Message Boards

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Message Boards

Post  boxinglawyer on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Recently, I have seen a trend of message boards that is starting to bug me. Its probably because I am old and cranky, but in a couple cases its because I KNOW the people involved. What the heck am I talking about? This trend of talking about people like they are garbage or sub-human. Its become a real problem for me. On a certain college football board I just lost my shit on a guy who was talking about how classess a university and its administrators were for rescinding a scholarship offer. He made comments on these peoples personal lives, habits, and morality. Thing is, he doesnt know them at ALL and I DO! I worked with a couple of these people and they are CLASS people with real dignity and compassion. Heck, I played baseball with one of the administrators and talk to him weekly! It really set me off! When I called the internet moron on it and even offered him information that was not available in the "article" he read, he just said "they are public people so they have no rights". Idiotic statement on soooo many levels, but it got me thinking. On THIS very board I have had to defend friends who have been accused of criminal activity or corruption because they scored against some fans favortie fighter, etc. I know several fighters who frequent message boards and one prominent match-maker who does as well. I guess my question is this, If you knew the person you were posting about was going to read the comment and might even be on the same message board with you for months, would you still post the same things?!

boxinglawyer

Posts : 373
Join date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  Tobe on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Message boards in general are a haven for people who want to pick fights and spew ignorant, half-informed garbage. I try to seek out places where that sort of thing is minimized (which is why I stay here) but clearly people most places either don't think the people they slag will ever read what they post, or they simply don't care. I imagine it's more of the latter.

To paraphrase Nelson from the Simpsons, posting personal attacks on the Internet is a victimless crime - like punching someone in the dark.
avatar
Tobe

Posts : 1042
Join date : 2010-10-21
Location : Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  flapanther2001 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 pm

As much as we have disagreed in the past, I understand & agree with you. If anybody actually knew whom the were talking about on a personal level, it would change their MOD. Anonymity makes people awfully brave.
avatar
flapanther2001

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  powerpuncher on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 pm

people say things on the internet that they would never say in person. with that said, ive never made any personal attack to anyone on any message board ever because i dont know any person personally. but i am a very straight forward person in real life. in my family, we debate a lot. we dont get mad at each other but there are things that we totally disagree on and arent afraid to express it. thats how i am. if i totally disagree with a judge in boxing then i will say it whether they read it or not because i want people to know what i really think.

i never say anything to be mean and i can say 100% that i have never been mad at anybody on a message board. sometimes people can be annoying but it doesnt anger me. so i wont make any personal attacks, but i will tell you if i think you are wrong just as i expect someone to tell me that they think that im wrong.
avatar
powerpuncher

Posts : 2643
Join date : 2010-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  dmar5143 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:25 am

BL your correct.the internet is loaded with folks that just seek out to discredit folks even if they dont know what there talking about..the crazies i call them.there on forums of every nature or topic.yes even here the word corruption has been misused badly.i have accused the abc boys like the wbc wba as being corrupt but theres evidence in the past that you can point to in arguing your point..as far as saying arum bought off judges to give bradley a win or bought out judges in other descions or golden boy did the same thing has pissed me off to no end and i stated so on here.
i believe if you cant say it to a persons face then dont type it on the net in any forum.
your correct in speaking out on behalf of folks you know especialy when you believe a injustice is being delivered against them.at time i have wished folks would type there own name on any forum instead of a psuedo name.i would...my dmar5143 came from my original google name but the d stands as the first letter of my first name amd the mar are the first 3 letters of my last name and the 5143 is my birth date.may 1 1943..
its a shame folks hide behind a computer and do this...at one time i was on a few opera forums for years and i signed in with my full real name.i disagreed in debate at times with others with deep pasion sometimes.
the cowards that hide behind a computer without revealing who they are are usualy ones that lack integrity or character or both.
good for you for defending your friends.
avatar
dmar5143

Posts : 2248
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 74

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  Frank on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 am

I think BL makes some good points. However, a public figure needs a very thick skin.

I know the family of a famous basketball coach. I was a little surprised when they kept looking at hecklers in the crowd who were insulting the coach. It's much more of an insult to just ignore these people.

The greatest celebs I ever saw deal with the crowd were professional wrestlers. The way the bad guys from the NWA used to ignore the crowd was priceless. I was only 12 at the time but I'll never forget that. LOL

I don't see the attacks on celebs as personal because the writer or heckler rarely knows them. If they knew them on a personal level, they probably would like them or a least be too embarrassed to insult them in any way.

I would think that any sports figure (Especially one with a big mouth) who frequents message boards specifically to see what is written about them is a bit parnoid and narcissistic. For example, as much as I loved Muhammad Ali, I could easily see how someone else could dislike him. So could he. LOL I also liked Ray Leonard, however some people may have been justified in seeing him as arrogant and self centered. Judging by his present humble and mature persona, he may have realized that himself.

I will say that if any public figure, an athlete or anyone, makes an aggressive verbal attempt to bring down the reputation of another person, they should be prepared for a vicious and consistent public backlash. I would also state this about public figures who fabricate stories. Most of the critiques I've written on here were directly aimed at boxers who were personally attacking other athletes, or claiming things about their careers that were blatent lies. I would have no problem confronting these athletes in a structured debate with a moderator and a studio audience. No problem at all.

Frank

Posts : 1930
Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  powerpuncher on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:03 pm

i just realized. havent some of you same people hated on mayweather and said how bad of a person he is? whether or not there is evidence, you dont know him so you are judging him and doing the same thing that you are preaching against.
avatar
powerpuncher

Posts : 2643
Join date : 2010-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  Frank on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:13 pm

powerpuncher wrote:i just realized. havent some of you same people hated on mayweather and said how bad of a person he is? whether or not there is evidence, you dont know him so you are judging him and doing the same thing that you are preaching against.
MW has a personality straight out of professional wrestling or a comic book. He attracts hatred to build up the gates to his fights. I think if somebody literally hates him, they need psychiatric help. A lot of folks don't like him though and he relishes in it. Do you ever see him at the Basketball games when they start cheering Pacs name? He's all smiles. He realizes he causes these reactions.

Frank

Posts : 1930
Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  dmar5143 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:19 pm

powerpuncher wrote:i just realized. havent some of you same people hated on mayweather and said how bad of a person he is? whether or not there is evidence, you dont know him so you are judging him and doing the same thing that you are preaching against.
..PP i dont understand what you are saying.on mayweather for example thoses that say hes not a good guy should be based on the evidence thats placed before the writer.if theres no evidence and in floyds case theres enough to draw a conclution wheather you know him or not.but if theres no evidence i agree then theres no basis for what you call hate..example on jerry sandusky none of us know him personaly but ceratnly we can draw a conclution on him as a person based on the evidence dispite what sandusky says to the contrary in his defense and dispite the good deeds he claims to have made in his life ..can you please clarify your thoughts because i dont understand them..maybe you choze a poor example..now if you said tim tebow and folks hate him based on his lifestyle and how he outwordly presents his thoughts on living a decent life then your correct.its unjustified hate.
avatar
dmar5143

Posts : 2248
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 74

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  flapanther2001 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:23 pm

powerpuncher wrote:i just realized. havent some of you same people hated on mayweather and said how bad of a person he is? whether or not there is evidence, you dont know him so you are judging him and doing the same thing that you are preaching against.
Floyd is huge public figure which is why everything he does gets blown up. Having said that, he has dome some pretty stupid shit that deserves ridicule. Smacking his ex, mistreating the security guards, having someone shot at, chasing a guy he hates down the streets of Vegas in his car, etc., don't exactly make him a pillar of society.
avatar
flapanther2001

Posts : 2962
Join date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  dmar5143 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Frank wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:i just realized. havent some of you same people hated on mayweather and said how bad of a person he is? whether or not there is evidence, you dont know him so you are judging him and doing the same thing that you are preaching against.
MW has a personality straight out of professional wrestling or a comic book. He attracts hatred to build up the gates to his fights. I think if somebody literally hates him, they need psychiatric help. A lot of folks don't like him though and he relishes in it. Do you ever see him at the Basketball games when they start cheering Pacs name? He's all smiles. He realizes he causes these reactions.
...frank i stongly disagree that if someone dislikes floyd a ton that they need psychiatric help.his personality isnt a put on like wresling.does bullying a security gaurd threatning your own kids or abusing a women or saying gee i dont know the folks who did that shoting etc etc part of the fake persona .
we can go on in on with floyd.i dislike him a ton based on several things and none are on what you call in his defence a fake thing just to sell tickets.lets get real here.to say that we need a shrink is way off base.period.
avatar
dmar5143

Posts : 2248
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 74

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  dmar5143 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:27 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:i just realized. havent some of you same people hated on mayweather and said how bad of a person he is? whether or not there is evidence, you dont know him so you are judging him and doing the same thing that you are preaching against.
Floyd is huge public figure which is why everything he does gets blown up. Having said that, he has dome some pretty stupid shit that deserves ridicule. Smacking his ex, mistreating the security guards, having someone shot at, chasing a guy he hates down the streets of Vegas in his car, etc., don't exactly make him a pillar of society.
...i agree totaly.100 percent accurate.
avatar
dmar5143

Posts : 2248
Join date : 2011-10-06
Age : 74

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  Frank on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
Frank wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:i just realized. havent some of you same people hated on mayweather and said how bad of a person he is? whether or not there is evidence, you dont know him so you are judging him and doing the same thing that you are preaching against.
MW has a personality straight out of professional wrestling or a comic book. He attracts hatred to build up the gates to his fights. I think if somebody literally hates him, they need psychiatric help. A lot of folks don't like him though and he relishes in it. Do you ever see him at the Basketball games when they start cheering Pacs name? He's all smiles. He realizes he causes these reactions.
...frank i stongly disagree that if someone dislikes floyd a ton that they need psychiatric help.his personality isnt a put on like wresling.does bullying a security gaurd threatning your own kids or abusing a women or saying gee i dont know the folks who did that shoting etc etc part of the fake persona .
we can go on in on with floyd.i dislike him a ton based on several things and none are on what you call in his defence a fake thing just to sell tickets.lets get real here.to say that we need a shrink is way off base.period.
I think all you guys need a shrink, including me. LOL

No really dmar, on a serious note, there are some things that I think you're missing here. For example, what the fuck is the girl inviting him back in the house for?? In this "particular" situation, I'd be very interested to see what the girl's reaction would be if someone attacked Floyd or intervened in an abusive situation. You may be unpleasantly surprised. I've said all I need to say about this situation.

Frank

Posts : 1930
Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  powerpuncher on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:04 am

dmar5143 wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:i just realized. havent some of you same people hated on mayweather and said how bad of a person he is? whether or not there is evidence, you dont know him so you are judging him and doing the same thing that you are preaching against.
..PP i dont understand what you are saying.on mayweather for example thoses that say hes not a good guy should be based on the evidence thats placed before the writer.if theres no evidence and in floyds case theres enough to draw a conclution wheather you know him or not.but if theres no evidence i agree then theres no basis for what you call hate..example on jerry sandusky none of us know him personaly but ceratnly we can draw a conclution on him as a person based on the evidence dispite what sandusky says to the contrary in his defense and dispite the good deeds he claims to have made in his life ..can you please clarify your thoughts because i dont understand them..maybe you choze a poor example..now if you said tim tebow and folks hate him based on his lifestyle and how he outwordly presents his thoughts on living a decent life then your correct.its unjustified hate.
for example, you may hate the things that mayweather does, but do you know him personally? potentially you could really like him in real life. you have no idea. and as boxinglawyer said, when you know somebody, you tend to be less harsh on them and have a more forgiving personality. so if your son, hypothetically speaking, did the things the floyd has done, would you still love him? i would say that most people would say yes, they would still love their son and probably say that in his heart, he is trying to be better but is just down a bad road at the moment. why would people say that? its because they love their son and will give them the benefit of the doubt.

now to a lesser extent, i would say that fixing fights is a morally wrong thing. getting paid to make someone win that didnt deserve it. its wrong on many levels (cheating the fans, cheating the fighter, etc). we know for a 100% fact that judges have in the past gotten paid to cheat a fighter. so when there is a fight like williams vs lara that the judges obviously without any doubt made the wrong guy win, there is a problem. so that is why we as fans judge the judges (no pun intended). we say that they were either paid off, or they dont know boxing, or they are blind because there is no way that anybody could see williams winning that fight. so if you know any one of those judges personally, like BL does, you give them the benefit of the doubt and tell people that they should stop being so harsh on them because they are "good people." then we could debate if they are "good people" because they are cheating a fighting of all of his hard work which could potentially rob him of higher profile fights down the road and more money.

so someone close to floyd could also say that floyd is a "good guy." he gives to charity and talks to fans and appreciates them. same as these boxing judges are decent people that probably have a lot of good qualities too. so IMO we should all actually be more forgiving of these people and hope that they can change, but we arent perfect and we all judge.
avatar
powerpuncher

Posts : 2643
Join date : 2010-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  Soonermark890 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:57 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:As much as we have disagreed in the past, I understand & agree with you. If anybody actually knew whom the were talking about on a personal level, it would change their MOD. Anonymity makes people awfully brave.
Absolutely perfect phrase. But everyone is guilty of calling people out and other stupid things online. Whats weird is I am way nicer online than I am in real life when it comes to a conflict.

_________________
FUCK KELLY PAVLIK!!!!
avatar
Soonermark890
Admin

Posts : 5749
Join date : 2010-10-20
Age : 35
Location : oklahoma

http://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Message Boards

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum