Boxing feats that are possible to break

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boxing feats that are possible to break

Post  powerpuncher on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:16 am

i was looking at some old sports records and realized that records are weird. rules are different, amount played is different, size is different, etc. boxing seems to be in a class of its own though when it comes to breaking records. for example, i find it very hard to believe that archie moore's KO record will ever be beaten. why? because he has more KO's than anybody these days even has fights. same as with harry greb with going 45-0 in one year. that is the amount of fights in a career for a lot of fighters now. i think that some things with boxing are just so different that certain records will never be broken.

i was trying to think of some great feats that fighters have accomplished which would be very hard to break but possible in this day and age.

joe louis title defenses and amount of time he held it. he had 25 defenses and held it for 12 years. its easier to do this now because of so many "title belts" but i think that it could be beaten someday legitimately. i think that it would most likely happen in the HW division though because boxers move weight classes so much in other divisions. if it werent for 2 klit brothers, i think that wlad would have all of the belts and could legitimately beat louis' record if he really tried. not because he is anywhere near great as louis, but because the competition is so weak. i think that 12 years would be harder than 25 defenses though because of age factoring in.

henry armstrong holding 3 titles in 3 different weight classes at the same time. now its obviously way easier now because of all of the inbetween weight classes and phoney belts but i do think that what armstrong did is still possible. i think the hardest thing about it is that most fighters take low risk high reward fights. i think that promoters might be the biggest problem. i dont think that they would chance their fighters of getting KO'd by taking such a risk or i dont think that a promoter is going to let their welterweight fighter fight a featherweight. so i think if you get the right fighter fighting champs that arent that great, it could happen, but i dont think that the fights from a business standpoint would come to pass.

what about the attendance record? from what i found it was chavez vs haugen had a little less than 150 thousand people. that is a ton. i know that tunney and dempsey had like 120 thousand. they were outdoors of course. do you think those records will ever be broken? i think they could but its going to take a very popular fighter from a country that regards that fighter as a hero just like chavez in mexico and dempsey in america.
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Re: Boxing feats that are possible to break

Post  EnragedSlayer on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 pm

The holding 3 titles in 3 different weight classes could be difficult to do nowadays seeing as belt organizations don't really like when a fighter has a belt in two different weight classes. Wasn't Martinez forced to vacate his junior middleweight title when he won the middleweight title. Also with holding 3 belts in different weight classes mandatories could be a problem.
EnragedSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:40 pm

there are several records and or feats in sports that will never be broken.some career wise some in a year or some that were done more then once by the same guy.in baseball basketball i can name several that wont be touched.
in boxing no one will ever break louis record of title defenses of a legit lineal title.no one.phoney belts are just that phoney and so are the defenses..in armstrongs case again we will never see a guy holiding 3 legit belts at the same time..if the phoney divisions and 4 or 5 belt holders in each division were in hanks time he would of won the 130 140 ad 154 belts litterly by cherry picking.thats 6 at the same time and a draw with garcia for a middle belt he almost would of had 7...
arum said incorrectly that robinson -lamotta fought 6 tmes and its a record..far from it.who has it i dont know but langford fought harry wills either 25 or 26 times.chavez jr was at one time 87-0.for a real world champ thats a record.
robinson was 132-2-2 when he retired for about 3 years.pep was 134-1-1 .thats before his involintary retirement called a plane crash and a few years after.for world class fighters that will never happen again.thoses are great feats.
for elite fighters battling nelson fought ad wolgast i think and there fight had 42 knockdowns.
in baseball for example hornsby hit 400 or better 4 times and for a 5 year period averaged over 400.babe ruth by himself one year hit more home runs then every team in the majors did and twice by himself hit more homers then every team in the american league did.dimaggio hit safely in 73 out of 74 games.
wilt chamberlain i one year average 50.4 points per game.and one year including playoffs he played every second of everygame.unbreakable records or feats.you came to the right place.
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:33 am

the problem is that the abc organizations are the main reason for making it so difficult. the phoney titles make it almost impossible to become the lineal champ at a weight class. its also a lot easier to duck fighters.
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Ruslan Chagaev is my hero.....
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top