Larry Merchant is done at HBO

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Larry Merchant is done at HBO

Post  Diego408 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 pm

According to reports hes gone, but will work with HBO sports from time to time. They tried to get rid of him in 2008, but the public forced HBO to keep him for 5 more years. Just crazy how we lost Stewart and Merchant this year from the HBO commentating crew.
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Re: Larry Merchant is done at HBO

Post  captainanddew on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 pm

while I would want Larry to stay, he is in his 80s.

I'm just sad that we have Roy Jones and Kellerman as the analysts.

While I like Roy much more now than his first go round, I still don't think that much of him as an analyst.

Kellerman was better as the studio analyst for FNF. Talking about mythical matchups, upcoming fights, etc.... (boxing geek style stuff or basically a diehard fan like us getting to talk boxing on air every week).

When Max is on HBO as a fight analyst, it just doesn't fit that well. I honestly think he fits better on a boxing talk show or radio show, or something like that. Somewhere where he can give opinions about the type of stuff diehard fans want to talk about, not the analysis of the fight taking place.

captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Good riddance!!!
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 pm

Roy sounds worse than Larry at times.
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:21 am

Does this answer your stupid question Larry?
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8748361/manny-pacquiao-juan-manuel-marquez-drug-tests-negative-says-nsac
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 am

Larry needed to go after that infamous moment in the Caballero-Daud fight, when he struggled in vain to remember Larry Hazzard's name. He blamed it all on "cold medicine" (vodka)
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:44 am

captainanddew wrote:while I would want Larry to stay, he is in his 80s.

I'm just sad that we have Roy Jones and Kellerman as the analysts.

While I like Roy much more now than his first go round, I still don't think that much of him as an analyst.

Kellerman was better as the studio analyst for FNF. Talking about mythical matchups, upcoming fights, etc.... (boxing geek style stuff or basically a diehard fan like us getting to talk boxing on air every week).

When Max is on HBO as a fight analyst, it just doesn't fit that well. I honestly think he fits better on a boxing talk show or radio show, or something like that. Somewhere where he can give opinions about the type of stuff diehard fans want to talk about, not the analysis of the fight taking place.

I'll miss Larry Merchant.

Kellerman is obnoxious and Jones sounds like a moron. Looks like I'll be muting HBO again when I watch their fights. This may be the worst annnouncing crew in recent history.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:00 am

frank ill miss larry also.and manny stewart.both overall were excellent.larry had a style once you got used to him lowering his head a bit then asking a question in that slow way like he was searching for the exact correct words to say well he then was on the money in his thoughts.
over the years so many times larry would come out with a statement in brief saying what was happening in the ring or what a fighter was doing well before even the great stewart did.his observations were mostly accurate and done in a classic style.
he in his own way set a high standard in the profession much like the best there ever will be in blow by blow category like don dunphy.
larry had a way of delivering his insite and at times a vision of the fights outcome.one of my favorites is the tyson -douglas fight when after the third round larry stated.douglas said he would shock the world.i dont know about that but hes certainly shocked me.
on jones frank i agree.he adds zero to the team.shuff his little laugh please and rarely does jones give us a intelligent insite to whats going on like stewart.he has to be asked by lampkey things then jones ansers the question and most of the time its a poor fill in the blank type of thing anser.they actualy have to pull it out of jones.
i think larry that night realized he was slipping and could not deliever in the standard he wanted to any longer.
max jones lampkey yes mute the sound at least you wont here compubox every 30 seconds.
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:12 am

I'll miss Larry. I've had my ups and downs with him but he's a legend.

I actually like Max and Lampley is good at what he does. My biggest issue with HBO is they've become cheerleaders for "their" fighters instead of commentators for the fight. I hope Paulie Malignaggi replaces Roy because I think there has to be somebody on there to keep everyone honest about what's actually happening. He knows the sport, loves to talk, and says what he thinks. Larry slipped a little (IMO) when he got older, but he kept people honest.
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Well him saying Marquez was on Steriods wasn't any help to keep his job. This guy is the biggest Manny Pacquiao homer in the media, bigger than Fat Dan is. Hes always had this biased in every Pacquiao fight. He really did instigate Mayweather's outburst last year.
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Gumby wrote:I'll miss Larry. I've had my ups and downs with him but he's a legend.

I actually like Max and Lampley is good at what he does. My biggest issue with HBO is they've become cheerleaders for "their" fighters instead of commentators for the fight. I hope Paulie Malignaggi replaces Roy because I think there has to be somebody on there to keep everyone honest about what's actually happening. He knows the sport, loves to talk, and says what he thinks. Larry slipped a little (IMO) when he got older, but he kept people honest.

paulie is damn good at providing small useful pieces of technical analysis. only problem I have with him is he can't score a fight for shit. Wonder why Showtime just doesn't get a former judge like HBO instead of their analysts scoring the fight while watching?

Oh yeah, the Chuck Giampa episode.

Al: Chuck tell us what you will be doing tonight on the broadcast.

Chuck: Tonight I'll be taking you inside the mind of a judge. (proceeds to stare blankly into the camera for at least 5 seconds).

Chuck: Tonight I'll be taking you inside the mind of a judge. (proceeds to start blankly into the camera for at least 5 seconds).

Chuck: Shit.

Seriously, Paulie is good and Showtime would be smart to keep him. Showtime needs to get a former judge who can talk and give a judge's scorecard during fights. HBO desperately needs to find someone other than Max and ESPECIALLY ROY. While I think Max is better served in a studio type setting like he was on FNF, he isn't horrible. Roy-he's horrible.

captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 am

Not a big fan of Paulie. He talks way too fast and doesn't sound professional.

Tarver was only removed because of the roids. He was definitely a more polished commentator than Paulie.

Roy provides the best insight in my opinion. He's also known to predict dramatic events right before they happen. I think him and Max work well together. Max times his questions in the middle of fights perfectly, asking Roy to give insight on a specific topic.
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:25 am

i dont really mind roy like everyone else. i dont mind max either. im just ready for some new blood on HBO.
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top