The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan leaves Roach...

+6
Diego408
captainanddew
UBeeg9cats
Soonermark890
dmar5143
flapanther2001
10 posters

Go down

Khan leaves Roach... Empty Khan leaves Roach...

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:31 pm

TWEET: Freddie Roach has been FIRED by Amir Khan! - "Officially, I've left Freddie Roach. Just spoke to him and had a good professional chat and maybe in the future we work together."
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Khan leaves Roach... Empty Re: Khan leaves Roach...

Post  dmar5143 Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:34 pm

i doubt freddie will work with him in any future.kahn said recently ill stay with you only if you leave pac and chavez jr..lol..its rumored seth mitchels trainer will be kahns next trainer.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:55 pm

That was dumb. Khan thinks he is a bigger name that what he is.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Ludicrous for him to demand Freddie leave Pac and Jr. Those are 2 guys that are worth similar money and have more momentum at this time. I am alright with him leaving though because a guy at his level with his chin needs to be a trainer's #1 priority. If you get him to protect that chin, he can be P4P again. Its a long shot but a worthy gamble for all but a handful of trainers.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:39 pm

a name supposedly floating around is Virgil Hunter, Ward's trainer.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:58 pm

captainanddew wrote:a name supposedly floating around is Virgil Hunter, Ward's trainer.
Will he demand he get rid of Ward?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:a name supposedly floating around is Virgil Hunter, Ward's trainer.
No way Virgil Hunter ever leaves Andre Ward. But who ever said Seth Mitchell's trainer is taking Khan, that's not Virgil Hunter. Virgil Hunter was training Chazz Witherspoon against Seth Mitchell and his trainer is Andre Hunter.

Btw Barry Hunter is the guy that trains the Peterson brothers. A lot of guys with the last name Hunter are training boxers in this sport.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Khan obviously needs a fresh perspective to his training, but demanding Freddie leave Pac and Bum Jr. is dumb. Not sure who he'll end up with, given his diva attitude could clash with trainers with high profile fighters.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
No way Virgil Hunter ever leaves Andre Ward. But who ever said Seth Mitchell's trainer is taking Khan, that's not Virgil Hunter. Virgil Hunter was training Chazz Witherspoon against Seth Mitchell and his trainer is Andre Hunter.

Btw Barry Hunter is the guy that trains the Peterson brothers. A lot of guys with the last name Hunter are training boxers in this sport.
..your right.the name hunter struck a cord and i thought thats mitchels trainer..i forgot wards trainer was also named hunter..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Saw this on Craigs List: Professional fighter seeks professional trainer. Must be willing to accept super ego & fragile chin. Trainers that insist on ab work need not reply.....send resume' to AKhan@exposed.com
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Saw this on Craigs List: Professional fighter seeks professional trainer. Must be willing to accept super ego & fragile chin. Trainers that insist on ab work need not reply.....send resume' to AKhan@exposed.com
LMAO
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:39 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Saw this on Craigs List: Professional fighter seeks professional trainer. Must be willing to accept super ego & fragile chin. Trainers that insist on ab work need not reply.....send resume' to AKhan@exposed.com
..funny lol.made my day.tweet that to kahn.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:41 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

it hasn't been stated by khan's team that his new trainer would have to dump their fighters. Roach focuses on pac and chavez. Between the two guys that eats up his time. And Roach has alot of other fighters.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:03 am

Khan's doing the right thing. A guy with a fragile chin needs defense. I doubt he'll turn his career around, but I don't think he was going any further than he did with Roach.

I think it's the end of a great run for Roach. Pac will retire soon, Chavez Jr. won't be a top fighter once he can no longer make 160lbs. Linares got blown up. He didn't hold on to Rigo or Benavidez. So his best fighter will be Quillin, who is very good but not great.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:27 am

I understand Khan's decision to leave Roach at this time, after watching Chavez vs Martinez 24/7 and the kid having his way with Roach in having him train at his rented mansion and then leaving L.A early because of "distractions" to Vegas. While Khan being also a Champion fighter having to crisscross the globe to have Roach train him as a second fiddle. Hunter is a good choice also Nazeem and Roger Mayweather more defensive minded coaches would do him some help.
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:03 am

i think that its a good decision. khan is a good fighter and he probably wants a trainer who mainly focuses on him. i cant hate on a guy for that. even if its a downgrade. whether or not roach is intentionally doing it, im sure that khan does feel like a second or third fiddle to roach. its no secret that roach isnt the greatest defensive minded trainer which is what khan needs.

overall, khan is doing what a lot of fighters do. when something isnt working, you try to fix it. i dont mind it. i think that khan is still a very talented fighter who just has a shaky chin. only time will tell if a new trainer can help him cope with it.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=57182#ixzz26lTIZmSu
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

by Ronnie Nathanielsz

Former WBC junior welterweight champion Amir Khan has asked WBC/WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward’s trainer to replace Hall-of-Famer Freddie Roach.

Khan has asked Virgil Hunter to train him from now on as he tries to regain his bearings after an embarrassing 4th round TKO loss in a WBC/WBA title fight against Danny Garcia last July 14.

A few days ago, Roach handed some advise to Khan's team - “I like Amir but they should keep him away from punchers.”

Hunter will be the 2004 British Olympic silver medalists fifth trainer since he turned pro in 2004.

Boxing critics have often ridiculed Khan over his seeming inability to take a punch ever since he was knocked out in 54 seconds of the first round against Breidis Prescott on September 6, 2008.

Like I said, I didn't think Khan was going to request that his new trainer drop all his fighters. He was going to take into account how many guys a trainer trains and where he would be on the totem pole. With Roach, Pac and Chavez were ahead of him. When those guys take up alot of Roach's focus, Khan felt like he needed someone who would give him more attention (right or wrong).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum