The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are the rich morally obligated to pay more in taxes?

3 posters

Go down

Are the rich morally obligated to pay more in taxes? Empty Are the rich morally obligated to pay more in taxes?

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 pm

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/rich-moral-obligation-pay-higher-taxes-jerry-brown-135940376.html

The Governor of California used the bible to explain how rich people are morally obligated to pay more in taxes. Personally I disagree and agree.

Should they pay more? HELL YES.

Are they morally obligated by the bible? HELL NO!!!

We have a separation of church and state Governor. The only way they would be morally obligated is if those rich people were devote Christians.

Sometimes our politicians forget not everyone believe in the Christian faith. I personally am a Christian but I realize this country is great because you dont have to be.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Are the rich morally obligated to pay more in taxes? Empty Re: Are the rich morally obligated to pay more in taxes?

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/rich-moral-obligation-pay-higher-taxes-jerry-brown-135940376.html

The Governor of California used the bible to explain how rich people are morally obligated to pay more in taxes. Personally I disagree and agree.

We have a separation of church and state Governor. The only way they would be morally obligated is if those rich people were devote Christians.

Sometimes our politicians forget not everyone believe in the Christian faith. I personally am a Christian but I realize this country is great because you dont have to be.

You're wrong. Governor Brown means ethically or culturally moral, not religiously moral. Morality is not exclusive to just religion. There are plenty of Atheists that live by a strict moral code not defined by religion. This has nothing to do with the bible. Liberals and Democratic moral code (Not defined by religion) usually dictates that fairness, in this instance taxes, is held to highest regard. Conservatives typically consider loyalty and respect their barometer for morality.

Cultural morality is a shared belief by a group of how things should more or less be. It's pretty much how we define our political parties.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Are the rich morally obligated to pay more in taxes? Empty Re: Are the rich morally obligated to pay more in taxes?

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:44 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/rich-moral-obligation-pay-higher-taxes-jerry-brown-135940376.html

You're wrong. Governor Brown means ethically or culturally moral, not religiously moral. Morality is not exclusive to just religion. There are plenty of Atheists that live by a strict moral code not defined by religion. This has nothing to do with the bible. Liberals and Democratic moral code (Not defined by religion) usually dictates that fairness, in this instance taxes, is held to highest regard. Conservatives typically consider loyalty and respect their barometer for morality.

Cultural morality is a shared belief by a group of how things should more or less be. It's pretty much how we define our political parties.
he quoted the bible. I didn't put that part in there he did
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:08 pm

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2012/10/jerry-brown-says-only-god-can-watch-over-every-state-employee.html

Only God Can Watch Over every state employee was the quote. This was in regards to Caltrans employees using state vehicles for personal use. Not the Proposition 30 topic in taxing the top tier earners in California to make room for school subsidies.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 pm

This is what I was referring to. Maybe someone out in California can help me out and tell me if this is a big deal out there.

To further promote Prop. 30 and appeal to religious voters, Brown cited the Bible. "Luke 12:48 says: 'For those of whom much has been given, much is required.' Those at the high end can brace themselves for seven years and lend school kids a helping hand. I appeal to their sense of loyalty and fairness,"
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:23 am

i believe that a specific percentage should be taxed. there shouldnt be an adjustement based on your income. that way, its fair. if its about morals, the rich can give to charity rather than paying more taxes.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:53 am

Soonermark890 wrote:This is what I was referring to. Maybe someone out in California can help me out and tell me if this is a big deal out there.

To further promote Prop. 30 and appeal to religious voters, Brown cited the Bible. "Luke 12:48 says: 'For those of whom much has been given, much is required.' Those at the high end can brace themselves for seven years and lend school kids a helping hand. I appeal to their sense of loyalty and fairness,"

With national and world news driving all medium of communication had this been an outrage we would have already known, social media would have been all over this. From what I've read there is no public outrage about it as he was trying to appeal to his largely Latino Catholic and Evangelical base/ audience, if you read further in the article he spoke Spanish during the speech as well. Prop 30 is tanking and he's grasping at straws to get it pushed through. You're taking what he's said out of context, and I think you are confused about the different kinds of mortality and that one doesn't need religion to dictate moral code.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:40 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:This is what I was referring to. Maybe someone out in California can help me out and tell me if this is a big deal out there.

With national and world news driving all medium of communication had this been an outrage we would have already known, social media would have been all over this. From what I've read there is no public outrage about it as he was trying to appeal to his largely Latino Catholic and Evangelical base/ audience, if you read further in the article he spoke Spanish during the speech as well. Prop 30 is tanking and he's grasping at straws to get it pushed through. You're taking what he's said out of context, and I think you are confused about the different kinds of mortality and that one doesn't need religion to dictate moral code.
No I completely understand all your points. Actually I agree with everything you said. The entire article was about christian based morality and if it has a place in our taxes. Morals in general can come from anywhere. Every society sets their own morals. I have the hardest time teaching that point to my seniors that you cant judge other societies based on our beliefs.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:43 am

powerpuncher wrote:i believe that a specific percentage should be taxed. there shouldnt be an adjustement based on your income. that way, its fair. if its about morals, the rich can give to charity rather than paying more taxes.
I have wanted a flat tax for years. The only way a flat tax could work is if we have ZERO deductions. They should just tax our income and then we wouldn't even need to file tax returns. It should would simplify things. I wonder what the rate would have to be to cover our government costs?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:45 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:i believe that a specific percentage should be taxed. there shouldnt be an adjustement based on your income. that way, its fair. if its about morals, the rich can give to charity rather than paying more taxes.
I have wanted a flat tax for years. The only way a flat tax could work is if we have ZERO deductions. They should just tax our income and then we wouldn't even need to file tax returns. It should would simplify things. I wonder what the rate would have to be to cover our government costs?
im not at all a conspiracy theorist, but there are certain things like not having a flat tax that to me seems like either people are idiots or that the rich are trying to make excuses why they shouldnt be taxed more money and people actually believe it. another example are bailouts. they say that it will hurt the economy if we dont do bailouts. the only reason it hurts it is because we set up a system to where it will hurt us. if we stopped bailing out companies, there may be a recession, but then we would get over that hump and never have to deal with it again.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:48 am

powerpuncher wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
im not at all a conspiracy theorist, but there are certain things like not having a flat tax that to me seems like either people are idiots or that the rich are trying to make excuses why they shouldnt be taxed more money and people actually believe it. another example are bailouts. they say that it will hurt the economy if we dont do bailouts. the only reason it hurts it is because we set up a system to where it will hurt us. if we stopped bailing out companies, there may be a recession, but then we would get over that hump and never have to deal with it again.
+1000000000000000 I completely agree and I think most of the educated people in the country agree. The rich use the media to put out lies.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum