Kessler fail....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kessler fail....

Post  flapanther2001 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Magee? Seriously?
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8419960/mikkel-kessler-face-brian-magee-dec-8-familiar-denmark-venue

Super middleweight titlist Brian Magee and former three-time titleholder Mikkel Kessler will fight Dec. 8 in Herning, Denmark, promoter Sauerland Event announced Friday.

Magee and Kessler, who signed to fight each other last week without a specific date or venue, will meet at the Jyske Bank BOXEN, a 15,000-seat arena that opened in Kessler's home country in 2010.

Rafael's Boxing Blog

Rafael Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

The 33-year-old Kessler (45-2, 34 KOs) has fought in Herning twice in his past five bouts, including his hard-fought unanimous decision victory to win a title for the third time against Carl Froch in April 2010, a fight that was part of the Super Six World Boxing Classic.

"I look forward to fighting in Herning again," Kessler said. "The atmosphere was fantastic last time when I fought Carl Froch. The fans made the difference that night. Their support really lifted me to one of my greatest victories. With their help, I will become world champion again on Dec. 8."

Said promoter Kalle Sauerland: "The fans raised the roof that night. History repeats itself. We expect a sell-out crowd, a fantastic fight and another world title for the 'Viking Warrior.'"

Magee (36-4-1, 25 KOs) has twice previously fought in Denmark and scored knockout wins against hometown fighters.

He knocked out Mads Larsen in the seventh round in 2010 to win the vacant European super middleweight title.

In February, Magee knocked out Rudy Markussen in an interim world title defense. Magee, a 37-year-old southpaw from Northern Ireland, was later elevated to a full titlist and will be making his first defense against Kessler.

"It's up to Mikkel to restore the Danish fighting pride," Sauerland said. "But when he is at the top of his game, nobody can stop him. His KO over Allan Green (in the fourth round on May 19) was impressive. Magee is the next in line to taste the wrath of the Viking Warrior."
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Re: Kessler fail....

Post  captainanddew on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:34 pm

I understand it but I don't like it. Opponent he will beat. Big payday. Fight at home. But still a waste.

I think a big problem is that Froch and Kessler are likely to face off next Summer (per Froch's promoters statements a month or two ago). So Froch will have a hometown defense, he'll face Bute again in the Spring, and if he has won both bouts, will have a Kessler rematch. Kessler will do his part by beating up Magee (and getting a bogus trinket in the process).

Understand it, but don't like it.

captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 pm

froch and bute are both out of the picture and i doubt that he wants to fight ward again nor do i think ward wants to fight him either because there is no reason for it. so he is pretty limited at the moment. he is just holding off until he can get his rematch with froch next year.
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Still, beating Magee does nothing.
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:08 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Still, beating Magee does nothing.
its better than not fighting at all
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GhettoWizard on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Personally I think Kessler has lost his edge somewhat and it started back when he pulled out of the tourney. Froch has to concentrate on Mack and then the rematch with Bute so that keeps anything to do with Kessler off the radar to at least this time next year. Bute is moving up to 175 in his next fight with Grachev which is mind boggling since the Froch rematch would follow.

Tons of fights still around at 168 but it seems guys like Kessler and Abraham are satisfied with just hanging out at home and beating no hopers. Another byproduct of this risk/reward era. Anthony Dirrell has been waiting close to two years for a shot at Ward so the WBC instead of risking Ward's emerging stardom stripped him and made Ward super duper champion leaving the regular title to be bargained off. They did the same thing to Martinez. 168 is a little top heavy at the moment

GhettoWizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top