The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berto vs Guerrero

+7
Diego408
kbyte
powerpuncher
hardcorebee24
flapanther2001
Soonermark890
captainanddew
11 posters

Go down

Berto vs Guerrero Empty Berto vs Guerrero

Post  captainanddew Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm

From a Ring Magazine article; we have another good fight

Welterweight contender Robert Guerrero, of Gilroy, Calif., will face two-time 147-pound beltholder Andre Berto, of Winter Haven, Fla., in an HBO-televised clash on Nov. 24 at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, Calif., a fight for which both boxers will receive "seven-figure pay days," according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.

The bout could be for the WBC welterweight title, currently held by Floyd Mayweather, who hasn't defended that belt since stopping Victor Ortiz last September. If Mayweather is stripped of the title, Guerrero, who won the sanctioning organization's interim belt by beating Selcuk Aydin in his last bout would be "upgraded" to full title status.

As part of the deal, both Guerrero (30-1-1, 18 knockouts) and Berto (28-1, 22 KOs) have contractually agreed to mandatory drug testing by the United States Anti-Doping Agency, said Schaefer. Discussions about the clash were originally reported by BoxingScene.com.

"Guerrero verus Berto is done. It's going to happen on Nov. 24 from Ontario, Calif," said Schaefer. "They have a venue called the [Citizens Business Bank Arena] which is owned and operated by A.E.G., the same people who own The [Los Angeles] Staples Center."

Guerrero-Berto will headline a triple-header to include a contracted 152-pound bout between hard-punching welterweight puncher Keith Thurman (18-0, 17 KOs) and former WBO welterweight beltlholder Carlos Quintana (29-3, 23 KOs), as well as a WBO lightweight title bout matching contenders Richard Abril (17-3-1, 8 KOs) and Sharif Bogere (23-0, 15 KOs).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Berto vs Guerrero Empty Re: Berto vs Guerrero

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Hmm I really dont know who to pick in this one.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:25 pm

I doubt Guerrero has enough power to put Berto away at 147.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:53 am

flapanther2001 wrote:I doubt Guerrero has enough power to put Berto away at 147.

Cosme Rivera dropped Berto. Just sayin'.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:58 am

well i would say that berto a few years ago wins for sure. the only reason im skeptical now is because he has had a very long layoff and maybe since he wont have any help from his PEDs, he wont be as good.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 am

I think if Guerrero can handle Berto's power then he'll win the fight no problem. To be honest I think Berto is just a bum blessed with good power and handspeed. He not very good at all imo.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:06 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:I doubt Guerrero has enough power to put Berto away at 147.

Did Rivera "put him away"?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:38 pm

kbyte wrote:I think if Guerrero can handle Berto's power then he'll win the fight no problem. To be honest I think Berto is just a bum blessed with good power and hand speed. He not very good at all imo.
I agree, Berto has no boxing skills. He has good speed and decent power, but cant box and has no defense. If Guerrero can take his punches, Guerrero wins it pretty lopsided. However no way in hell does Guerrero KO Berto. Guerrero has no power at Welter. He'll out punch Berto because of his high output, but I wouldnt be surprised if Berto can hurt him or drop him. Berto to needs to out muscle Guerrero in order to win.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:33 am

Diego408 wrote:
kbyte wrote:I think if Guerrero can handle Berto's power then he'll win the fight no problem. To be honest I think Berto is just a bum blessed with good power and hand speed. He not very good at all imo.
I agree, Berto has no boxing skills. He has good speed and decent power, but cant box and has no defense. If Guerrero can take his punches, Guerrero wins it pretty lopsided. However no way in hell does Guerrero KO Berto. Guerrero has no power at Welter. He'll out punch Berto because of his high output, but I wouldnt be surprised if Berto can hurt him or drop him. Berto to needs to out muscle Guerrero in order to win.

Berto does make some great swish sound effects though.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:13 pm

kbyte wrote:I think if Guerrero can handle Berto's power then he'll win the fight no problem. To be honest I think Berto is just a bum blessed with good power and handspeed. He not very good at all imo.
Agreed. I've always thought that a talented, fundamentally sound boxer who wasn't scared of Berto could easliy beat him. If Guerrero meets this description, he should win without any major problems.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:27 am

Speaking of VADA, both fighters preferred to use them in this fight. In fact, VADA contacted Guerrero and offered him a sponsorship to do testing under their protocol. Instead, Golden Boy and Berto adviser Al Haymon were deferred to and they went with their drug testing agency of choice, USADA. As previously reported by several news sources and confirmed with Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer himself, USADA’s cost for two fighters to be tested for training camp (roughly 8-12 weeks) is $100,000. VADA estimates their costs, which, in their protocols, includes the more expensive CIR (Carbon Isotope Ratio testing, which detects synthetic testosterone) as a screening tool 100% of the time, to be $10,000 for two fighters. In the case of Guerrero vs. Berto, they were offering it for free.

So to keep score: VADA has caught Andre Berto and Lamont Peterson for two very different drugs and its being offered for free. USADA has no track record of catching anyone in boxing and costs $80,000 more than their competitors and for this fight costs $100,000 more.

???????????????
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 am

interesting post.lets see we will or want to spend 10 times more and get for our money a less effective testing company.thats cost effective because our boy can slide under the radar with that company.by that math and catch rate testing the olympics which has thousands of folks and they catch 2 or 3 with a tab over 100 million such a deal.
this drug testing is a scam.if it isnt the correct choice is spend 10 grand with the better company.with this cost factor just a few boxers will get tested.not the whole card which will run a million dollars.for what to catch zero folks.id much rather give them a lie detector test.much cheaper and far more effective then the olympic testing results unless you believe that one onehundredth of thoses folks only cheat.if you believe that i got a parcel of swampland in florida to sell you and ill toss in ownership to the george washington bridge for free.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:39 pm

As for the fight, it is interesting to me because Berto has good power. While RG isn't chinny, he looked bothered by Aydin's shots at 147. RG was dropped by an ancient casamyor at 140 (a career lightweight).

if Berto isn't too rusty, which is a major concern, his power makes this an interesting fight.

I think reasonable people could disagree and make rational arguments for either fighter. Should be fun.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:29 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Did Rivera "put him away"?

No.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Guerrero is the better boxer, but Berto has all of the physical gifts/advantages in this fight. If The Ghost doesn't get caught too many times, he has a good chance of winning, if he does get caught, he's going to get KO'd. It's as simple as that...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:57 pm

hillsicc303 wrote:Guerrero is the better boxer, but Berto has all of the physical gifts/advantages in this fight. If The Ghost doesn't get caught too many times, he has a good chance of winning, if he does get caught, he's going to get KO'd. It's as simple as that...

the only other factor that is weighing on my mind is inactivity. 14.5 months without a fight is a long time.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down