The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC 14: Sonnen vs. Silva II

+4
flapanther2001
SlickMoney
Rum Capital
freakzilla
8 posters

Go down

UFC 14: Sonnen vs. Silva II Empty Re: UFC 14: Sonnen vs. Silva II

Post  freakzilla Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:39 pm

I can't wait for the main event.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:28 am

linkkkk
silva's the only mma i'll watch
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:39 am

Rum Capital wrote:linkkkk
silva's the only mma i'll watch

It's over.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:42 am

Sonnen was so sloppy. He's not in control of his emotions.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:44 am

With no PEDS Sonnen does not make it out the second round! He was gassed from the 1st round and that knee to his chest did him no favors!!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:48 am

Fuck Sonnen.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:52 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:Fuck Sonnen.

+1
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:56 am

Sonnen lost it when he went for a spinning elbow. WTF?
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:11 am

freakzilla wrote:Sonnen lost it when he went for a spinning elbow. WTF?

He tried to fight like Anderson there
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm

freakzilla wrote:Sonnen lost it when he went for a spinning elbow. WTF?

that was such an ill-timed and unnecessary move. As long as he stayed under control, opportunities would come that would allow him to take Silva down.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:23 pm

when is someone going to get smart and beat the shit out of UFC management. all the fighters got paid 1.4-1.5 million total if numbers I saw online are correct.

This is a fucking travesty.

How many buys will it do???? Cotto vs Cheato II did 650000 buys or something like that. Cotto and Margarito got something like 8 million combined. I know the bottom 4 fights there got paid absolute peanuts. But the 3 other televised fights and the mike lee fights easily added another 500000 to 600000 to the total.

I have a problem with how boxing divides the pie to fighters in a big PPV (but I definitely like that fighters get a good damn % of the total pie).

How the fuck can a boxing PPV that gets 650000 buys pay the fighters approaching 8, 600,000 and a UFC PPV that is easily going to do that many buys (i'd guess what at least 900,000 minimum) going to pay fighters approximately 1/6th of the boxing amount.

I am becoming a big fan of UFC after years of not getting the sport. But this shit genuinely bothers me. I enjoy the sport, but when so much of the pie is going to everyone but the fighters it bothers me.

Is there anything I can do as a UFC fan???
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:28 pm

captainanddew wrote:when is someone going to get smart and beat the shit out of UFC management. all the fighters got paid 1.4-1.5 million total if numbers I saw online are correct.

This is a fucking travesty.

How many buys will it do???? Cotto vs Cheato II did 650000 buys or something like that. Cotto and Margarito got something like 8 million combined. I know the bottom 4 fights there got paid absolute peanuts. But the 3 other televised fights and the mike lee fights easily added another 500000 to 600000 to the total.

I have a problem with how boxing divides the pie to fighters in a big PPV (but I definitely like that fighters get a good damn % of the total pie).

How the fuck can a boxing PPV that gets 650000 buys pay the fighters approaching 8, 600,000 and a UFC PPV that is easily going to do that many buys (i'd guess what at least 900,000 minimum) going to pay fighters approximately 1/6th of the boxing amount.

I am becoming a big fan of UFC after years of not getting the sport. But this shit genuinely bothers me. I enjoy the sport, but when so much of the pie is going to everyone but the fighters it bothers me.

Is there anything I can do as a UFC fan???

Ya the numbers are crazy when it comes down to pay for the UFC guys! I thought they had like a set amount for each fighter? I remember Tito getting like 250k as a under card fighter and the main event guy getting like 90k? I bet Tito made more money on this Card than Sonnen too. When you make a fuss and get cut from the UFC and make even less $$$ you tend to shut up and let Dana have his way!!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:30 pm

There is nothing you can really do.

Dana realizes his guys have nowhere else to go, except smaller, regional based companies like ROC. The Japanese companies used to pay more, but many have fallen on hard times. Quite a few have screwed over foreign fighters, realizing that they can't do much about it. Only way Dana starts offering more, is if another company is able to start offering higher salaries.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:36 pm

The 2nd biggest company was Strikeforce but Zuffa bought that. Now the closest competitor is Bellator.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:42 pm

freakzilla wrote:The 2nd biggest company was Strikeforce but Zuffa bought that. Now the closest competitor is Bellator.

Who really can't offer much more than the UFC, unless they are willing to overpay for mid-level guys. UFC pretty much has had a stranglehold of the business in the states, long before Zuffa took over.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:52 pm

question for you ufc guys did you guys actually like the fight?
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Rum Capital wrote:question for you ufc guys did you guys actually like the fight?

I only watched the main event. Overall fight wasn't that good, but it was great seeing a guy as full of shit (and a white-collar criminal to boot) like Sonnen get his ass kicked. Since it looks like a fight with GSP will never happen, i'd like to see Silva take on Jones.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:
Rum Capital wrote:question for you ufc guys did you guys actually like the fight?

I only watched the main event. Overall fight wasn't that good, but it was great seeing a guy as full of shit (and a white-collar criminal to boot) like Sonnen get his ass kicked. Since it looks like a fight with GSP will never happen, i'd like to see Silva take on Jones.
The second round was okay but the first reminded as to why i stopped watching ufc. i wanted silva to somehow get up but the other guy just man hugged him for 5 minutes. it was so frustrating.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 pm

UFC tends to cater to grapplers. Still, it's hard to call for them to stand it up when a guy is landind shots, even if they have zero effect like they did against Silva. Sonnen actually would have been smarter to get back to his feet and try to keep taking him down, instead he gassed himself throwing punches that had little damage.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:44 pm

freakzilla wrote:The 2nd biggest company was Strikeforce but Zuffa bought that. Now the closest competitor is Bellator.

really need a rival company. These guys could get paid 2.5 times as much and UFC would still make good money.

I never thought anyone involved with a sport could be worse than Don King. Now, I think Dana White and Zuffa is much, much worse.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:37 am

captainanddew wrote:

really need a rival company. These guys could get paid 2.5 times as much and UFC would still make good money.

I never thought anyone involved with a sport could be worse than Don King. Now, I think Dana White and Zuffa is much, much worse.

It's the Fertitta's as much as it is White. What needs to happen is for some congressman who loves meddling in sports to figure out a way to make open up their books. But honestly, everyone set the landscape for this to happen by treating the UFC like a sideshow and not a legitimate sport. That opened the door for good businessmen to exploit a lot of loop holes.

I'm on record defending UFC payouts and I still do. $200,000-$300,000 in a night's work (about $500,000-$1,000,000 a year) isn't bad for the top of your profession. $10,000-$20,000 ($40,000-$80,000 a year) isn't bad for an entry level position. The guys who make less than that probably aren't cut of for the UFC and should seriously consider another line of work.

And because we don't know the costs that go into running the UFC and how much the top execs are making, it's hard to say the fighters are getting screwed. As a fan I'd rather see athletes underpaid as opposed to overpaid, and all I know is the UFC puts out a great, consistent product.

Sonnen's a chump. Does Anderson go after Bones? See if he can cement his legacy as arguably the best ever?
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 am

Gumby wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

It's the Fertitta's as much as it is White. What needs to happen is for some congressman who loves meddling in sports to figure out a way to make open up their books. But honestly, everyone set the landscape for this to happen by treating the UFC like a sideshow and not a legitimate sport. That opened the door for good businessmen to exploit a lot of loop holes.

I'm on record defending UFC payouts and I still do. $200,000-$300,000 in a night's work (about $500,000-$1,000,000 a year) isn't bad for the top of your profession. $10,000-$20,000 ($40,000-$80,000 a year) isn't bad for an entry level position. The guys who make less than that probably aren't cut of for the UFC and should seriously consider another line of work.

And because we don't know the costs that go into running the UFC and how much the top execs are making, it's hard to say the fighters are getting screwed. As a fan I'd rather see athletes underpaid as opposed to overpaid, and all I know is the UFC puts out a great, consistent product.

Sonnen's a chump. Does Anderson go after Bones? See if he can cement his legacy as arguably the best ever?

That doesn't pass the smell test.

Arum is obviously making alot of money when he does a PPV like Cotto cheato 2. Or he wouldn't do it. Very good money.

Arum and boxing promoters are greedy motherfuckers.

are the costs of running UFC so high that a PPV that has 200,000 or 300,000 more buys than a boxing PPV has the fighters getting 1/5 to 1/6 of what the boxers got paid.

That isn't rational. Even if the UFC costs were double boxing (which seems unreasonable) for putting on the PPV, the fighters are still getting absolutely screwed.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:10 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Gumby wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

Arum is obviously making alot of money when he does a PPV like Cotto cheato 2. Or he wouldn't do it. Very good money.

are the costs of running UFC so high that a PPV that has 200,000 or 300,000 more buys than a boxing PPV has the fighters getting 1/5 to 1/6 of what the boxers got paid.

That isn't rational. Even if the UFC costs were double boxing (which seems unreasonable) for putting on the PPV, the fighters are still getting absolutely screwed.
Let me preface this that I have no idea about any of this stuff and this is all speculation.

I don't know how unreasonable double the costs is. UFC 148 was in Brazil. And my understanding is that a lot is done in house, so you have to pay for production crews to fly over and probably pay a bunch of legal fees and permit fees. You probably can't charge as much at the gate. And there are more fighters that have to be paid. There were 22 guys on that card. There are a few guys who get paid peanuts but I'm pretty sure everyone on the main card gets a $20,000 minimum. Some guys like Silva obviously get more and probably get tv revenue or undisclosed bonuses. And the UFC is constantly doing this. Flying around the world and across the US to host major events in different areas. That costs money.

Then there's money that has to go into TUF and promoting PPVs. My assumption is that the UFC operates at a loss or near loss on Spike in order to get PPV profit.

And then there's the fact that the UFC is constantly spending money. I'm sure Pride, WEC, and Strikeforce were a lot of money. I bet there's a lot of money that gets passed around to buy out small organizations or limit their success. The UFC is probably spending way more in legal fees than most boxing promoters to try and keep things under wraps.

I feel like there's a lot more to it than: "the UFC fighters are underpaid, and Dana White is taking all of the money." I think a lot of that extra money is going back into the company. And until I see otherwise or there's a drop in the quality of the product the UFC is putting out, I'm good not worrying about it.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:45 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Gumby wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

the card did as many or more ppv buys than Cotto vs cheato 2. Cotto vs cheato II all the fighters on the card got about 8.6 million total. That PPV all the fighters got about 1.45 or 1.5 million per what has been reported online.

If you take out all the costs, there is still no way that the UFC guys should get this little. they are getting a much lower % than the boxers.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Can you link me to the pay breakdown for Cotto v. Margo II. My argument is that UFC guys are getting paid a fair amount and a lot of boxers are overpaid. UFCers are relatively underpaid compared to top athletes in other sports, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're underpaid. The UFC is still very young compared to other professional organizations as is MMA compared to other sports. It's a niche sport that's gone mainstream because of great marketing and a solid product (mainly the UFC). And in my last post I was just speculating that maybe the money fighters aren't being paid is getting reinvested back into the organization/sport which is a good thing, and something I think boxing is currently lacking.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down