Khan chooses Virgil Hunter (Ward's trainer)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Khan chooses Virgil Hunter (Ward's trainer)

Post  captainanddew on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=57182#ixzz26lTIZmSu
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

by Ronnie Nathanielsz

Former WBC junior welterweight champion Amir Khan has asked WBC/WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward’s trainer to replace Hall-of-Famer Freddie Roach.

Khan has asked Virgil Hunter to train him from now on as he tries to regain his bearings after an embarrassing 4th round TKO loss in a WBC/WBA title fight against Danny Garcia last July 14.

A few days ago, Roach handed some advise to Khan's team - “I like Amir but they should keep him away from punchers.”

Hunter will be the 2004 British Olympic silver medalists fifth trainer since he turned pro in 2004.

Boxing critics have often ridiculed Khan over his seeming inability to take a punch ever since he was knocked out in 54 seconds of the first round against Breidis Prescott on September 6, 2008.

Like I said in the previous thread on him leaving Roach, I didn't think Kahn was going to request that his new trainer dump his fighters. Khan just wanted to be trained by someone that wasn't so overstretched and would have enough time for him. Hunter trains more than just Ward, but he isn't so strapped for time like Roach.

And honestly, Roach hasn't helped Kahn break some very bad habits, that being lunging/jumping in with his chin exposed. If he stays controlled and behind the jab his handspeed will win him fights.

captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Re: Khan chooses Virgil Hunter (Ward's trainer)

Post  dmar5143 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:29 pm

the change is fine.freddie didnt have a solution for kahns lunging.i laughed at freddies advise is to keep kahn away from punchers.note he didnt say big punchers which is half of the welter division when kahn moves up.pac bailey ortiz berto or in the 140 LM or maidana whos inbetween.he used the word punchers.that includes danny garcia lopez and others.so fight paulie m or bradley maybe alexander and thats it.read between the lines.roach is saying amir indeed has a glass jaw so keep that into mind when he fights anyone outside thoses 2 i mentioned.alexander is boarderline.
avoid the money fights because for the most part thoses guys are punchers..interesting.
kahns fabric is against freddies advise.the kid is a fighter who will throw down with anyone.he can box move and punch.he can and will make for exciting fights glass jaw and all.teach him how to slip a punch.roll his head.move with intelligence.his reflexes are fast enough to block punches.teach him to bend his knees at times .all this needs to be automatic.
kahn has the fluidity the smarts and the desire to learn and the fire to do the work.this is where roach i believed failed.
roach has a lot of fighters yes.so did ray arcel.the differnce is the quality of time and teachings one gave the other didnt.no top trainer can give you one on one on a semi-exclusive basis.kahn i believe is not looking for that but for someone that when spending quality time with him doesnt have his mind wandering in 10 directions.freddie has too too many interests outside of his fighters.nazim richardson for example does not.hunter does not.thats what i believe kahn was looking for.the fighters the star.in freddies case hes the star or even with pac or chavez hes the co-star.
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:20 pm

heck with Pac, freddie seems to be part promoter. He does his best to hype up the fights.

captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:35 am

hopefully the switch works out for khan. if it doesnt, then khan is about done at the top. i think that hunter can help him though. i believe that he will really work on defense and put him in with a fighter without much of a punch first and then throw him in there with someone who can bang. only time will tell.
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:45 am

And when it doesn't work out with Hunter, then what?

This guy has had 5 different trainers since turning pro. Hey my friend, it's not the trainers...IT'S YOU!!!

Khan is a naturally talented fighter, but his fundamentals are just terrible. He's just nowhere near the fighter that he, and many other people were making him out to be...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:54 am

So does this mean Khan is going to fight like Andre Ward now? This just seems ridiculous to me.
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:12 am

kbyte wrote:So does this mean Khan is going to fight like Andre Ward now? This just seems ridiculous to me.

no, but I'd guess he can learn to tuck his chin and not jump in like a rank amateur. If I was Hunter that is all I'd worry about. Box, don't have your chin up in the air, and don't jump in from 6 feet away.

captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 am

You can fix a broken heart easier than you can fix Khan's chin....
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Khan could wear head gear in each fight and still get knocked out. Hunter is a good Trainer, but not a miracle worker.
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:16 pm

captainanddew wrote:
kbyte wrote:So does this mean Khan is going to fight like Andre Ward now? This just seems ridiculous to me.

no, but I'd guess he can learn to tuck his chin and not jump in like a rank amateur. If I was Hunter that is all I'd worry about. Box, don't have your chin up in the air, and don't jump in from 6 feet away.

I'd be surprised if Freddie didn't tell him that though. I just don't think this will make any difference.
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Regardless of trainers, if Khan takes after Ward, he could go places. I don't think Khan's been around other fighters who have Ward's cerebral approach to boxing.
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  koolkc107 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:59 pm

If Hunter can teach Khan to be half as good defensively as Ward is, then this will prove to be a great move.

Maybe the last piece in the puzzle to making Amir truly elite.

koolkc107

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Khan's chin probably may always prevent him from becoming elite. All but the absolute best defensive wizards get hit.

But fighting like an idiot has to change. He jumps in like a complete idiot, with his chin in the air. Plain stupid.

captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:04 pm

captainanddew wrote:Khan's chin probably may always prevent him from becoming elite. All but the absolute best defensive wizards get hit.

But fighting like an idiot has to change. He jumps in like a complete idiot, with his chin in the air. Plain stupid.
+1 it's because of Roach that got him into doing that. It worked early on when he was fighting guys with zero punching power. When he started facing guys who threw with some heat, that's when it back fired. Maidana, Peterson and Garcia showed the weakness Roach left khan with. With Hunter, He'll teach Khan to be more patient and fight a lot smarter. He'll get actual game plans to win. Roach is really an overrated trainer.
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Roach is an overrated trainer and Khan is living proof of that. Khan has TERRIBLE defense.

Remember Khan's non-existent inside fighting vs. Peterson? Khan will learn how to fight on the inside with Hunter. That's for sure.
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Diego408 wrote:Khan could wear head gear in each fight and still get knocked out. Hunter is a good Trainer, but not a miracle worker.

Roach was training Khan to be an offensive fighter who had a weak chin.

Khan needs to become a defensive fighter first and an offensive fighter second. Right now he is an offensive fighter ONLY.
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Shaun wrote:
Diego408 wrote:Khan could wear head gear in each fight and still get knocked out. Hunter is a good Trainer, but not a miracle worker.

Khan needs to become a defensive fighter first and an offensive fighter second. Right now he is an offensive fighter ONLY.
Hunter will not make him look like Ward over night. Khans an older fighter, Hunter can't mold him any more. Hunter will just make him more cautious and fight a lot smarter. Khan has the tools to beat a lot of good fighters, what gets him beat up is he tries to exchange too much with his opponents. Khan can beat anyone by moving around and throwing that jab. Khan is a way better points fighter than a KO fighter.
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Shaun wrote:

Hunter will not make him look like Ward over night. Khans an older fighter, Hunter can't mold him any more. Hunter will just make him more cautious and fight a lot smarter. Khan has the tools to beat a lot of good fighters, what gets him beat up is he tries to exchange too much with his opponents. Khan can beat anyone by moving around and throwing that jab. Khan is a way better points fighter than a KO fighter.

Yes, but he didn't choose to "exchange" vs Lamont. Peterson's ruthless aggression forced Khan to fight inside (or illegally push) which is what cost him the fight.
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:50 am

Khan's just an overrated fighter guys, it's as simple as that. He just has too much ego to admit that fact to himself.

Roach may not be a defensive trainer, but do you think any of the other 4 guys he's had, had not tried to teach him some defense?

It's not the trainers Amir...it's YOU!!! Hunter's in for a rude awakening trying to teach an old, overrated dog some new tricks...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top