you tube are on the money.its a great way for all of us to learn or brush up on boxing history providing we understand the era thoses guys fought in.thats important.
so id suggest if theres a lull in the month or lousy fights coming up go to youtube and watch great fights and fighters..talk about wars look at basilio -demarco fights.or when folks talk canelo is young please thats a phoney excuses.canzanerri pep bentiz were season vets at that age as well as champs a few years younger.REAL champs.
we have both suggest gil turner vs kid gavilyn as a fight to watch.maybe guys will understand what a complete fighter realy is.or the brass balls of the toy bulldog mickey walker.so many fights and fighters to enjoy that perfected the craft in every detail..it makes you appreciate every era and the pioneers that got the ball rolling.
another fav of mine tony galento was perhaps the most unskilled ranked fighter of all time but his tuffness knew no superior.a loveable character that fought by his rules meaning everything goes.
pryor vs arguello dam so many great fights to watch and enjoy.
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:05 pm

my favorites right now are:
1-Lucas Matthyse-love the machine as steve kim has dubbed him
2-Sergio Martinez- love his style, professionalism, and the left hand
3-Andre Ward- it isn't scintillating, but it is damn effective
4-Carl Froch-he isn't the best, but he is a good fighter, isn't in many boring fights, and at the end he gets the girl

captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:55 am

Frank wrote:
powerpuncher[b] wrote:since im younger i dont have a long list.[/b] my 2 favorite fighters so far are de la hoya (as a fighter, not necessarily as a promoter) and morales. they were both warriors in the ring and fought everybody. i also like a few people before my time like foreman, ali, hearns, ike williams, tommy laughran, greb, pep. they are people that i just really like their styles from what ive seen and liked different things ive heard about them.

This is just my opinion, but the most exciting thing about boxing today is getting on You Tube and looking at old champs. I think the sport basically sucks today. Not looking for a debate. This is just my call.

i know. i used to watch a lot more fights than i do now. i have definitely watched a lot of older fights but i have a lot more on youtube i need to watch.
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:56 am

captainanddew wrote:my favorites right now are:
1-Lucas Matthyse-love the machine as steve kim has dubbed him
2-Sergio Martinez- love his style, professionalism, and the left hand
3-Andre Ward- it isn't scintillating, but it is damn effective
4-Carl Froch-he isn't the best, but he is a good fighter, isn't in many boring fights, and at the end he gets the girl
i forgot about ward. he is one of my favorites too at the moment. most people find his fights boring but i love them.
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Nice selections on the board. Everyone has a different taste in fighters, but I notice that each list has guys that would fit into different catagories. Brawler, boxer, boxer-puncher, etc. I think greatness shows through. Here is my list.

1. Evander Holyfield. I think people forget just how AWESOME and scary he was in his prime. He scared the living shit out of Tyson. Literally made Tyson quiver and shake at the thought of fighting him. There was a reason for it too. Holyfield was fearless and indestructable. On his best night, he was capable of competing with any of the other greats on THIER best night.

2. Ricardo Lopez. This guy remains the most COMPLETE fighter I have ever seen. He could do it ALL. Jab and move, stalk and trade, move and punch. You name it, he could do it. He had world class skills, athletic ability to spare, a tremendous chin, and that intangible will to win that could not be discouraged or resisted. never forget his refusal to back out of the fight when Alvarez came in TWO WEIGHT CLASSES over the limit and THREE classes over the limit at fight night. imagine Floyd signing to fight at 154 and then finding out the other guy was 175 on fight night. Thats what it was and Lopez WANTED to fight Alvarez ssssooooo bad to avenge the draw and only blemish on his record. True definition of champion.

3. Marvin Hagler. Best middle to ever lace em up. The absolute best in the history of the absolute deepest division in boxing history. Take the top 50 middles ever, put em in a round robin, and Hagler comes out so far on the top that second place wouldnt even be visible.

4. Michael Spinks. Greatest ever at 175 and ruled the division at its deepest and most competitive era. The contenders he beat would have absolutely toyed with and destroyed guys like Hopkins and Jones. They were THAT good and Spinks was even better.

5. Pernell Whitaker. I hated this guy at first. But he became like watching an artist. It was AMAZING how nobody and I mean NOBODY could hit him or over-power him. He reminded me of Willie Pepp.

6. Speaking of Pepp, he belongs here on my list too. People who dont KNOW about his career would be amazed to learn how good he was AFTER a life and style-altering place crash and near death. They would not be able to fathom how much better he HAD been before the crash.

7. Thomas Hearns. As honest and sincere a champion as has ever been. Ducked and feared NOBODY, even those he SHOULD have feared. Absolute all-time champion of bravery.

8. Felix Trinidad. He catches a lot of flack, but they guy was an absolute BEAST at 147 and unbeatable at 154.

9. Tommy Morrison. hey, I LIKED to watch him fight.

10. James Toney.
11. Buddy McGirt
12. George Foreman
13. Carlos Monzon
14. Ray Leonard.
15. Ray Mancini
16. Azumah Nelson
17. Jeff Fenech
18. Bob Foster
19. Manny Pac We may never see anything like him again.
20. Larry Holmes
21. Orlin Norris. I enjoyed his cruiser career and foray into the heavy division.
22. Sumbu Kalambay. Underated champion at 160. Fluke loss to Nunn ruined his rep.
23. Oscar De La Hoya
24. Nigel Benn exciting fighter to watch all the time.
25. Roberto Duran-

I could go to 100.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:56 am

B.L yep some of us easily can go to 100 or more..morrison was a fav of mine also.i liked the way he handled himself after the fight in interviews especialy the humble classy way after the mercer loss.on pep i agree most dont realize how great he truly was.in his prime he litterly was unbeatable.something like 134-1-1 or so.the airplane crash broke his back and both his legs and doctors said forget about ever fighting again its doubtfull that you will ever walk again.he was offered a settlement of 500 000 in todays money 6 million tax free and turned it down.thats in a era where unlike today there were no mega overpaid fighters.
within a year pep was not only walking but fighting again and wining.thats true dedication to the sport.
hearns another favorite of mine that didnt make my final 25..a warrior who fought them all.such a great talent.
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am

I'll keep mine to boxers from 1987 onwards-

01. Kostya Tszyu
02. Jeff Fenech
03. Roy Jones Jr
04. Lennox Lewis
05. Mike Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm

My favorites:

Juan Manuel Marquez: always exciting.
Ricardo Lopez: a phenomenal fighter.
Andre Ward: very humble and always fights top fighters in every fight. He is probably the best fighter today.
Sergio Martinez: he's always fighting someone that's pretty darn good and he always goes for the KO. He risks a lot.
Donaire: knocked out the arrogant Darchinyan. And is just flat out dominant
Haggler: he's a mans fighter.
Hearns: I love watching his fights, he may of been one of the most exciting fighters of all time.
Sanchez: what could have been. Very exciting to watch
Jose Luis Castillo: biggest underachiever ever. He was so skilled, he just posses it all away. Had he had more discipline he would of been way better. He had a ton of skill.
Chavez Sr: I still wished he would have kicked Oscars ass.
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top